58 replies to this topic

#41 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

Let's not hope Babcock tries to turn him into a defenseman..../ sarcasm

I can see your point... Let him be fed and rack up points; Ya think he could put up more points playing with Pavs and Hank versus Abby?

My left shoe could put up more points than Abby playing with z and d.

#42 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

Left shoe on the right wing. Another leftie on the right side in Detroit, nothing changes.

Posted Image

#43 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

I think the point is there is no Rob Brown effect with Dats (as opposed to Z), its the natural goalscorers who benefit from playing with
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#44 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

Yes, but can your left shoe pull a piano?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

Yes, but can your left shoe pull a piano?

Depends of the size, now obviously if my left shoe is attached at the end of a pulley system a piano should be no problem.

#46 MaynardJmzKeenan

MaynardJmzKeenan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Anthony (Tony) Mantha, aka Scarface, say ello to my lil friend. Put him on Dat's line and watch him shine...

Edited by MaynardJmzKeenan, 15 September 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#47 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

Anthony (Tony) Mantha, aka Scarface, say ello to my lil friend. Put him on Dat's line and watch him shine...

Please don't do that, now I'm gonna get him confused with the Player Formerly Known as Steve. Or was it Agent Orange?

f***.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#48 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

Soooo apparently if Mantha plays less than 10 NHL games, his entry-level deal doesn't even start until next year...

Source

If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games, the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.
Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.
CBA reference: Section 9.1 (d) (P. 23-24)

That's quite the loophole...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#49 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,174 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Soooo apparently if Mantha plays less than 10 NHL games, his entry-level deal doesn't even start until next year...

Source

That's always been the case

#50 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

That's always been the case

Usually if you play in the AHL it burns a year.  That's not the case here...

This essentially puts him on a 4 year ELC.  This is the first I've heard of this.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#51 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

It's exceptionally rare for a prospect of Mantha's stature to be able to play a full season of pro hockey and not even have it count against his ELC.

Similar thing happened with Tatar's contract.  Hence why his ELC lasted from 2009-14.

Edited by Son of a Wing, 16 September 2014 - 02:31 PM.

Vince Lombardi

#52 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

Source

There is absolutely no way KH is going to not take advantage of the "free year" of development. 

So, 9 games is all we get this year, folks. 

#53 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

There is absolutely no way KH is going to not take advantage of the "free year" of development. 

It wouldn't be all that much of a bad thing tbh. Give Mantha virtually a full year to adjust to the pro game and then start tearing it up, while the Wings gain a free year of his deal. 

That way, when he does start on the NHL roster guaranteed in 15-16, he'll be much better than he is now. 

temp 1

#54 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

It's certainly not a popularity contest in Kens world lol.

#55 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

I'm pretty sure we burned a year of Dekeyser's contract in 2012-13 when we kept him up at the end the year even though the "smart" business decision would have been to send him to GR.

#56 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

I'm pretty sure we burned a year of Dekeyser's contract in 2012-13 when we kept him up at the end the year even though the "smart" business decision would have been to send him to GR.

Yes, but Dekeyser is an underpaid god amongst men, deserving of 4 million a year, and is a future #1 D unless Holland F's it up someho. Don't you pay attention PVD?

#57 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:15 PM

Alright, that means his $1.5 million bonus won't kick in right? Sorry wrong guy.

But I'm ok with it, I never thought he was gonna actually be in the lineup anyways, so this is actually a silver lining

#58 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:35 PM

That team could ill-afford to keep DeKeyser down then. Between the injuries and porous defense, the Wings needed DeKeyser to even make the playoffs. Babs said after that they probably don't get in without DeKeyser around. That's a pretty rare example of the Wings not opting to bury a player in Grand Rapids and it would have been a colossal failure to do so.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#59 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

That team could ill-afford to keep DeKeyser down then. Between the injuries and porous defense, the Wings needed DeKeyser to even make the playoffs. Babs said after that they probably don't get in without DeKeyser around. That's a pretty rare example of the Wings not opting to bury a player in Grand Rapids and it would have been a colossal failure to do so.

Add into that equation the fact that Babs also said that if DeKeyser hadn't got injured, we'd probably beaten Chicago. 

temp 1