• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
STATiK

Flyers agree to terms with Del Zotto

Rate this topic

3 and a half quinceys and a cleary.

He could go either way with the flyers, he skates really well and they need to potentially replace Timonen.

Low risk signing id say, he still has that potential and he has stated that he wants to show the NHL that he can still play. I kind of see this becoming similar to the Raymond signing in Toronto last year.

I still have to wonder if he was offered a contract to play here... he brings some of what our defence desperately needs. ( Not exactly saying he'd be a good fit; but there is that chance )

Edited by WingsallTheway

Del Zotto will be fine. The Rangers just brought him up too early and f***ed his development up for a while. He's a better version of Smith, shows promise offensively and is still pretty bad defensively. He'll come around.

Del Zotto will be fine. The Rangers just brought him up too early and f***ed his development up for a while. He's a better version of Smith, shows promise offensively and is still pretty bad defensively. He'll come around.

Except I feel that if Smith had DZ’s free agency status this summer, he would have signed a deal in the first day or two. There’s a reason that it took this long for him to find a contract. I just don’t know what it is……..

Except I feel that if Smith had DZ’s free agency status this summer, he would have signed a deal in the first day or two. There’s a reason that it took this long for him to find a contract. I just don’t know what it is……..

You're welcome to feel that way if you want. But based on every single metric of success taken thus far in their respective careers, Del Zotto is a better player. Hell, this year was Del Zotto's big "down year" and he had exactly three fewer points than Smith.

To date, Del Zotto had been WAY better than Smith offensively, and probably marginally better defensively (or at least he was in 2012 and 2013).

But my point was simply to say that he's a guy who's a work in progress yet still has big upside.

I agree with the Smith comparisons.

Del Zotto is better right now, but Smith has all the tools to become much better than him. Smith just needs to work on his mental game .

Its true Smith would get snatched up quickly in free agency due to this potential. Most people feel Del Zotto reached his peak when he flew under the radar for his 40 point season.

Edited by WingsallTheway

You're welcome to feel that way if you want. But based on every single metric of success taken thus far in their respective careers, Del Zotto is a better player. Hell, this year was Del Zotto's big "down year" and he had exactly three fewer points than Smith.

To date, Del Zotto had been WAY better than Smith offensively, and probably marginally better defensively (or at least he was in 2012 and 2013).

But my point was simply to say that he's a guy who's a work in progress yet still has big upside.

With Del Zotto I see a guy who had 2 good seasons very early, followed by 2 bad seasons and is now 24 (Total of 4 full seasons)

With Smith I see a guy who had 1 bad/ok (it's his first, it's hard to tell) season. and is now 25

DZ has proved more, but is also trending downward very badly.

Smith has been sheltered, but it remains to be seen if he's a producer or not. I'd rather take a chance on Smith IMO, but I understand the other side of the coin too.

Del Zotto at 1,3 versus a certain wing at 4,25 per I don't even need to think about that one. MDZ has had a down year yes but the guy does have some talent, he just needs to get his mind straight << DEFENSE first, offense second I really can't understand why some defensemen at this level are struggling with their own priorities.

I agree with the Smith comparisons.

Del Zotto is better right now, but Smith has all the tools to become much better than him. Smith just needs to work on his mental game .

Its true Smith would get snatched up quickly in free agency due to this potential. Most people feel Del Zotto reached his peak when he flew under the radar for his 40 point season.

Which people feel that way?

Which people feel that way?

Perhaps the 29 teams that didn't sign him + the one that desperately needed a player of his type and still waited until over a month into free agency to sign him to a deal (1.3M) that probably acurately reflected his value as a UFA?

Who knows exactly what took place with DZ's camp with regards to negotiations with other teams on terms and salary, but the proof of what type of player Del Zotto is, currently, can be found in the contract details and date of signing IMO.

But, like I said, IMO.

Edited by rick zombo

Perhaps the 29 teams that didn't sign him + the one that desperately needed a player of his type and still waited until over a month into free agency to sign him to a deal (1.3M) that probably acurately reflected his value as a UFA?

