• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Learn2LuvIt

Datsyuk or Fedorov?

Rate this topic

Just got into a debate with a friend of mine regarding Datsyuk vs. Fedorov. So I decided to throw these questions out to the group:

1. Who will ultimately be viewed by Wings fan as the better player for us?

2. Will Fedorov end up in the HOF?

3. Will Datsyuk end up in the HOF?

1. In answering for myself, Fedorov was the better player. In terms of Wings fans in general, I wouldn't be surprised if more said Datsyuk, for several reasons: he didn't have a nasty exit from the team, for a long time now (at forward), the team has been him and Zetterberg, there were more greats around in Fedorov's day + timing thing, Datsyuk's more current.

2. Fedorov should get in fairly easily, but his offensive stats tailed off (under 1ppg, under 500 goals), but he was better all around than anyone + playoff stats are good and he has the major awards to back him up. Also, being the highest scoring Russian in league history will help. Ovechkin will likely pass him, Datsyuk won't, but either way, Fedorov will have held that title for many years.

3. I'm honestly not sure about Datsyuk getting in. Then again, it's always hard to say. There are worse players in than Datsyuk, but there are also better players that haven't made it.

Guest DeGraa55

1 Fed

2 yes

3 no, I don't think he puts up good enough numbers but if they look at his defense then I'd say yes but I thought HOF is mostly about numbers.

1 Fed

2 yes

3 no, I don't think he puts up good enough numbers but if they look at his defense then I'd say yes but I thought HOF is mostly about numbers.

Larionov, Neely, and Bure would like to say hello.

Datsyuk will most likely have more pts than Forsberg by the end of his career.

Why is there two of the exact same thread on here right on top of each other? I'm so confused I could die.

Also, fedorov, but I like datsyuk better :)

It's probably my fault, I brought up the old one Edited by number9

In some ways both guys are similar. Magic when they've got the puck and could do tremendous things, while also being terrific defensively. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with such an amazing pair of hands as Datsyuk. Definitely rivals Alexei Kovalev if not passes. Fedorov probably has Datsyuk in terms of wheels, and probably wrist shot, although Datsyuk's backhander is definitely the best in the league right now and has been for some time. I'd say that they might be pretty even defensively.

Personally I didn't see enough of Fedorov when he was at his best, having only started following the Wings around 1999, whereas I've seen pretty much all of Datsyuk's career. That said, while I'm watching the 1997 playoffs this summer, I can definitely tell that Sergei just has this presence and this awesomeness about his game that is pretty much elite at times which reminds me of Pavel.

Quite honestly, I don't think I can pick a better player right now. For me, it'll depend on whether Datsyuk tails off as much at the end of his career to the extent Fedorov did when he was in Anaheim and Columbus. I wonder if anyone would give Datsyuk extra points for spending his whole career as a Red Wing?

Fedorov should be in the hall at some point, whether Pavel makes it is down to these next 3 years I reckon. If he accrues enough goals/points etc then he might squeak in in a few years.

Edited by wings4thecup06

1) I can't say who fans will ultimately view as the better player, in part because of what exactly people include in "better player." Some fans are still bitter about how Fedorov left. In terms of who was the better player on the ice though, it's Fedorov.

2) 2 Selke's, a Hart, Pearson, 483 goals, 696 assists and put up 20+ points in four consecutive playoffs. He better make the HHOF.

3) Not sure. It seems like Datsyuk will be on the bubble. He's such a magician with the puck that you'd want him to get in for that alone, but he doesn't have the kind of numbers or trophies that make it a lock.

Yes but Datsyuk has already played over 100 more games than Forsberg. You're not accounting for those players injury shortened careers. The HHOF did.

And Larionov got in as much for his days playing on the KLM line for the Soviet Union than for his accomplishments in the NHL.

Guest DeGraa55

Why is it that when you bold someone's comment you only bold half of it? It kind of completely changes that statement aomeone(me) said.

Edited by DeGraa55

1. Fedorov was the better player. Better skater, better defensively, much better and more dangerous shot. Datsyuk is probably the better passer and has the best hands in NHL history. Fedorov has a higher playoff PPG. Datsyuk has disappeared in too many playoffs. Datsyuk will be looked at more favorably because of how Fedorov left. Others have already pointed this out.

