• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
amato

Holland signs 4 year extension with wings **MOD Warning Post 130**

Rate this topic

Its not like the guy scheduled a two week vacation to the moon and skipped free agency the last few years. There's plenty of info that suggests he kicked a ton of tires, made several intriguing offers, and in most cases those players chose not to come here for various reasons. He's not soley to blame for our recent downturn. You don't lose people like Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Osgood and replace them all right away...in some cases you may never be able to replace talent like that.

But do you lose players like Lidström, Rafalski and Stuart over several years and still do absolutely nothing to bolster the defense?

We should thank our lucky stars that hometown DeKeyser fell into Holland's lap or our defense would be an absolute s***fest.

Honestly, I'm disappointed.

Holland has pretty clearly run out of ideas these last few seasons, so I don't have a lot of hope for significant changes to rebuild the franchise over the next 4 years.

Who knows though. Maybe he'll finally realize the crap he's done lately isn't working? Maybe??

If I were Babcock I'd start looking to other teams.

Babs can sit back and let the teams come find him....

As for Holland, I am over him...

Hold your breath it still isn't over and Danny still hasn't re-signed with the team so it can still go downhill :-( this off season is not over yet and I'm extremely worried.but one thing it's for sure this has been the most challenging one since almost two decades.

Plenty RFA's around the league haven't signed yet. It's absolutely nothing to be worried about.

When it comes to Holland, who exactly are you all hoping we were going to replace him with???

Edited by number9

But do you lose players like Lidström, Rafalski and Stuart over several years and still do absolutely nothing to bolster the defense?

We should thank our lucky stars that hometown DeKeyser fell into Holland's lap or our defense would be an absolute s***fest.

KFQ!

Hold your breath it still isn't over and Danny still hasn't re-signed with the team so it can still go downhill :-( this off season is not over yet and I'm extremely worried.but one thing it's for sure this has been the most challenging one since almost two decades.

Plenty RFA's around the league haven't signed yet. It's absolutely nothing to be worried about.

When it comes to Holland, who exactly are you all hoping we were going to replace him with???

Chiarelli guy knows how to build a team and the Bruins fans aren't happy with him

Chiarelli guy knows how to build a team and the Bruins fans aren't happy with him

That does not mean he's going to be fired at all lol. Red Wings fans HATE Holland right now and the guy just got an extension. Why? Because 99% of fans are blithering idiots who can't see past the next immediate season, so I'm sure the organization really couldn't care less what we think.

EDIT: There's no option available better than Holland

Edited by number9

That does not mean he's going to be fired at all lol. Red Wings fans HATE Holland right now and the guy just got an extension. Why? Because 99% of fans are blithering idiots who can't see past the next immediate season, so I'm sure the organization really couldn't care less what we think.

Blank cheques can make things happen ask Anaheim and Toronto about that. Four years before we could have had the captain and I also don't understand Holland does he really not see t hat the game has changed? Why is he so willing to tarnish his legacy?

I think he would be better served as Vice president just my mind

Its not like the guy scheduled a two week vacation to the moon and skipped free agency the last few years. There's plenty of info that suggests he kicked a ton of tires, made several intriguing offers, and in most cases those players chose not to come here for various reasons. He's not soley to blame for our recent downturn. You don't lose people like Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Osgood and replace them all right away...in some cases you may never be able to replace talent like that.

Holland's job is extremely difficult but all that matters are the actual results, not how many tires he kicked.

Dan Cleary tries as hard or harder than anyone on the team but I don't see people giving him a free pass because of all the plays he tried to make but failed.

And Holland should have been working on a transition plan for Lidstrom's retirement for years. Him participating in the ridiculous Suter sweepstakes was a pretty good indication that he didn't have one. The reality is you don't replace Nick Lidstrom. You have to reevaluate and restructure the entire team. Holland keeps making moves like it's 2008.

Guest DeGraa55

I'm so happy! I love mediocrity!!! Four year of barely making the playoffs with no trades or freer agent signings!!! Yessssssssssssssssssssss

Thanks for calling me a blithering idiot :) it's not just missing out on fa's it's also stuff like bringing Cleary back twice, quincey, Sammy, among others. Holland can't let go, and that in turn helps free agents decisions to not want to come here. If he was building a team that would be good in the future I would be ok with him, but he constantly brings in guys who are useless to our team, and I've had enough. I've defended him for several years now, enough is enough

And Holland should have been working on a transition plan for Lidstrom's retirement for years. Him participating in the ridiculous Suter sweepstakes was a pretty good indication that he didn't have one. The reality is you don't replace Nick Lidstrom. You have to reevaluate and restructure the entire team. Holland keeps making moves like it's 2008.

I dunno, harold. I think over the course of this five year drought we've always been a couple key pieces away from seriously competing for the Cup. At the same time, our prospect cupboards were empty, and the brain trust has done a really good job of re-stocking. Right now we have one of the better prospect pools in the league, and I think we're still just a couple key pieces away from being a serious contender, because we still have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen. I think that's rebuilding on the fly. Over the course of a few years you remain competitive, maybe trying for a UFA home run here and there - but the focus is on keeping the competitive core while building up a solid stable of very promising young players that will hopefully complement that core and one day take over. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco have broken through, Smith and DeKeyser should take big steps forward this season, and we're also looking at four or five very good D prospects waiting in the wings, Anthony Mantha being no more than a year away, and our goalie of the future spending his final season as a Griffin.

I (want to) believe Ken Holland has been doing what he's been doing for good reason and that the past few years of "futility" are going to pay off in a big way.