Who knows exactly what took place with DZ's camp with regards to negotiations with other teams on terms and salary, but the proof of what type of player Del Zotto is, currently, can be found in the contract details and date of signing IMO.

But, like I said, IMO.

Maybe...but you're speculating. For all you know he didn't sign anywhere because he was working through an injury and wouldn't have been able to pass a physical. You're seeing what you want to see.

I'm just saying that a guy who is young, has decent size, excellent skating, and who has shown himself capable of putting up big points and playing big minutes typically doesn't just lose value overnight. It's not like the guy forgot how to play hockey.

Edit: Two sports hernia surgeries between 2011 and June, 2013 were probably a pretty big factor in his decreased production. Same has been true of Weiss and (in other sports) Verlander and Cabrera. I'd imagine this is a bigger factor in the reluctance to sign him than some notion that he's "jumped the shark".

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-06-13/michael-del-zotto-injury-update-rangers-coach-john-tortorella

Edited by kipwinger

Maybe...but you're speculating. For all you know he didn't sign anywhere because he was working through an injury and wouldn't have been able to pass a physical. You're seeing what you want to see.

I'm just saying that a guy who is young, has decent size, excellent skating, and who has shown himself capable of putting up big points and playing big minutes typically doesn't just lose value overnight. It's not like the guy forgot how to play hockey.

But he did lose value.

Otherwise, in this market, a UFA that has had a 40 point season goes for 3-4M/year. At the very least, he gets Tom Gilbert money. No?

So, do you think Nashville let him walk because they're stacked on D? Or maybe there's something more to it.

Just talking here.......

Edited by rick zombo

But he did lose value.

Otherwise, in this market, a UFA that has had a 40 point season goes for 3-4M/year. At the very least, he gets Tom Gilbert money. No?

So, do you think Nashville let him walk because they're stacked on D? Or maybe there's something more to it.

Just talking here.......

Check out my edit above. He's been pretty seriously injured since 2011.

Also, I wouldn't say he "lost value". He's probably still a pretty valuable player to any team. It's just that with injury history he comes with a pretty significant risk as well. Hence the decrease in his contract.

Edited by kipwinger

Check out my edit above. He's been pretty seriously injured since 2011.

Also, I wouldn't say he "lost value". He's probably still a pretty valuable player to any team. It's just that with injury history he comes with a pretty significant risk as well. Hence the decrease in his contract.

Gotcha. Injury history is a legit reason why teams are shy on him.

I understand that this guy is not the splash UFA that Holland was trying to get but this is yet another defender that is better than #kfq AND Kindl. I don't really want to hear "then why did it take so long for him to get a contract?" I am almost certain (not fact, but IMO) that #kfq today would still be unsigned. I tend to believe that Holland is hoping that he turns his game back in to his Kings/Avs game and that Cleary somehow returns to his 2008 days and then Holland can stand up in front of everyone and say "See, I am still a genius..."

MDZ may not have been our need for a top defender, but he addressed certain needs, as did a few other guys, along with a couple guys still unsigned. But we are now down to enough money for Danny D and then scraps for Alfie if he wants to play.

Edited by LeftWinger

Colaiacovo, I mean MDZ, def would have helped our D, DEF

Well to be fair, it's not like the Detroit Red Wings are an injury free bunch. He'd probably fit right in, sitting there with the other half of the roster watching the Griffins steal their spots in the lineup lol.

Well to be fair, it's not like the Detroit Red Wings are an injury free bunch. He'd probably fit right in, sitting there with the other half of the roster watching the Griffins steal their spots in the lineup lol.

No worries, they always get their roster spots back from the kids in the offseason :lol:

So everyone ******* and moans about how our team has too many injury prone players and too many dud players like Quincey, Cleary etc, but we want a guy with serious injury problems who the Rangers fans came to recognize as a dud for his terrible defense, and who after being traded for by Nashville was shown the door?

bd3a5d38cbbb5ef5c39c15c63810fb8970bedddf