• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#41 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

And Holland should have been working on a transition plan for Lidstrom's retirement for years.  Him participating in the ridiculous Suter sweepstakes was a pretty good indication that he didn't have one.  The reality is you don't replace Nick Lidstrom.  You have to reevaluate and restructure the entire team.  Holland keeps making moves like it's 2008.

I dunno, harold. I think over the course of this five year drought we've always been a couple key pieces away from seriously competing for the Cup. At the same time, our prospect cupboards were empty, and the brain trust has done a really good job of re-stocking. Right now we have one of the better prospect pools in the league, and I think we're still just a couple key pieces away from being a serious contender, because we still have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen. I think that's rebuilding on the fly. Over the course of a few years you remain competitive, maybe trying for a UFA home run here and there - but the focus is on keeping the competitive core while building up a solid stable of very promising young players that will hopefully complement that core and one day take over. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco have broken through, Smith and DeKeyser should take big steps forward this season, and we're also looking at four or five very good D prospects waiting in the wings, Anthony Mantha being no more than a year away, and our goalie of the future spending his final season as a Griffin.

I (want to) believe Ken Holland has been doing what he's been doing for good reason and that the past few years of "futility" are going to pay off in a big way.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#42 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Really like it, our farm system has never looked better. The last few years haven't been ideal, but our playoff streak is still intact and Ken Holland is the reason. There isn't a franchise in the league that never has a few average seasons between great ones. His legacy is going on the line here though, if this team struggles and wastes the last few years of Dats/Zetterberg there aren't going to be fans lining up to reminding us of the 3 Stanley Cups we won with him and having the best team in the league from 1997-2010 which is unfortunate. Time will tell if Ken Holland has a master plan with this franchise, or if he's just meddling his last years in mediocrity hoping his past success will be his legacy.

My thoughts are you never know what you have until it's gone, and for me I think that rings true for Holland. Fans in Detroit have incredible expectations, which is understood, but I don't know of many hockey GM's in the history of the league that could satisfy this fan bases appetite of not only winning, but winning Stanley Cups for over 20 years. Notice I said the history of the league, I don't think there is a better option for the team right now other than Holland, he knows the players we have in the system, if our goal is to win it all soon he gives us our best option. If we want to tank, and surely waste the last years of Datsyuk/Zetterberg, and hopefully build up to a playoff franchise in 5 years then we should get a young GM and give him the reigns, I just don't think that's that right plan.

Best post in this thread.  I agree 100%.

Yes, I am not happy with Holland's lack of success when it comes to luring free agents.  At the same time though, he has kept us competitive.  We continue to make the playoffs, and people forget that a year ago, we took the cup champs to 7 games and had them on the ropes up 3 games to 1.  The cup champions last season were #6 in the western conference.  Making the playoffs, being healthy, and getting some puck luck is really all it takes to win the cup these days. 

For those of you who want to see Holland gone, I would challenge you to find a GM that is better on the market right now.  I see no reason to ditch Holland now in exchange for someone unknown or unproven.

I know I am happy with the work he has done in the past, and even though the Wings haven't won the cup or been to the cup finals since 2009, I am good with this signing.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#43 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Yes, I am not happy with Holland's lack of success when it comes to luring free agents.  At the same time though, he has kept us competitive.  We continue to make the playoffs, and people forget that a year ago, we took the cup champs to 7 games and had them on the ropes up 3 games to 1.  The cup champions last season were #6 in the western conference.  Making the playoffs, being healthy, and getting some puck luck is really all it takes to win the cup these days. 

For those of you who want to see Holland gone, I would challenge you to find a GM that is better on the market right now.  I see no reason to ditch Holland now in exchange for someone unknown or unproven.

I know I am happy with the work he has done in the past, and even though the Wings haven't won the cup or been to the cup finals since 2009, I am good with this signing.

That's a pretty easy challenge for you to win considering you never really know who is on the market as a GM until they take a job somewhere.  :lol:

#44 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Some people won't be happy, no matter what happens... I have accepted that... It's sad but very true...

I'm really happy that Kenny is going to remain with the club for the foreseeable future. Those of you that aren't... whatever...

There would be 29 other teams lining up to pay Holland crazy amounts of money if he were let go, and for good reason. Same goes for Babcock, but I bet there would still be angry Wings fans if they signed him to an extension. While it's true that you can never please everyone, some people can never be pleased...

