• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

@theScore: Kovalev is unsure why P.K. Subban is worth $72M: 'He plays like he did on streets as a child.' http://t.co/GoV5aINrNn http://t.co/AFKZPl1Rq8

SHOTS FIRED

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#62 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

@theScore: Kovalev is unsure why P.K. Subban is worth $72M: 'He plays like he did on streets as a child.' http://t.co/GoV5aINrNn http://t.co/AFKZPl1Rq8

SHOTS FIRED

I have to say, I agree with Alexei. 

temp 1

#63 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,304 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

SHOTS FIRED

It's pretty hilarious that Kovalev of all people would call out a player.  Especially the part about scoring 5 goals but allowing 5 goals.  Maybe check your career +/- there Alex.  The guy embodied the lazy Russian stereotype when he played.  

I guess he's not been getting enough attention lately? 

#64 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

It must suck when the part of your criticism that’s correct (he’s being paid too much) get’s overshadowed by the fact that you sound like a total weiner on tsn. 

You’re right Harold. Last time I checked, Kovelev was living in a glass house somewhere in Tolyatti or wherever. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#65 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

Part of Kovalev's comments reek of jealousy of not having made that much $ in his career. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#66 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Part of Kovalev's comments reek of jealousy of not having made that much $ in his career. 

Sure. But also reeks of the truth. I don't think subban is worth that kind of money, not unless he learns to play his position better

#67 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:25 AM

I dunno how he got the contract. Weber played on a worse team and scored more points in less games while, IMO, playing equal to if not better D. Shea makes 7.8 for a long time. Now a short time later PK makes 9 for a long time??? Anyone wanna make bets on when the next lockout will be? I thought Shea would be the bench mark for guys like PK

Suter at 7.5

Karlsson at 6.5

Chara at 6.9

Letang at 7.2

Pietrangelo at 6.5

This guy is no where near the bench mark. I don't like Kovalev, but he ain't wrong. I guess it makes up for the cheap deal he took last year.... MTL f***ed up

#68 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:19 AM

I dunno how he got the contract. Weber played on a worse team and scored more points in less games while, IMO, playing equal to if not better D. Shea makes 7.8 for a long time. Now a short time later PK makes 9 for a long time??? Anyone wanna make bets on when the next lockout will be? I thought Shea would be the bench mark for guys like PK

Suter at 7.5

Karlsson at 6.5

Chara at 6.9

Letang at 7.2

Pietrangelo at 6.5

This guy is no where near the bench mark. I don't like Kovalev, but he ain't wrong. I guess it makes up for the cheap deal he took last year.... MTL f***ed up

Not only did they f*** it up, but they also will be responsible for driving up D man's salaries into the potential stratosphere next season. Saying that though, somebody was going to do it at some point. 

The only reason Weber's contract has a lower cap hit than PK is due to the length of it, which meant that the Predators drove down the AAV. And by quite a bit. The maximum PK makes in real dollars in one season is $11m, whereas the first 4 years of Webers contract had him making $14m. 

PK's is still a ludicrous overpayment though. There's no escaping that fact. 

temp 1

#69 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,304 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

Suter at 7.5

Karlsson at 6.5

Chara at 6.9

Letang at 7.2

Pietrangelo at 6.5

Different CBA's. 

Weber has a cap cheating 14 year contract.  Subban's contract has the 8 year limit.  

Plus the Canadiens kind of screwed themselves with the bridge deal for Subban.  If they had signed him long term last time, his numbers would be more in line with the people your'e comparing him too.  But because of those circumstances it's not really apples to apples. 

Somewhere (maybe earlier in this thread? I can't quite remember) I linked to a blog that did a nice breakdown of what Subban would get paid and why.  And they were pretty close on the final number.  

Some of this definitely has to do with the bridge deal.  For the last two years he was underpaid compared to his peers who signed long term contracts when their entry level contracts expired. 

A good take on it, written before the signing:

http://www.thescore....nhl/news/546875

Here it is. 

#70 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

Different CBA's. 

Weber has a cap cheating 14 year contract.  Subban's contract has the 8 year limit.  

Plus the Canadiens kind of screwed themselves with the bridge deal for Subban.  If they had signed him long term last time, his numbers would be more in line with the people your'e comparing him too.  But because of those circumstances it's not really apples to apples. 

Somewhere (maybe earlier in this thread? I can't quite remember) I linked to a blog that did a nice breakdown of what Subban would get paid and why.  And they were pretty close on the final number.  

Here it is. 

Gotcha. Though the cap hit still seems ludicrous regardless. Don't you agree?

#71 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,304 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:09 AM

Gotcha. Though the cap hit still seems ludicrous regardless. Don't you agree?

Yes and no.  Yes it does right now but I feel like I've said that so many times with contracts before and then in a few seasons it's not really at all.  

Montreal did a particularly poor job in handling the last two Subban contracts.  His cap hit definitely could've been lower if they'd just signed him long term last time.  Instead they gambled on the bridge deal, during which time he won a Norris.