2. Fedorov will be in the HHOF. Only a matter of time.

3. Datsyuk may make it. 2 Cups and 3 Selke trophies. His PPG would be higher if he played in the era some of bubble guys like Damphousse and Turgeon played in.

Why is it that when you bold someone's comment you only bold half of it? It kind of completely changes that statement aomeone(me) said.

bc I was referencing your statement about numbers and not defense. It didn't change your argument at all.

Guest DeGraa55

bc I was referencing your statement about numbers and not defense. It didn't change your argument at all.

You missed the part of where I said I THINK it's about numbers. Meaning I don't know be you skipped the I think part to make it sound like I was making a statement or fact when it was a guess.

It completely changed his argument. By not bolding "I thought" you turned his post into a statement of fact that the HHOF is all about numbers, when it was really almost a question. You also left out the scenario where he said Datsyuk could make the HHOF.

Your selective bolding transformed his statement into

"No I don't think he puts up good enough numbers. HOF is mostly about numbers."

Which is significantly different than

"No, I don't think he puts up good enough numbers but if they look at his defense then I'd say yes but I thought the HOF is mostly about numbers."

You missed the part of where I said I THINK it's about numbers. Meaning I don't know be you skipped the I think part to make it sound like I was making a statement or fact when it was a guess.

agreed.

It completely changed his argument. By not bolding "I thought" you turned his post into a statement of fact that the HHOF is all about numbers, when it was really almost a question. You also left out the scenario where he said Datsyuk could make the HHOF.

Your selective bolding transformed his statement into

"No I don't think he puts up good enough numbers. HOF is mostly about numbers."

Which is significantly different than

"No, I don't think he puts up good enough numbers but if they look at his defense then I'd say yes but I thought the HOF is mostly about numbers."

agreed.

Defense is arbitrary, all I was trying to do was avoid discussing that.

Everyone can you still you read that your wrote "Thought" as can I. You also said "mostly" about numbers as well, which pretty much shows ur not trying to make it a "fact".

Not trying to change anyone's argument....

I'll be more careful with what I highlight from now on jeez

Fedorov. HOF for Feds, yes. Datsyuk, if he returns to 90+ points per year yes. He needs a couple MVP type years to lock him in.

I think the better comparison is Datsyuk and Larionov since both are pass first type guys although Dats Dekes are top tier of all time.

I'll be the minority here and say Datsyuk. I won't deny that Feds was super skilled, but he also had a pretty tremendous team around him. Datsyuk would have better numbers if he was playing with the team that Fedorov was playing for back then. Again, no discredit to skill level, sometimes the quality of players around you make you play better.

Fedorov, there is no reason why he shouldn't make the HOF.

Datsyuk, I feel like he absolutely should, I feel pretty confident that he will, but I understand if he doesn't.

I think both at their prime giving 100% full effort, I would have to give the edge to Fedorov. However, if they were both in their prime right now and I could only have one, I would choose Datsyuk. Fedorov as good as he was, brought drama, I dont think I have ever heard a single teammate/coach/executive ever say a bad thing about Datsyuk.

I think both end up in the HOF.

If question 4 was: Who's jersey do the Wings retire, my answer is:

Fedorov no, based on the fact it hasn't happened yet, and because of the way left. Datsyuk I think yes, because h's played his entire career here, always given 100%, and been a great guy in the locker room far as I know from day 1.

Datsyuk is a very unique player. Watching hockey for more than 25 years I've never seen a player like him. Adding 2 cups and 3 selkes (+some useless trophies like Lady Bing I guess) makes him a lock for HOF.

It is hard to choose between Fedorov and Datsyuk as they are completely different. Fedorov is your classic superstar just like Sakic or Sundin, you can't go wrong with him as your number 1 center. He did everything at a very high level. However, I could list a bunch of guys who were/are at the same level. I would still choose Datsyuk for the way he thinks the game. It is fun to see that even a slight mistake in defenseman positioning could create a scoring chance. Wtih Datsyuk on the ice it is like a chess instead of hockey.

PS I think Patrick Kane is quite similar to Datsyuk. Parhaps, one of the reasons I cannot really "hate" Chicago.