• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

But Franzen is on a terrible contract right?

In a few years, yes.  And especially since they changed the recapture rule in the last CBA and didn't grandfather it in.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#42 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Subban shoulda gotten 8, he's not better than Doughty/Weber although he benefits from having a Norris to his name

The comparisons to the Kane/Toews deal are sort of valid, but at the same time, let's keep in mind that Kane and Toews are two of the most popular, recognizable players in the NHL.Chicago has the biggest bandwagon fanbase in the NHL and if you lose Captain Serious and Kaner, you lose a whole bunch of revenue. 

Montreal likes Subban but they'll always have a fan base and it wouldn't be the end of the world if they lost him.

#43 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

@THNKenCampbell: Important not on PK Subban contact: No trade clause does not kick in until after the 2015-16 season.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#44 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Subban shoulda gotten 8, he's not better than Doughty/Weber although he benefits from having a Norris to his name

The comparisons to the Kane/Toews deal are sort of valid, but at the same time, let's keep in mind that Kane and Toews are two of the most popular, recognizable players in the NHL.Chicago has the biggest bandwagon fanbase in the NHL and if you lose Captain Serious and Kaner, you lose a whole bunch of revenue. 

Montreal likes Subban but they'll always have a fan base and it wouldn't be the end of the world if they lost him.

It'd absolutely be the end of the world for the Canadiens if they were to lose Subban. I mean, I get what you're saying about Chicago, and you have a point, but the Habs' fanbase was having a nuclear meltdown during arbitration because they thought they might be losing Subban. All their hopes and dreams rest on him and Price, really. (Even Bob McKenzie and Elliotte Friedman were fanning the flames of fear.) And, again, he's just a very likable person, a great ambassador for the team and for the NHL and hockey in general and even Canada, and one of the best hockey players in the world. He's certainly right up there with Toews and Kane in terms of his importance to his team (and to the NHL in terms of marketing). Chicago doesn't have the crazy hockey culture the Habs have, true, but a generational franchise player is a generational franchise player. The Habs lost one of those in Roy. For that to happen all over again with Subban? Riots in the streets of Montreal.

As for the contract itself and the comparisons to Doughty and Weber, each of those deals was reached a few years ago, so you can't really compare them. This deal may be a wee bit high right now, but it's an eight year deal. The cap will be rising, which means inflation, which means the deeper we get into the contract, the better the value. And, of course, the only reason the term is eight years is the new CBA. Were this pre-new CBA, the term would be longer and the yearly hit would be spread out more, so it wouldn't be $9M every year.

Edited by Dabura, 03 August 2014 - 04:38 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#45 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

This makes Webers contract look like a steal, and it's not.

#46 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

A link I posted earlier in the thread makes the important point that Doughty signed his contract right after his entry level contract expired.  So he was making a couple million more than Subban since then.  The Habs went the bridge year route and Subban was essentially underpaid until now.  

As for Weber, his contract only looks cheaper than Subban's because it's a cap circumventing 14 year deal that is no longer allowed under the current CBA.   He gets paid $1 million for the last three years of his contract in 2024, 25, and 26.

This makes Webers contract look like a steal, and it's not.

It's not, for the reasons I listed above.  It's a cap cheater.  Then factor in that Weber gets almost all his salary paid in one huge chunk, and it's less than ideal from a business perspective.

#47 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Sure for me it means: acting like you are above the team, over the top celebrations, butting heads with your coach and/or teammates. I really can't stand such attitudes stopped following soccer after it became more like the NBA too, I think this trend with more and more young cocky guys such as Kadri, Yakupov, Eller and him is alarming :( Their franchise is and has been Price Trust me I understand the whole microscope point that's why I've said pay him a bit more and be done with it. I really thought the arbitrator would have awarded less.. If I'm paying 9 per for a defenseman my first priority would be can I trust his defensive skills when the game is on the line? And just like Karlsson I wouldn't they are offensive defenseman and good ones at that but not reliable in their own end.

How has he acted like he is above the team?  What over the top celebrations?  I've seen him be incredibly excited for a goal but I've never seen him do a dance over a flaming stick or anything.  It sounds like their relationship is actually fine now but Therrien is as much to blame with his handling of Subban and any friction there. 

If they thought the arbitrator would have awarded less, they would've done that.  They just locked Subban up for his prime years and he's likely only going to get better. 

Like I said, I'm not even particularly a huge fan of the guy.  I just don't really understand why he gets as much criticism as he does for what are usually very minor things.  I don't lump him in with the guys who are sliding down on one knee and pointing their stick at the goalie like a rifle.  Or flopping all over the ice to draw penalties.  Guys like Ryan Clowe can interfere with the play from the bench and it's somehow no big deal.  Shawn Thornton squirts water in Subban's face during play and it's somehow just gamesmanship.  