#45 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

I dunno, harold. I think over the course of this five year drought we've always been a couple key pieces away from seriously competing for the Cup. At the same time, our prospect cupboards were empty, and the brain trust has done a really good job of re-stocking. Right now we have one of the better prospect pools in the league, and I think we're still just a couple key pieces away from being a serious contender, because we still have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen. I think that's rebuilding on the fly. Over the course of a few years you remain competitive, maybe trying for a UFA home run here and there - but the focus is on keeping the competitive core while building up a solid stable of very promising young players that will hopefully complement that core and one day take over. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco have broken through, Smith and DeKeyser should take big steps forward this season, and we're also looking at four or five very good D prospects waiting in the wings, Anthony Mantha being no more than a year away, and our goalie of the future spending his final season as a Griffin.

I (want to) believe Ken Holland has been doing what he's been doing for good reason and that the past few years of "futility" are going to pay off in a big way.

Admittedly I don't know a ton about our prospects. Historically though people here tend to talk like they are all going to make the roster and contribute in a significant way when the reality is that most prospects don't shake out. 

My big problem is that even if the Wings are a couple key pieces away from a serious Cup run, Holland isn't landing them and is content to sign some aging vet (and likely former Wing) to fill that hole.  The Nyquist situation was absolutely ridiculously and hurt the team.

I think Babcock has done a tremendous job given the mish mash of spare parts he's had to work with over the last few seasons, partly due to injury and partly due to Kenny.  

#46 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Yes, I am not happy with Holland's lack of success when it comes to luring free agents.  At the same time though, he has kept us competitive.  We continue to make the playoffs, and people forget that a year ago, we took the cup champs to 7 games and had them on the ropes up 3 games to 1.  The cup champions last season were #6 in the western conference.  Making the playoffs, being healthy, and getting some puck luck is really all it takes to win the cup these days

I disagree with that statement. Just getting in the playoffs because the Kings have won it twice as lower seeds doesn't mean that's all it takes. The Red Wings, even completely healthy, don't have anywhere near the talent level right now to compete with the elite teams in the league. Some puck luck and health doesn't get them past Boston in the first round. 

I'm not that upset Holland is back (besides the term), but just making the playoffs is one of the problems with Holland at the moment. I don't believe that's something to celebrate when efforts aren't being made to get the team out of that middling position. 

Edited by GoWings1905, 14 August 2014 - 02:17 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#47 Vladinator16

Vladinator16

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

I don't know if the tires can take another four years of being kicked. 

#48 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

2ufrn9y.jpg

works every time

#49 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

I disagree with that statement. Just getting in the playoffs because the Kings have won it twice as lower seeds doesn't mean that's all it takes. The Red Wings, even completely healthy, don't have anywhere near the talent level right now to compete with the elite teams in the league. Some puck luck and health doesn't get them past Boston in the first round. 

I'm not that upset Holland is back (besides the term), but just making the playoffs is one of the problems with Holland at the moment. I don't believe that's something to celebrate when efforts aren't being made to get the team out of that middling position. 

Agreed. It's a huge misperception some people have about the Kings because of their playoff seeding.  It overlooks just how good that roster is, as well as the moves they made to improve it. 

The Kings have tremendous players like Kopitar, Doughty, Quick. A sniper like Jeff Carter (who's also very good defensively).  Talented rookies like Pearson and Toffoli.  Solid role players.  They're big, physical, have guys with speed.  PLUS they made the deadline acquisition of Gaborik, who had 14 goals and 22 points in 26 playoff games.

With all that going for them, they still had epic battles through every round of the playoffs against great teams.

#50 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

oh goodie. this and Quincy/Cleary makes my offseason

My wish: A healthy roster

#51 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

oh goodie. this and Quincy/Cleary makes my offseason

Stanley Cup, here we come!

