70 replies to this topic

#61 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

DD,

Just looked into it. Bowman stated in an interview that Feds was complaining about his ice time and that he told him only way he was getting more is if he played defense. Sergei obliged. Nothing to do with screwing with him or his D abilities.

#62 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Best two-way player.  Outside of this forum, not many people have said he's a better player than Crosby or Malkin, or should be rated higher.  

Seems like people now think Tayes is the best two-way player in the game.  

Toews has only had 1 elite year defensively (which was in a shortened season) and the rest were just good to above average. Last year was a "down year" defensively for him, at least statistically speaking. If the consensus is that he's the best 2-way guy (that is a popular opinion) it is based more on Canadian media hype than anything else. Kopitar, Bergeron, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa... just to name a few, are all at least as good defensively and many of them are better offensively. Not to slight Toews or anything, but I reject the idea that he (or anyone else right now) is a clear cut best two-way player.

What's amazing about Datsyuk is when he was at his defensive peak, he was not only winning Selkes repeatedly, but he was putting up 97 points. Toews has only broken 70 points one time in his career (and it was 5 years ago) and has never broken 80. 

Back on topic: I take Datsyuk for consistency. No question Feds peak was considerably higher, and he had the potential to be one of the best in the game all time, but he had attitude problems and just took nights (and weeks and months sometimes) off. No one has ever, EVER accused Datsyuk of having a bad attitude. Ok maybe Cherry has, but that doesn't count.

Edited by hooon, 25 August 2014 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image

#63 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Best two-way player.  Outside of this forum, not many people have said he's a better player than Crosby or Malkin, or should be rated higher.  

Seems like people now think Tayes is the best two-way player in the game.  

Most complete player. I feel like I've heard it said he's the most rounded player for a few years now. Whether that translates into being "better" than Malkin and Crosby and their offensive numbers is obviously debatable.

Crosby and makin are still better than toews IMO. The thing that he is better is in leadership.

Toews is a better two way player than them. Is that even in question? I don't recall Malkin and Crosby being highly regarded for their defensive game. Or have I been under a rock too long?

On topic though I don't have the freshest memories of Fedorov. I was pretty young. I think Datsyuk gets in the hall of fame though.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero, 25 August 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#64 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

Found myself pondering this question: Is Hossa a to be HOFer?

#65 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Found myself pondering this question: Is Hossa a to be HOFer?

I would assume so.

#66 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

I saw both play, and regardless of the stats, I can always expect to be wowed by something Pavel will do on the ice. Be it a deke, a pass, a hit avoided, a steal, something. Not so much for Fedorov. He might score 4 points, but they will be somewhat boring, just a guy who is stronger, shoots harder, and skates faster overcoming the inferior competition. Kind of like watching a adult play with kids, almost. :)

#67 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

I saw both play, and regardless of the stats, I can always expect to be wowed by something Pavel will do on the ice. Be it a deke, a pass, a hit avoided, a steal, something. Not so much for Fedorov. He might score 4 points, but they will be somewhat boring, just a guy who is stronger, shoots harder, and skates faster overcoming the inferior competition. Kind of like watching a adult play with kids, almost. :)

Yzerman, Fedorov, and Zetterberg all did/do everything perfectly, text book. Datsyuk writes his own book.

#68 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

Yzerman, Fedorov, and Zetterberg all did/do everything perfectly, text book. Datsyuk writes his own book.

From watching the 97 playoffs though, every time Fedorov is on the ice, you can tell there's potential for him to wreak havoc. His wheels are enough for you to sit up and take notice. 

Not having witnessed Stevie in his prime, I can't make a fair comparison. But I agree about Datsyuk. Just every time he's out there, you wonder 'what's he going to do next'. Guy is arguably and has been the most exciting player in the league over the last decade. 

temp 1

#69 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

I'm just old enough to have watched both players for the entirety of their careers (probably missed some of the really early Fedorov stuff).  I think Fedorov was a special athlete, while Datsyuk is a special intellect/talent.  But as differently as I think about those two guys, the end result for both of them was an immensely productive player who happened to be one of the best defensive players in the game - but maybe could have put up even higher offensive numbers if they treated the game the way an Ovechkin or Gaborik does.  

In terms of Hall credentials, I think the two of them may end up being almost equal.  Datsyuk's later years will end up being more productive, which balances out the fact that he wasn't as dynamic at his best as Fedorov was around 94/95.  But it's telling that they could end up with somewhat equal track records, and Fedorov won 3 Cups as an elite player, while Datsyuk won us 1.5 (he was basically a 4th liner on that '02 team), and yet the people on this board would automatically retire #13, but largely take a pass on the #91.

#70 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:45 AM

Say what  you will, but there is an intangible here.  It's called attitude.  One has an attitude that is a little hard to work with.  One has an attitude that you love to see.  I'll let you figure out which is which.  Some might think that means next to nothing, but you'd be  surprised.

HHOF?  One, maybe.  One, I should think  so.  Again, I'll let you figure out which is which.

Posted Image

#71 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

I believe both will be in the hall. As the better player that's a different question. Fedorov all day every day. If he came to play everyday. Dats is awesome no question. But he can't take over and score like Feds. Both play great d but Feds actually played on a d line.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World