• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

Anyone frequent Sharks message boards?  Wondering what the discussion is like there....any additional insights, etc.

From the looks of it they are in complete blow up mode. Fire Mclellan. Get something for Thornton and Marleau while we still can. That whole deal. They also seem to be talking about a Marleau for Marchand trade based on a rumor from the spring.

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

Jumbo Joke will go down in history as a great player and a Hall of Famer, but a guy that never got to the Finals in his prime.  He might get to one in his later years, riding some other team's coattails.  Tough to say whether that's his fault or the supporting cast.  Likely his, because he hasn't exactly gone down swinging in the series where his team gets eliminated (usually the 2nd round)  

You never know.  Marleau has played well since he's been stripped of the captaincy.  Maybe it'll work out (in the regular season).  

From the looks of it they are in complete blow up mode. Fire Mclellan. Get something for Thornton and Marleau while we still can. That whole deal. They also seem to be talking about a Marleau for Marchand trade based on a rumor from the spring.

Trading a star player for a pesty clown?  What is Marchand's offensive upside?  There has to be more in that trade.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Just paid a visit to letsgosharks... It's very similar to here actually. Lots of frustration. The level headed fans realize that they're still a very good team though.

Apparently Mclellan said "our toughness is our power play" lol I almost died laughing. Right out of the Wings textbook haha.

Jumbo Joke will go down in history as a great player and a Hall of Famer, but a guy that never got to the Finals in his prime.  He might get to one in his later years, riding some other team's coattails.  Tough to say whether that's his fault or the supporting cast.  Likely his, because he hasn't exactly gone down swinging in the series where his team gets eliminated (usually the 2nd round)  

You never know.  Marleau has played well since he's been stripped of the captaincy.  Maybe it'll work out (in the regular season).  

Trading a star player for a pesty clown?  What is Marchand's offensive upside?  There has to be more in that trade.  

I'm sure there is, I only glanced at the "rumor"

#24 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Right now, Marchand is a 25-30 goal guy, his offensive production in not that much less than Marleau, plus, Marleau is 35, Marchand is 26.

So, what you lose in offsense is minimal (if any if you consider age and more years in prime for Marchand) you pick up in sandpaper.  Marchand is a bit of a dick though, so you have to consider that.

#25 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

IMO, and this is coming from a spoiled Red Wing standpoint, once you give a guy a C you mark him as that for his career. You don't take it back and you don't trade him (Unless things go horribly wrong). If you do either of those you probably shouldn't have given that guy a C in the first place, or you should have just rolled with 3 A's. I personally think they should have just let him keep it until they trade him. If I was him I'd be pissed if my C was stripped from me and handed to Pavelski near the end of my career, and as they continue to expect the best from me.

Yea, but if San Jose was Detroit, Joe wouldn't have lasted this long here. Us Wings fans would have booed him and Marleau out of town after 2010-11. Plus Joe would have received huge criticism from Wings fans and media for not shooting enough.

I think taking the C away from Joe is the right thing to do. The Sharks need new leadership.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#26 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

Yea, but if San Jose was Detroit, Joe wouldn't have lasted this long here. Us Wings fans would have booed him and Marleau out of town after 2010-11. Plus Joe would have received huge criticism from Wings fans and media for not shooting enough.

I think taking the C away from Joe is the right thing to do. The Sharks need new leadership.

Idk we don't critique datsyuk for passing the puck to Abby instead of shooting at a open god damn net.

Ok maybe you're right lol.

#27 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

The Sharks, Canucks and us - all former western powerhouses - knew this would come it just amazes me, how Wilson is willing to destroy the reputation of their franchise. Both guys just re-signed a few months ago and now he is trying to piss them off by removing the C, A if I'm Thornton I'm smiling in his face telling him no matter what I#m not going to waive, if you try to ignore me on purpose and don't play me...well the NHLPA wil get involved.