#52 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

http://www.usatoday....nsion/14052063/

Since taking over as Red Wings GM in July 1997, Holland, 58, has put together a team that has won more regular-season games (746) and postseason games (115) than any other NHL team.
"I'm proud of our 23 years of making the playoffs, and I'm excited about challenges going forward," he said. "We've been a team, the last two years, that's been a bubble team. I believe, if you get in and you get hot, it's wide open.
"Our goal going into 2014-15 is, hopefully, we can compete with the top teams in the East, with Boston and Tampa Bay, and Montreal, which went to the final four. We've got a tough division. We're trying to compete for a playoff spot, be a contender.
"At the same time, we're also trying to develop young players to build a core much like we did in late '80s, early '90s that carried us for a decade, and then again in the late '90s. I'm optimistic and excited about our younger players, that they will continue to develop into Detroit Red Wings players."
In a statement released by the team, owners Mike and Marian Ilitch cited Holland's success, saying that "Ken is regarded as one of the premier executives in the National Hockey League and has been instrumental in the success of the Red Wings over the last two decades. Marian and I are extremely pleased that he will continue to lead our hockey club over the next four years.
"We feel strongly that stability is key to the success of any organization, and having this new agreement in place with Ken is important to the organization and its future."

#53 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

http://www.usatoday....nsion/14052063/

5] 

Stopped reading at the first quote. Put together what? Inherited is the proper word.

Edited by DeGraa55, 14 August 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#54 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Pretty expected, actually. I'm more curious about the Babcock extension to be honest.

This upcoming off-season is a big one for KH, there are quite a few decent dmen on the market (assuming they get to UFA) and with mostly missing out on FAs the past couple of seasons he needs to shed the dead weight and get a solid player or two. 

I'm not the hugest fan of Hollands last couple of seasons, but I don't think it is as bad as some folks are suggesting. 

People are acting like he signed Cleary and Quincey INSTEAD of going after a better free agent, but the fact is, he missed out on the free agents and then signed Cleary and Quincey well after all the good FAs signed elsewhere. Sure, I'd rather have some youngsters in there instead, but I see fans kind of twisting it around a bit. 

Posted Image

#55 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

Stopped reading at the first quote. Put together what? Inherited is the proper word.

Yes because the team he inherited won all those games....It obviously never changed....we never acquired or drafted anyone good....oh right let me guess....someone else gets all the credit for that... :ok:

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#56 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

Nothing screams job accountability like giving an extension to a guy that's gotten consistently worse at his job each year in the last 5 years.

That pizza selling vegetable Ilitch needs to sell the team to someone who still gives a s***.  

I'm ok with this.

So you don't believe in job accountability?

Just because someone was good 10 years ago, shouldn't give them a pass to be lazy at their current job.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#57 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

That's a pretty easy challenge for you to win considering you never really know who is on the market as a GM until they take a job somewhere.   :lol:

This is true to some extent.  However, lets look at some of the people whom some fans wanted as GM of the Wings instead of Holland.

Yzerman - So far, he has done well at Tampa Bay.  Their roster this year looks better than last year.  Except since he took over, they made the playoffs their first year, missed the second year and third year, and then made it last year only to get swept in the first round.  Better than Holland?  That remains to be seen.

Ray Shero would be the only guy I would even consider being GM of the Wings. 

Nothing screams job accountability like giving an extension to a guy that's gotten consistently worse at his job each year in the last 5 years.

That pizza selling vegetable Ilitch needs to sell the team to someone who still gives a s***.  

So you don't believe in job accountability?

Just because someone was good 10 years ago, shouldn't give them a pass to be lazy at their current job.  

If his job is to ensure that we have a competitive team that competes for a championship every season, he has achieved his goal.

If you are measuring accountability by championship or nothing, then there are 29 other GMs who are also failing.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#58 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

The really good news here is the fact that we may now hopefully see Babs locked up as to me at least (from what I've read), all that was holding him back was actually just having a new deal for KH. 

temp 1

#59 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

This is true to some extent.  However, lets look at some of the people whom some fans wanted as GM of the Wings instead of Holland.

Yzerman - So far, he has done well at Tampa Bay.  Their roster this year looks better than last year.  Except since he took over, they made the playoffs their first year, missed the second year and third year, and then made it last year only to get swept in the first round.  Better than Holland?  That remains to be seen.

If his job is to ensure that we have a competitive team that competes for a championship every season, he has achieved his goal.

If you are measuring accountability by championship or nothing, then there are 29 other GMs who are also failing.

We don't have a competitive team that competes for a championship every season.  We should, considering we have two of the best players in the game, but their latter years don't look like they'll be spent on Cup contenders.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#60 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Jim Nil? Guy fixed Dallas center problem in 12 months and has people excited about the team again while still working on a tight budget.

Ray Shero would be a nice choice also at least being him in as an assistant the guy has tons of experience and isn't afraid to trade players.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..