Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

Very good news!

#62 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

He proved more than sheahan has, and more than nyquist had when he signed his deal so I understand it. Nyquist will get a better contract than Tatar after this year. I predict 4 million for 4 years or 5 for 5

#63 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Whether people love the money angle of the deal or not, at least we can say that the guy actually did something to earn his deal. I like it personally, especially considering we really haven't been spending to the cap the last few years. We didn't do as well as we perhaps could've by Tatar the last year or so, and giving him a deal like this makes up for it a bit without it truly being any sort of overpayment. 

-Elliot

#64 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

too much money. He best get 25-30 goals in each of his years...this is the reason the salary cap was put in place. There is no way a sub twenty goal scoring RFA should be anywhere near this amount. But it is Ken Holland. He hasn't changed anything in his approach. This means Diesel will get at least $4M.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#65 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

too much money. He best get 25-30 goals in each of his years...this is the reason the salary cap was put in place. There is no way a sub twenty goal scoring RFA should be anywhere near this amount. But it is Ken Holland. He hasn't changed anything in his approach. This means Diesel will get at least $4M.

You should probably look up what young 20 goal scorers get in this league these days. This is a good deal if he never gets more than 20, if he gets 25+ it's fantastic. It's also worth noting that Tatar is very much his own product, he hasn't been feeding off Dats or Z or the PP for his production.

#66 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Also I still hate the "diesel" nickname

#67 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

He will put up similar points like Hudler, but he is tougher
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#68 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

Whether people love the money angle of the deal or not, at least we can say that the guy actually did something to earn his deal. I like it personally, especially considering we really haven't been spending to the cap the last few years. We didn't do as well as we perhaps could've by Tatar the last year or so, and giving him a deal like this makes up for it a bit without it truly being any sort of overpayment. 

That's not true. Last year we were so close to the cap that we had to do all kinds of financial acrobatics to make it work.

Great to sign Tatar! Lead the Griffins to the Calder Cup and won the trophy for playoff MVP. scores 19 goals in 73 games in his first full season with the wings. I think the money is fine when you think of all that 

#69 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,204 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

Good, solid deal. I like that he's still going to be an RFA when it expires.

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never. And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating, as possibility!" - Kierkegaard

#70 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

He could've been overpaid and I wouldn't have cared. Probably my favorite Red Wing at the moment, glad to have him around for the next couple years. :thumbup:

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 28 July 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#71 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,540 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

Calling it.  He's the next Martin St. Louis.  Mark my words LGW. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#72 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Calling it.  He's the next Martin St. Louis.  Mark my words LGW. 

Your lips to YFMB's ears...

Minus the whole whining about being left off the Canadian Olympic team and daring to give lip to my lord and-er, captain the honorable Pope Yzerman the 1st.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#73 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

ok, ok, no more Diesel... :lol:

I said its too much so he better get 20-30 goals to prove he is worth it. If he never gets 20 then its way over payment. Closer to 30 and he is worth it for sure! In the end I am glad he is still a Red Wing! Go Tatar!

#74 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

Your lips to YFMB's ears...

Minus the whole whining about being left off the Canadian Olympic team and daring to give lip to my lord and-er, captain the honorable Pope Yzerman the 1st.

Haha if Tatar has trouble making the Slovakian Olympic team, there's a problem

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#75 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

he just may be the nextf****** all-star!

#76 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,372 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#77 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

I believe he is a key player on this squad.  He brings so much energy each night, and can score from multiple spots.  He isn't afraid to go to the hard spots and is good in low.  He has top speed and a knack for making key plays.  Good signing.

#78 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

Also I still hate the "diesel" nickname

It is aweful. And quite arbitrary... Luckily few people are using it, which speaks to it's quality as a nickname.

#79 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

Not saying Tatar is a money guy, but he's been up and coming for years for the wings and has always been held back, this is a good show of faith. Hopefully he hangs around longer than happy face.

#80 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

Good to see...With top 6 ice time, and pp time I can see this kid netting 30 plus goals.

'Evolution' created by Offsides