• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
germanwing

Samuelsson signs new contract....... with Djurgarden.

Rate this topic

Chris Johnston @reporterchris

Mikael Samuelsson is returning home to Sweden this season after signing with Djurgarden. Veteran winger played 699 NHL games.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/mikael-samuelsson-signs-with-djurgardens-if

Bye Sammy!

Edited by germanwing

As fun as it is to bash on Sammy, I'll never forget him for starting and finishing this play:

Also the two opening goals in Game 1 of the 2008 Finals against the Pens.

And the hundreds of logo shots.

Agreed.

All shin pad assassin jokes aside, Sammy was a bargain during his first stay here in Detroit. He had good size, was irritating to play against, and put up good numbers for his salary.

It's just unfortunate that Holland keeps repeating the mistake of bringing back former players, but I hold no ill will for Sammy.

Agreed.

All shin pad assassin jokes aside, Sammy was a bargain during his first stay here in Detroit. He had good size, was irritating to play against, and put up good numbers for his salary.

It's just unfortunate that Holland keeps repeating the mistake of bringing back former players, but I hold no ill will for Sammy.

Well said!

Exactly, HS. I liked the guy a lot. Quite frankly, if someone offered me big money to return to an old job that I liked but couldn't do as well as I once did it, and I knew they knew all about my physical state, I'd sure give it a go, especially if I was unemployed and looking for work.

I just wish he could have played one more game (not necessarily for us) to hit the 700 mark.

Best wishes, Sammy!

2176-MikaelSamuelsson.jpg

I agree with most people on here

Sammy was the perfect whipping boy especially since he was clutch in the playoffs

He was a good role player when we had such a stacked team, and was one of the few players willing to shoot.

Its too bad Holland decided to bring him back because now he'll always be placed into williams territory.

His playoff goal against the pens, for me is still one of my favorite goals. Something about that celly as he skated around the net pumping his fist after the wraparound just stuck in my head forever.

Forgot about the Chicago goal, although i completely remember it now. Classic Huds / Fil refusing to shoot the puck lol

Edited by WingsallTheway

I agree with most people on here

Sammy was the perfect whipping boy especially since he was clutch in the playoffs

He was a good role player when we had such a stacked team, and was one of the few players willing to shoot.

Its too bad Holland decided to bring him back because now he'll always be placed into williams territory.

His playoff goal against the pens, for me is still one of my favorite goals. Something about that celly as he skated around the net pumping his fist after the wraparound just stuck in my head forever.

Forgot about the Chicago goal, although i completely remember it now. Classic Huds / Fil refusing to shoot the puck lol

Great recap of those goals. Nice memories to bring back. I was definitely down on Sammy at the end in a big way, but I can't put him in Jason F***ing Williams territory simply because I agree he was good in his first stint. I think Williams was worse than Sammy period during both his tenures with the Wings.

Great point about him being willing to shoot at least. Didn't people call him Shotgun Sammy at some point?

Edited by TheXym

Great recap of those goals. Nice memories to bring back. I was definitely down on Sammy at the end in a big way, but I can't put him in Jason F***ing Williams territory simply because I agree he was good in his first stint. I think Williams was worse than Sammy period during both his tenures with the Wings.

Great point about him being willing to shoot at least. Didn't people call him Shotgun Sammy at some point?

Probably lol, there was also logo hunter and shinpad assassin.

Of course Sammy isn't AS bad as Williams, who IMO was the worst forward ive seen play for the DRW since the lockout. That said, Sammy was a whole different breed of bad this season. His poor play even translated into GR, where he managed -4 in 2 games.

Edited by WingsallTheway

Don't forget he also had those two goals in 07 to clinch the series in San Jose.

Bye Sammy, I'm pretty sure you don't care how you tarnished your lasting reputation with Wings fans by coming back - in fact I can think of 6 million reasons why you won't care.

Edited by Nev

Holland's the idiot for bringing him back when he did. You can't really blame Sammy for signing. It was frustrating and I absolutely couldn't stand that we had him the last two years given the circumstances, but I'll be damned if I throw his whole career under the bus because Holland can't find a way to make good signings anymore. He had some great moments for us during that first stint and it truly is a shame the memory is going to be sullied for many because Holland was dumb enough to bring him back when he was clearly washed up. He always had a way about him that made him a bit frustrating, but some of those huge playoff goals more than made up for it.

Probably lol, there was also logo hunter and shinpad assassin.

Of course Sammy isn't AS bad as Williams, who IMO was the worst forward ive seen play for the DRW since the lockout. That said, Sammy was a whole different breed of bad this season. His poor play even translated into GR, where he managed -4 in 2 games.

Are you currently dating Mark Mowers by any chance?

Where's the loyalty, Kenny?

Holland shows loyalty to players that show loyalty back to him. It sets a good precedent, especially to young players within your organization who at some point need to make a decision to either stay and sign a long term contract, or to jump ship for more money. Obviously it won’t work 100% of the time, but I think it is no coincidence that the Wings very rarely lose star players when they want to retain them.

As frustrating as the loyalty can be at times as a fan (ie. Cleary) I believe long term it helps the organization.

Obviously you are being sarcastic in your comment, but Samuelsson left after the 2008-2009 season. Holland shouldn’t show him the same loyalty he showed Cleary. Cleary has played here for years, never left, sacrificed his body, and even stayed after being offered a 3 year 9 million deal with the Flyers (I believe). Holland promised Cleary last year that he would sign him for the 2014/15 season, if Holland doesn’t make that signing, he pisses off a lot of players. Not a message I want sent to players like Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Mantha, Dekeyser etc.