• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

Who is YOUR most under-appreciated/unsung Red Wing?

Rate this topic

Rafalski. He did it all...and did it all at a world class level. Unfortunately, as so happens when you play with one of the best ever at a particular position, he was often overshadowed by Nick. I also think Nick learned a lot from him on the blue line in terms of offense. I have seen very few "skate the line" with the puck like Rafalski did. At the beginning of his term with us, he was much better at this than Nick. His lateral movement with the puck at the blue line to find a shooting lane was second to none. As a result, Nick soon became much improved at this, and eventually you'd have to say that they were equally as good. But Rafalski was underrated in my opinion.

Rafalski. He did it all...and did it all at a world class level. Unfortunately, as so happens when you play with one of the best ever at a particular position, he was often overshadowed by Nick. I also think Nick learned a lot from him on the blue line in terms of offense. I have seen very few "skate the line" with the puck like Rafalski did. At the beginning of his term with us, he was much better at this than Nick. His lateral movement with the puck at the blue line to find a shooting lane was second to none. As a result, Nick soon became much improved at this, and eventually you'd have to say that they were equally as good. But Rafalski was underrated in my opinion.

I thought about Rafalksi. A great example of a whipping boy that suddenly got missed when he left. The powerplay really missed Rafalski.

Konstantonov got screwed out of at least one and probably more Norrises because he was Russian. If he'd been from Medicine Hat or Saskatoon the media would have loved him. Until this last contract Bertuzzi was pretty underrated. He got around 40 points, played the best 2way hockey of his career, and could stop some of the nonsense.

Just curious, what years would you have given him the Norris for? You say at least one, and probably more.

He never scored 40 points in any season, and this was in an era were goals were more prevalent than later years. I realize there's more to defending than scoring points, but you're not going to win a Norris trophy if you can't hit 40 points. That's why he didn't win one. Not because he's not from Canada or the US.

Edited by GMRwings1983

In my mind Konstantinov would have been legendary had that tragedy not occurred.

And we'd be looking at the Leafs in the rear view for Cup wins. He was THAT good. Stevens and Niedermayer while great could not hold the jocks of Lids and Vladdy and that's saying something. We all love a good Kronwalling, but those are bumps compared to what Vladdy dished out. Man he could hit. And for some reason, he scored breakaway goals. Pure awesomeness.

He would also be my pick.

How has no one yet mentioned Andreas "Iron Jaw" Lilja. We're still trying to replace him ... oh, wait, we already replaced him with Kyle Quincey. Never mind.

On a serious note, and avoiding the obvious choices, I'd go with Martin Lapointe. One of the last punishing body-checking forwards Detroit had in the line-up before signing Drake in '08. Since then...

How has no one yet mentioned Andreas "Iron Jaw" Lilja. We're still trying to replace him ... oh, wait, we already replaced him with Kyle Quincey. Never mind.

On a serious note, and avoiding the obvious choices, I'd go with Martin Lapointe. One of the last punishing body-checking forwards Detroit had in the line-up before signing Drake in '08. Since then...

Same Andreas Lilja who TKO'd this guy back on November 20, 2008?

0012.jpg

Or the same Andreas Lilja who made this guy s*** his pants back on November 27, 2008? (greatest picture ever)

08663332db6c9a877d7ce8e829735a039d414492

Or the same Andreas Lilja who made Patrick Sharp.................OK you get the point.

I don't understand why is Homer considered under-appreciated/unsung by many. Iam sure everyone knows and agrees that he was one of the most valuable Red Wings. Every game that he played he was mentioned and talked about by commentators and hockey analysts as being the best at what he does. They are still talking about him. I thing he is very appreciated and sung. There is no shortage of players falling in to this category, but certainly not Holmstrom.

Edited by arag

Same Andreas Lilja who TKO'd this guy back on November 20, 2008?

0012.jpg

Or the same Andreas Lilja who made this guy s*** his pants back on November 27, 2008? (greatest picture ever)

08663332db6c9a877d7ce8e829735a039d414492

Or the same Andreas Lilja who made Patrick Sharp.................OK you get the point.

