• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jesusberg

2014-15 Grand Rapids Griffins

Rate this topic

I use hockeystreams.com. It only costs about $10 a month, which isn't bad at all if you watch a lot of hockey. I watch all the Griffins games there, as well as a few games here and there of our other top prospects that are playing junior. I watched a lot of Mantha in Val d'Or and Athanasiou in Barrie last year and a lot of Jurco in Saint John, Frk in Halifax and Sproul in Sault Ste Marie a couple years ago. This year I've only watch a couple Guelph games to see Bertuzzi and one Owen Sound game to see Nastasiuk. Still worth it though, just for the Griffins games alone.

Yeah, I think Athanasiou is going to be a beauty. I think Mrazek will be fine, he's just going through a little slump. He'll get his numbers back down over the next few months.

I use hockeystreams.com. It only costs about $10 a month, which isn't bad at all if you watch a lot of hockey. I watch all the Griffins games there, as well as a few games here and there of our other top prospects that are playing junior. I watched a lot of Mantha in Val d'Or and Athanasiou in Barrie last year and a lot of Jurco in Saint John, Frk in Halifax and Sproul in Sault Ste Marie a couple years ago. This year I've only watch a couple Guelph games to see Bertuzzi and one Owen Sound game to see Nastasiuk. Still worth it though, just for the Griffins games alone.

Yeah, I think Athanasiou is going to be a beauty. I think Mrazek will be fine, he's just going through a little slump. He'll get his numbers back down over the next few months.

ahh yeah.

That's definitely worth it to see every griffins game, thanks.

Completely agree. Jurco needs more time developing in the minors for sure, and I think Pulkkinen has shown that he deserves another shot. I do think he could also use the rest of this season developing but I'd like to see what he can do with a few games playing in a top 6 role with Datsyuk feeding him the puck.

I know it's probably not a popular opinion around here, but ideally for me, Weiss will come back and prove to be a solid top 6 contributor again, we can stay relatively healthy and all of Jurco, Pulkkinen and Mantha can spend the rest of this season down in Grand Rapids.

Jurco could definitely use some more time in grand rapids, and if they switch him out for pulks then Jurco and mantha can hopefully get some chemistry together, then next season they can come up together and mantha will be more comfortable.

Also that miele signing is seeming like a good one.

As well as nosek, he was playing great when he was in...

Anyone have any updates on his injury?

He cut himself opening a box at home, and he's been out for awhile so he must've hit a nerve or a tendon, but I couldn't find any update past the injury announcement.

What pisses me off is it says in the article on the griffins website says that blashill is still waiting to hear the extent of the injury, and then there's nothing else about it.

I heard Bob Kaser (the Griffins broadcaster) mention a few games ago that Nosek was extremely lucky that the injury was not much more severe. It could have potentially been career threatening, but he should be fine with some rehab, and is expected to be out for another 3-4 weeks. I agree, he was playing great hockey before the injury, so let's hope he gets back soon and picks up right where he left off.

I heard Bob Kaser (the Griffins broadcaster) mention a few games ago that Nosek was extremely lucky that the injury was not much more severe. It could have potentially been career threatening, but he should be fine with some rehab, and is expected to be out for another 3-4 weeks. I agree, he was playing great hockey before the injury, so let's hope he gets back soon and picks up right where he left off.

That's good to hear.

I wonder why there was such little news on it.

Unfortunately, I find there's very little coverage of the Griffins, outside of watching the games.

I have a few different go-to sites that I read daily when it comes to the Wings but I haven't really found any decent coverage on the Griffins. griffinscentral.com is probably the best I've come across but I don't read it a whole lot.

You'd think with the popularity of anything related to red wings there woukd be more reports about them.