Can you imagine the reaction if Subban had done that to someone? 

#48 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

I just don't really understand why he gets as much criticism as he does for what are usually very minor things.

I do. People just don't like to admit it.

I am in no way saying that the people who dislike him here at LGW do so for race-related reasons, but the reality is that prejudice is, unfortunately, alive and well within the hockey community. Does he have a bit of moxie? Sure. But if he were a white Canadian *some* people wouldn't look twice at his actions or have a problem with his "attitude." I don't think there is anything over the top about P.K.'s actions, and he is a young kid who will continue to mature.

Mods, feel free to delete if you think this will stir s*** or incite politics discussions, but I felt it needed to be said.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#49 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

I do. People just don't like to admit it.

I am in no way saying that the people who dislike him here at LGW do so for race-related reasons, but the reality is that prejudice is, unfortunately, alive and well within the hockey community. Does he have a bit of moxie? Sure. But if he were a white Canadian *some* people wouldn't look twice at his actions or have a problem with his "attitude." I don't think there is anything over the top about P.K.'s actions, and he is a young kid who will continue to mature.

Mods, feel free to delete if you think this will stir s*** or incite politics discussions, but I felt it needed to be said.

I agree. I think his play and conduct off the ice during the last playoffs didn't seem to match up with the media criticism at all. So then you have to wonder, is it something along the lines of what you're saying? It is a valid point. 

#50 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

I agree. I think his play and conduct off the ice during the last playoffs didn't seem to match up with the media criticism at all. So then you have to wonder, is it something along the lines of what you're saying? It is a valid point. 

I agree, it's valid. They act like he's Sean Avery or something.

#51 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

Three pages for a race bomb to be dropped...not bad.

Its clear that his attitude isn't perfect but it's definitely blown out of proportion because he's in Montreal. 

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#52 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

When Subban is good, he's great. One of the best defensemen in the league, offensively. When he is bad, he is awful and costs his team. Like in the Rangers series he was just terrible. Trying to go end to end, double shifting and taking bad penalties. I think his attitude is fine for such a young player though. I think if he was a Red Wing I would get very frustrated with him

#53 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

When Subban is good, he's great. One of the best defensemen in the league, offensively. When he is bad, he is awful and costs his team. Like in the Rangers series he was just terrible. Trying to go end to end, double shifting and taking bad penalties. I think his attitude is fine for such a young player though. I think if he was a Red Wing I would get very frustrated with him

Just think...If Subban were a Red Wing (hell - he was a 2nd round pick), and Lids had a chance to mentor him.....Wow.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#54 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

How has he acted like he is above the team?  What over the top celebrations?  I've seen him be incredibly excited for a goal but I've never seen him do a dance over a flaming stick or anything.  It sounds like their relationship is actually fine now but Therrien is as much to blame with his handling of Subban and any friction there. 

Therrien is certainly not an uncontroversial coach either, if you care to learn more about it I recommend "Tales of a first round nothing" by Terry Ryan. A very interesting read.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#55 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Here's Subban with his NBA attitude, putting himself above his teammates, putting himself above the league, and generally making it all about himself. 

(I was being sarcastic)

In interviews and what I saw on CH24 he comes across as one of the more well spoken and humble players in the league.  

#56 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Here's Subban with his NBA attitude, putting himself above his teammates, putting himself above the league, and generally making it all about himself. 

(I was being sarcastic)

In interviews and what I saw on CH24 he comes across as one of the more well spoken and humble players in the league.  

Ya I completely agree. I know in the playoffs they talk a lot about him and sometimes he shows his high emotions. But at least he cares nothing irritates me more then when people have show no emotion. It's ok to be happy and pissed at times that apart of hockey.

#57 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Ya I completely agree. I know in the playoffs they talk a lot about him and sometimes he shows his high emotions. But at least he cares nothing irritates me more then when people have show no emotion. It's ok to be happy and pissed at times that apart of hockey.

Agreed.  Doughty is very much the same way.  

I wouldn't want the NHL to start looking like the NFL where every minor play is celebrated like they just won the Super Bowl, but these are young guys playing a sport they love.  It's okay to have fun and show some emotion. 

I also like that he admits that he likes to throw hard hits so he regretted going after OV for a clean hard hit.  

Lucic's nut spearing and butthurt antics in the handshake line are much worse than anything I've ever seen Subban do. 

#58 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Subban is an NHL player who actually has a personality. I think his personality adds to his value -- he just reeks of a Stanley cup playoff performer. 

#59 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

Subban is aggressive and emotional on the ice. Some people think that translates to the locker room, and those are people called... RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAscals

#60 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

Sorting Out the P.K. Subban Signing [Sean McIndoe, Grantland]

Don't Toews me, bro!