Really like it, our farm system has never looked better. The last few years haven't been ideal, but our playoff streak is still intact and Ken Holland is the reason. There isn't a franchise in the league that never has a few average seasons between great ones. His legacy is going on the line here though, if this team struggles and wastes the last few years of Dats/Zetterberg there aren't going to be fans lining up to reminding us of the 3 Stanley Cups we won with him and having the best team in the league from 1997-2010 which is unfortunate. Time will tell if Ken Holland has a master plan with this franchise, or if he's just meddling his last years in mediocrity hoping his past success will be his legacy.

My thoughts are you never know what you have until it's gone, and for me I think that rings true for Holland. Fans in Detroit have incredible expectations, which is understood, but I don't know of many hockey GM's in the history of the league that could satisfy this fan bases appetite of not only winning, but winning Stanley Cups for over 20 years. Notice I said the history of the league, I don't think there is a better option for the team right now other than Holland, he knows the players we have in the system, if our goal is to win it all soon he gives us our best option. If we want to tank, and surely waste the last years of Datsyuk/Zetterberg, and hopefully build up to a playoff franchise in 5 years then we should get a young GM and give him the reigns, I just don't think that's that right plan.

Best post in this thread. I agree 100%.

Yes, I am not happy with Holland's lack of success when it comes to luring free agents. At the same time though, he has kept us competitive. We continue to make the playoffs, and people forget that a year ago, we took the cup champs to 7 games and had them on the ropes up 3 games to 1. The cup champions last season were #6 in the western conference. Making the playoffs, being healthy, and getting some puck luck is really all it takes to win the cup these days.

For those of you who want to see Holland gone, I would challenge you to find a GM that is better on the market right now. I see no reason to ditch Holland now in exchange for someone unknown or unproven.

I know I am happy with the work he has done in the past, and even though the Wings haven't won the cup or been to the cup finals since 2009, I am good with this signing.

Yes, I am not happy with Holland's lack of success when it comes to luring free agents. At the same time though, he has kept us competitive. We continue to make the playoffs, and people forget that a year ago, we took the cup champs to 7 games and had them on the ropes up 3 games to 1. The cup champions last season were #6 in the western conference. Making the playoffs, being healthy, and getting some puck luck is really all it takes to win the cup these days.

For those of you who want to see Holland gone, I would challenge you to find a GM that is better on the market right now. I see no reason to ditch Holland now in exchange for someone unknown or unproven.

I know I am happy with the work he has done in the past, and even though the Wings haven't won the cup or been to the cup finals since 2009, I am good with this signing.

That's a pretty easy challenge for you to win considering you never really know who is on the market as a GM until they take a job somewhere. :lol:

Some people won't be happy, no matter what happens... I have accepted that... It's sad but very true...

I'm really happy that Kenny is going to remain with the club for the foreseeable future. Those of you that aren't... whatever...

There would be 29 other teams lining up to pay Holland crazy amounts of money if he were let go, and for good reason. Same goes for Babcock, but I bet there would still be angry Wings fans if they signed him to an extension. While it's true that you can never please everyone, some people can never be pleased...

I dunno, harold. I think over the course of this five year drought we've always been a couple key pieces away from seriously competing for the Cup. At the same time, our prospect cupboards were empty, and the brain trust has done a really good job of re-stocking. Right now we have one of the better prospect pools in the league, and I think we're still just a couple key pieces away from being a serious contender, because we still have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen. I think that's rebuilding on the fly. Over the course of a few years you remain competitive, maybe trying for a UFA home run here and there - but the focus is on keeping the competitive core while building up a solid stable of very promising young players that will hopefully complement that core and one day take over. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco have broken through, Smith and DeKeyser should take big steps forward this season, and we're also looking at four or five very good D prospects waiting in the wings, Anthony Mantha being no more than a year away, and our goalie of the future spending his final season as a Griffin.

I (want to) believe Ken Holland has been doing what he's been doing for good reason and that the past few years of "futility" are going to pay off in a big way.

Admittedly I don't know a ton about our prospects. Historically though people here tend to talk like they are all going to make the roster and contribute in a significant way when the reality is that most prospects don't shake out.

My big problem is that even if the Wings are a couple key pieces away from a serious Cup run, Holland isn't landing them and is content to sign some aging vet (and likely former Wing) to fill that hole. The Nyquist situation was absolutely ridiculously and hurt the team.

I think Babcock has done a tremendous job given the mish mash of spare parts he's had to work with over the last few seasons, partly due to injury and partly due to Kenny.

I disagree with that statement. Just getting in the playoffs because the Kings have won it twice as lower seeds doesn't mean that's all it takes. The Red Wings, even completely healthy, don't have anywhere near the talent level right now to compete with the elite teams in the league. Some puck luck and health doesn't get them past Boston in the first round.

I'm not that upset Holland is back (besides the term), but just making the playoffs is one of the problems with Holland at the moment. I don't believe that's something to celebrate when efforts aren't being made to get the team out of that middling position.

Edited by GoWings1905

I disagree with that statement. Just getting in the playoffs because the Kings have won it twice as lower seeds doesn't mean that's all it takes. The Red Wings, even completely healthy, don't have anywhere near the talent level right now to compete with the elite teams in the league. Some puck luck and health doesn't get them past Boston in the first round.

I'm not that upset Holland is back (besides the term), but just making the playoffs is one of the problems with Holland at the moment. I don't believe that's something to celebrate when efforts aren't being made to get the team out of that middling position.

Agreed. It's a huge misperception some people have about the Kings because of their playoff seeding. It overlooks just how good that roster is, as well as the moves they made to improve it.

The Kings have tremendous players like Kopitar, Doughty, Quick. A sniper like Jeff Carter (who's also very good defensively). Talented rookies like Pearson and Toffoli. Solid role players. They're big, physical, have guys with speed. PLUS they made the deadline acquisition of Gaborik, who had 14 goals and 22 points in 26 playoff games.

With all that going for them, they still had epic battles through every round of the playoffs against great teams.