Photo
- - - - -

Who is YOUR most under-appreciated/unsung Red Wing?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,947 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

Larionov. I don't know that he was "under appreciated" per se, but I feel like he had such a fantastic mind and hockey sense while not being the most physically skilled, or strongest, or fastest, etc. He could read a play and position himself a step ahead every time.

He's always going to be unappreciated by North American audiences, because they didn't see him play in the NHL in his prime.  Same thing as Fetisov.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:09 AM

The master of deflections guy gave his body for this team and was a huge part of our former dangerous pp

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#23 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:26 AM

The master of deflections guy gave his body for this team and was a huge part of our former dangerous pp

Not only that but he also showed something that can't be graded by any scouts. That's true heart and determination. He wasn't a good player in terms of typical hockey skills like skating but his will to be great overcame that.

#24 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,111 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

Nicklas Lidstrom.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#25 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Nicklas Lidstrom.

Don't be ridiculous dabura, he is a god around here

#26 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Konstantonov got screwed out of at least one and probably more Norrises because he was Russian. If he'd been from Medicine Hat or Saskatoon the media would have loved him. Until this last contract Bertuzzi was pretty underrated. He got around 40 points, played the best 2way hockey of his career, and could stop some of the nonsense.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#27 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

Almost any starting goaltender.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#28 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Rafalski.  He did it all...and did it all at a world class level.  Unfortunately, as so happens when you play with one  of the best ever at a particular position, he was often overshadowed by Nick.  I also think Nick learned a lot from him on the blue line in terms of offense.  I have seen very few "skate the line" with the puck like Rafalski did.  At the beginning of his term with us, he was much better at this than Nick.  His lateral movement with the puck at the blue line to find a shooting lane was second to none.  As a result, Nick soon became much improved at this, and eventually you'd have to say that they were equally as good.  But Rafalski was underrated in my opinion.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#29 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Larry Murphy

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#30 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Larry Murphy

Whenever I see the words "Larry Murphy," I say it in my head (and sometimes out loud with my mouth) like "Charlie Murphy" as Rick James from the Chapelle Show.

Just thought everyone should know.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#31 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

Holmstrom is the obvious choice. Another one is Rafalski. He also added a dimension to the formerly-great PP. 

Also, my pick, Kirk Maltby. 

He was a GREAT PK-er, grinder, and the best pest the Wings ever had. 

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,947 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Rafalski.  He did it all...and did it all at a world class level.  Unfortunately, as so happens when you play with one  of the best ever at a particular position, he was often overshadowed by Nick.  I also think Nick learned a lot from him on the blue line in terms of offense.  I have seen very few "skate the line" with the puck like Rafalski did.  At the beginning of his term with us, he was much better at this than Nick.  His lateral movement with the puck at the blue line to find a shooting lane was second to none.  As a result, Nick soon became much improved at this, and eventually you'd have to say that they were equally as good.  But Rafalski was underrated in my opinion.

I thought about Rafalksi.  A great example of a whipping boy that suddenly got missed when he left.  The powerplay really missed Rafalski.  

Konstantonov got screwed out of at least one and probably more Norrises because he was Russian. If he'd been from Medicine Hat or Saskatoon the media would have loved him. Until this last contract Bertuzzi was pretty underrated. He got around 40 points, played the best 2way hockey of his career, and could stop some of the nonsense.

Just curious, what years would you have given him the Norris for?  You say at least one, and probably more.

He never scored 40 points in any season, and this was in an era were goals were more prevalent than later years.  I realize there's more to defending than scoring points, but you're not going to win a Norris trophy if you can't hit 40 points.  That's why he didn't win one.  Not because he's not from Canada or the US. 

Edited by GMRwings1983, 04 August 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#33 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

In my mind Konstantinov would have been legendary had that tragedy not occurred.

And we'd be looking at the Leafs in the rear view for Cup wins.  He was THAT good.  Stevens and Niedermayer while great could not hold the jocks of Lids and Vladdy and that's saying something.  We all love a good Kronwalling, but those are bumps compared to what Vladdy dished out.  Man he could hit.  And for some reason, he scored breakaway goals.  Pure awesomeness. 

He would also be my pick.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#34 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

How has no one yet mentioned Andreas "Iron Jaw" Lilja. We're still trying to replace him ... oh, wait, we already replaced him with Kyle Quincey. Never mind. 

On a serious note, and avoiding the obvious choices, I'd go with Martin Lapointe. One of the last punishing body-checking forwards Detroit had in the line-up before signing Drake in '08. Since then...

#35 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,947 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

How has no one yet mentioned Andreas "Iron Jaw" Lilja. We're still trying to replace him ... oh, wait, we already replaced him with Kyle Quincey. Never mind. 

On a serious note, and avoiding the obvious choices, I'd go with Martin Lapointe. One of the last punishing body-checking forwards Detroit had in the line-up before signing Drake in '08. Since then...

Same Andreas Lilja who TKO'd this guy back on November 20, 2008?

0012.jpg

Or the same Andreas Lilja who made this guy s*** his pants back on November 27, 2008?  (greatest picture ever)

08663332db6c9a877d7ce8e829735a039d414492

Or the same Andreas Lilja who made Patrick Sharp.................OK you get the point.

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Sergei Fedorov. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#37 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,637 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

Homer was also very smart.  He was not a great hockey player but was smart enough to know how to leave his mark on the game.  Too bad more players haven't learned from him.

#38 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 802 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

I don't understand why is Homer considered under-appreciated/unsung by many. Iam sure everyone knows and agrees that he was one of the most valuable Red Wings. Every game that he played he was mentioned and talked about by commentators and hockey analysts as being the best at what he does. They are still talking about him. I thing he is very appreciated and sung. There is no shortage of players falling in to this category, but certainly not Holmstrom.

Edited by arag, 04 August 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#39 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

I change my vote to Lilja

https://www.youtube....h?v=Fw9oF9VX4f8

He grew up drinking his water off the walls of mountains

Edited by number9, 04 August 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#40 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Same Andreas Lilja who TKO'd this guy back on November 20, 2008?

0012.jpg

Or the same Andreas Lilja who made this guy s*** his pants back on November 27, 2008?  (greatest picture ever)

08663332db6c9a877d7ce8e829735a039d414492

Or the same Andreas Lilja who made Patrick Sharp.................OK you get the point.

TKO? I don't know about that. Lucky punch that grazed the helmet is more like it, but I'll give it to Lilja. And props to him for defending his teammate, but that fight against Phaneuf was a whole lot of nothing. No, I'm talking about the Lilja who got his ass handed to him in about 80% of his fights. Don't get me wrong, I respect Lilja for being willing to drop the gloves, especially in the post-Bowman Wings era, but simply put, he was not a good fighter. But this is not even worth arguing about.