TKO? I don't know about that. Lucky punch that grazed the helmet is more like it, but I'll give it to Lilja. And props to him for defending his teammate, but that fight against Phaneuf was a whole lot of nothing. No, I'm talking about the Lilja who got his ass handed to him in about 80% of his fights. Don't get me wrong, I respect Lilja for being willing to drop the gloves, especially in the post-Bowman Wings era, but simply put, he was not a good fighter. But this is not even worth arguing about.

TKO? I don't know about that. Lucky punch that grazed the helmet is more like it, but I'll give it to Lilja. And props to him for defending his teammate, but that fight against Phaneuf was a whole lot of nothing. No, I'm talking about the Lilja who got his ass handed to him in about 80% of his fights. Don't get me wrong, I respect Lilja for being willing to drop the gloves, especially in the post-Bowman Wings era, but simply put, he was not a good fighter. But this is not even worth arguing about.

I'd like to see these 80% of fights he lost while he was a Wing.

Darren McCarty. Everyone has a favorite McCarty moment (likely involving Claude Lemieux) and I'd love it if the Wings could sign another player like him. Dude just worked every shift.

I'd like to see these 80% of fights he lost while he was a Wing.

I guess that your memories of his days with Detroit are a little different than mine. Hell, I don't even remember him actually fighting all that often; certainly no more than 2 or 3 times a season. He lost to Moen and got Destroyed by Weber. He won against Souray and Sharp (does this one even count?). Draw against Phaneuf and Boll, at least in my book. I'm having trouble remembering any other of his fights with Detroit. I remember Corson and Jovo kicking his ass when he was with Florida. So that's at least 2-4-2 by my count. You can do the percentage. Math is not my strength.

I guess that your memories of his days with Detroit are a little different than mine. Hell, I don't even remember him actually fighting all that often; certainly no more than 2 or 3 times a season. He lost to Moen and got Destroyed by Weber. He won against Souray and Sharp (does this one even count?). Draw against Phaneuf and Boll, at least in my book. I'm having trouble remembering any other of his fights with Detroit. I remember Corson and Jovo kicking his ass when he was with Florida. So that's at least 2-4-2 by my count. You can do the percentage. Math is not my strength.

He heat Boll like a rented mule. He also fought Begin and Slater. The fear on Phaneuf's face was enough to register that a win for Lilja. Phaneuf hanged on for dear life.

His days in Florida are irrelevant. That was before he came the "PAIN TRAIN"

Edited by GMRwings1983

He heat Boll like a rented mule. He also fought Begin and Slater. The fear on Phaneuf's face was enough to register that a win for Lilja. Phaneuf hanged on for dear life.

I enjoyed Lilja's physicality on the blueline, but he wasn't a good fighter. The fight against Boll was a draw, in my opinion. Lilja got one in early, but it was a short fight. The fights against Begin and Neil were so short that I don't remember punches being thrown. He beat Patrick Sharp, but he's Patrick Sharp. He got dropped by Shea Weber. The Phaneuf fight was pretty short and uneventful, too.

I enjoyed Lilja's physicality on the blueline, but he wasn't a good fighter. The fight against Boll was a draw, in my opinion. Lilja got one in early, but it was a short fight. The fights against Begin and Neil were so short that I don't remember punches being thrown. He beat Patrick Sharp, but he's Patrick Sharp. He got dropped by Shea Weber. The Phaneuf fight was pretty short and uneventful, too.

And his knocking Souray on his ass?

As I could not recall Lilja beating Boll "like a rented Mule", I had to go watch it again on Youtube. Lilja handled himself well against a better fighter, and if I were forced to pick a winner, I might give it to Lilja solely on the basis that he fell on top. But I stand by my original verdict: draw.

"PAIN TRAIN"? Yeah, I felt like I was on one when watching him in the '07 WCF vs Anaheim.

Edited by Hairy Lime