Especially with the amount of coverage the training camp and the prospect tournament get, then once its over they forget all about the players down there.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Same with me. That's what was so great about redwingscentral.com, they covered all prospects from the Griffins to junior to Europe. They often times had quotes from management whether it be Ken Holland, Ryan Martin, Jiri Fischer or the coaching staff. They're definitely being missed... :(

I know everyone compares Pulks to Hull bc of his slap shot, but to me he's got a lil bit of an Yzerman vibe. As in he just plain gets things done. Not saying he has Stevie's talent or leadership, just that intangible work ethic and hockey sense. That flip pass to himself off the boards followed by a slap shot goal just reminds me of an early Yzerman for some reason.

Dang, Pulkkinnen was highly criticized just 2 years ago as a boom or complete bust type prospect. Scouts questioned his skating and his work ethic. I guess he is continuing to go out of his way to shut them up. Love this kid. He's got lunch pail work ethic and top notch talent written all over him.

Yeah, just a couple short years ago he really was somewhat of a poor skater. It amazes me how much he has improved in that regard. You're right, his work ethic is outstanding, and it has paid dividends for his game today. I'm really excited to see his right handed bomb of a shot on the power-play next season. I think he has the potential to have a somewhat Tatar / Nyquist transition to the NHL next season. He is leading the league in points and he is only heating up now.

I'm also very excited to see Callahan up with the Wings, hopefully by next season. He's having another unreal season with the Griffins and has a real nose for the net. He is probably the most versatile forward down in Grand Rapids. He scores in all sorts of ways, be it a wrist shot, slap shot, tip-in, dirty goal in front of the net, he plays power-play and is a great penalty killer. I think he will be a great addition to our forth line.

Yeah, just a couple short years ago he really was somewhat of a poor skater. It amazes me how much he has improved in that regard. You're right, his work ethic is outstanding, and it has paid dividends for his game today. I'm really excited to see his right handed bomb of a shot on the power-play next season. I think he has the potential to have a somewhat Tatar / Nyquist transition to the NHL next season. He is leading the league in points and he is only heating up now.

I'm also very excited to see Callahan up with the Wings, hopefully by next season. He's having another unreal season with the Griffins and has a real nose for the net. He is probably the most versatile forward down in Grand Rapids. He scores in all sorts of ways, be it a wrist shot, slap shot, tip-in, dirty goal in front of the net, he plays power-play and is a great penalty killer. I think he will be a great addition to our forth line.

Everyone's always begging the wings to get shooters. I think we got them years ago in Nyquist and Pulks.

Well to be fair, Nyquist was considered to be more of a playmaker than a goal scorer when we drafted him and right through his years in NCAA. I have no idea what happened to him when he reached the pro level, especially the NHL, but I love it. He loves to shoot the puck and he's able to get himself in those high quality scoring areas because of his speed, stick handling, tenacity and hockey IQ. I think he has only scratched the surface of his potential in this league. Pulkkinen, was absolutely always considered a trigger man, and for good reason. He has a rocket shot and an unbelievably quick release.

We have a ton of guys that love to shoot the puck, which is rare for us. It was always Zetterberg and Franzen, but I find they're starting to defer to other players a bit more than they have in the past as of late. We have Nyquist and Tatar that love the shoot, and we have Pulkkinen and Mantha on their way. It's pretty exciting to see what these kids are going to do in the next few seasons.

One of the things that worries me about the situation going into next season is Holland's stance on "asset management". I can't imagine Cleary being brought back, but I wonder what he'll do with Andersson. I would hope he goes the way of Emmerton, and Callahan and Pulkkinen are part of the roster at the start of next season.

My nightmare involves all three being retained and having the "best players" earn their spots in the line-up. I think it would be short-sighted in this situation.

One of the things that worries me about the situation going into next season is Holland's stance on "asset management". I can't imagine Cleary being brought back, but I wonder what he'll do with Andersson. I would hope he goes the way of Emmerton, and Callahan and Pulkkinen are part of the roster at the start of next season.

My nightmare involves all three being retained and having the "best players" earn their spots in the line-up. I think it would be short-sighted in this situation.

My thing is I've thought this exact thing the last 3 years, and Holland has always managed to manage it. This year I've finally accepted that he knows better and I'm not going to think about it. Hello head in sand, call me when we win the cup.