• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#21 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Really like it, our farm system has never looked better. The last few years haven't been ideal, but our playoff streak is still intact and Ken Holland is the reason. There isn't a franchise in the league that never has a few average seasons between great ones. His legacy is going on the line here though, if this team struggles and wastes the last few years of Dats/Zetterberg there aren't going to be fans lining up to reminding us of the 3 Stanley Cups we won with him and having the best team in the league from 1997-2010 which is unfortunate. Time will tell if Ken Holland has a master plan with this franchise, or if he's just meddling his last years in mediocrity hoping his past success will be his legacy.

My thoughts are you never know what you have until it's gone, and for me I think that rings true for Holland. Fans in Detroit have incredible expectations, which is understood, but I don't know of many hockey GM's in the history of the league that could satisfy this fan bases appetite of not only winning, but winning Stanley Cups for over 20 years. Notice I said the history of the league, I don't think there is a better option for the team right now other than Holland, he knows the players we have in the system, if our goal is to win it all soon he gives us our best option. If we want to tank, and surely waste the last years of Datsyuk/Zetterberg, and hopefully build up to a playoff franchise in 5 years then we should get a young GM and give him the reigns, I just don't think that's that right plan.

#22 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

You're right....being a GM is as easy as NHL 14 makes it out to be, what was I thinking?

It's real easy if you choose to do absolutely nothing.

Being an active GM on the other hand is incredibly hard.

#23 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Just when I thought the off season couldn't get any worse... At least Tatar is locked up

#24 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

Just when I thought the off season couldn't get any worse... At least Tatar is locked up

Hold your breath it still isn't over and Danny still hasn't re-signed with the team so it can still go downhill :-(
this off season is not over yet and I'm extremely worried.but one thing it's for sure this has been the most challenging one since almost two decades.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#25 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

It's real easy if you choose to do absolutely nothing.

Being an active GM on the other hand is incredibly hard.

Its not like the guy scheduled a two week vacation to the moon and skipped free agency the last few years.  There's plenty of info that suggests he kicked a ton of tires, made several intriguing offers, and in most cases those players chose not to come here for various reasons.  He's not soley to blame for our recent downturn.  You don't lose people like Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Osgood and replace them all right away...in some cases you may never be able to replace talent like that.

#26 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Its not like the guy scheduled a two week vacation to the moon and skipped free agency the last few years.  There's plenty of info that suggests he kicked a ton of tires, made several intriguing offers, and in most cases those players chose not to come here for various reasons.  He's not soley to blame for our recent downturn.  You don't lose people like Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Osgood and replace them all right away...in some cases you may never be able to replace talent like that.

But do you lose players like Lidström, Rafalski and Stuart over several years and still do absolutely nothing to bolster the defense?

We should thank our lucky stars that hometown DeKeyser fell into Holland's lap or our defense would be an absolute s***fest.

#27 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Honestly, I'm disappointed.  

Holland has pretty clearly run out of ideas these last few seasons, so I don't have a lot of hope for significant changes to rebuild the franchise over the next 4 years.  

Who knows though. Maybe he'll finally realize the crap he's done lately isn't working? Maybe??  

If I were Babcock I'd start looking to other teams.

Babs can sit back and let the teams come find him....

As for Holland, I am over him...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#28 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hold your breath it still isn't over and Danny still hasn't re-signed with the team so it can still go downhill :-( this off season is not over yet and I'm extremely worried.but one thing it's for sure this has been the most challenging one since almost two decades.

Plenty RFA's around the league haven't signed yet. It's absolutely nothing to be worried about.

When it comes to Holland, who exactly are you all hoping we were going to replace him with???

Edited by number9, 14 August 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#29 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

But do you lose players like Lidström, Rafalski and Stuart over several years and still do absolutely nothing to bolster the defense?

We should thank our lucky stars that hometown DeKeyser fell into Holland's lap or our defense would be an absolute s***fest.

KFQ!

#30 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Hold your breath it still isn't over and Danny still hasn't re-signed with the team so it can still go downhill :-( this off season is not over yet and I'm extremely worried.but one thing it's for sure this has been the most challenging one since almost two decades.

Plenty RFA's around the league haven't signed yet. It's absolutely nothing to be worried about.
When it comes to Holland, who exactly are you all hoping we were going to replace him with???

Chiarelli guy knows how to build a team and the Bruins fans aren't happy with him

kftx.jpg

#31 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

In Kenny We Trust

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#32 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Chiarelli guy knows how to build a team and the Bruins fans aren't happy with him

That does not mean he's going to be fired at all lol. Red Wings fans HATE Holland right now and the guy just got an extension. Why? Because 99% of fans are blithering idiots who can't see past the next immediate season, so I'm sure the organization really couldn't care less what we think.

EDIT: There's no option available better than Holland

Edited by number9, 14 August 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#33 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

That does not mean he's going to be fired at all lol. Red Wings fans HATE Holland right now and the guy just got an extension. Why? Because 99% of fans are blithering idiots who can't see past the next immediate season, so I'm sure the organization really couldn't care less what we think.

Blank cheques can make things happen ask Anaheim and Toronto about that. Four years before we could have had the captain and I also don't understand Holland does he really not see t hat the game has changed? Why is he so willing to tarnish his legacy?

I think he would be better served as Vice president just my mind

kftx.jpg

#34 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

4 years!? Wow. May need to hibernate in the meantime - its getting pretty lame hearing Holland's excuses every offseason. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#35 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Holland's job is extremely difficult but all that matters are the actual results, not how many tires he kicked. 

Dan Cleary tries as hard or harder than anyone on the team but I don't see people giving him a free pass because of all the plays he tried to make but failed.

And Holland should have been working on a transition plan for Lidstrom's retirement for years.  Him participating in the ridiculous Suter sweepstakes was a pretty good indication that he didn't have one.  The reality is you don't replace Nick Lidstrom.  You have to reevaluate and restructure the entire team.  Holland keeps making moves like it's 2008.

#36 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

I'm so happy! I love mediocrity!!! Four year of barely making the playoffs with no trades or freer agent signings!!! Yessssssssssssssssssssss

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

I'm ok with this.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

Best signing yet. Hollands offseason acquisition is himself. His deadline acquisition will be Babs.

Laughed so hard at this. Can't stop. Post of the week for sure.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#39 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

I'm ok with this.

For the record, I am ok with this too.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#40 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for calling me a blithering idiot :) it's not just missing out on fa's it's also stuff like bringing Cleary back twice, quincey, Sammy, among others. Holland can't let go, and that in turn helps free agents decisions to not want to come here. If he was building a team that would be good in the future I would be ok with him, but he constantly brings in guys who are useless to our team, and I've had enough. I've defended him for several years now, enough is enough