Man finding the message board there is hard to do and makes me appreciate our well structured and greatly styled one even more. But I do understand some of their fans they want a real rebuild and Wilson seems to be unwilling. It's sad to see seeing former powerhouses barely making the playoffs or missing them.

as for the toughness comment if I'm Stoll I'd be starting a lot of MMA training after normal workouts because Scott will talk to him no matter what but man that PP comment is *lol* their toughness at least now has a name Scott.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#28 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Obviously Mclellan is not happy with the leadership on his team.  I personally see nothing wrong with stripping the "leaders" of their letters in an attempt to motivate them and/or find others to replace them.  I feel a quality of a good coach is to try new methods to motivate his players if the current method is not working, which it certainly is not.  Good for him.  I am glad this is happening however, because I HATE the Sharks....

#29 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

if I'm Thornton I'm smiling in his face telling him no matter what I#m not going to waive, if you try to ignore me on purpose and don't play me...well the NHLPA wil get involved.

I dont think there is anything the PA can do. As long as the Sharks are paying him, the team can do whatever they want in terms of letters, playing time, etc. Nobody can prove the reason behind the decision. If a grievance was filed, the Sharks can easily make an argument that they feel their team needs different leadership given the past few playoff failures.

#30 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:11 AM

I think Sharks management are doing the right thing. Something has got to change in that organization. I dont think it has anything to do with "class" or lack thereof. It is the pragmatic thing to do in a situation like this.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#31 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

I think Sharks management are doing the right thing. Something has got to change in that organization. I dont think it has anything to do with "class" or lack thereof. It is the pragmatic thing to do in a situation like this.

I think why this is so upsetting to people is because they were just signed to extensions a few months prior to all this happening. Its like they were promised everything, agreed to take discounts, and now are being pushed out since do to their lower cap hits and 3 year terms will get a lot back in return.

If i'm Coulture or Pav and I am a UFA in a few years, no way I'm resigning with San Jose after I see the way they treats their vets, Marleau has been there for I think 16 years.

#32 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

I think why this is so upsetting to people is because they were just signed to extensions a few months prior to all this happening. Its like they were promised everything, agreed to take discounts, and now are being pushed out since do to their lower cap hits and 3 year terms will get a lot back in return.

If i'm Coulture or Pav and I am a UFA in a few years, no way I'm resigning with San Jose after I see the way they treats their vets, Marleau has been there for I think 16 years.

Exactly what I was thinking. If I'm Pav, Couture, or Vlasic I'd do my time there, and do it well. But when my contract is up I'm telling them I saw what kind of "loyalty" they display to their vets and how they treated them. Then I'd hit the market.

#33 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

Exactly this could easily backfire and destroy the reputation of the Sharks. Players around the league are talking to each other and I don't think this is the kind of stuff an owner, GM, coach ...would want players to talk about. It's disgusting and there is no way around it.

Thornton and Marelau have NTC clauses, Wilson gave it to them so the "best" he can do is telling McLellan to not play both of these guys so they then can sit at home and collect massive paychecks, while the Sharks are a worse team with a very bad reputation.

kftx.jpg

#34 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

the alternative then is to keep status quo and continue to disappoint in the post season for another couple of years. I'm sure the fans would appreciate the class in that... I'm sure everybody understand that this is nothing but business and move on.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

the alternative then is to keep status quo and continue to disappoint in the post season for another couple of years. I'm sure the fans would appreciate the class in that... I'm sure everybody understand that this is nothing but business and move on.

The thing is, if Marleau and Thornton won't waive - which they won't - the Sharks can do nothing about that. Sure the alternative is to treat them like crap, they the locker room gets sore and the new core will remember that for the rest of their career. Immediately the Sharks could forget re-signing Vlasic, Couture, Pavelski.

One of their biggest problems is goaltending and a reliable defenseman for Vlasic.

kftx.jpg

#36 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Again.....then they shouldn't have signed them to extensions just a few months ago.

#37 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:14 AM

I think they'll keep Marleau, just cause he's their only career Shark. But hey, if they are willing to go these lengths then maybe his heads on the chopping block as well.

The one thing I love about Marleau is how much he pisses off JR. God I hate JR.