• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Euro_Twins

2014 Preseason Thread

Rate this topic

I guess auto correct got us both.

My point was McCarty would never back down from a fight, even if he knew he would get his ass beat. Yes chara was acting like a little girl, but if you're supposed to be an enforcer and you're vying for a spot on the team, showcase the fact that you won't take s*** from anyone. Don't do the Phil kessel. Even Smith was ready to go with chara last year.

Edit: auto correct strikes again.

What's Callahan going to do, bleed on him? He's 6ft. and 195 lbs. There's no honor or virtue in getting mauled by a giant.

Are-You-Not-Entertained-300x259.jpg

A pest, a PK'er and someone who can chip in some timely goals. A guy who you hope turns into, best example I can think of, an Andrew Shaw? Brad Marchand-lite, even.

So basically an agitator ? I don't want him to fall as low as Marchand - have fun being that **** without Thornton :) - , Andrew Shaw onb the other hand would be nice

So basically an agitator ? I don't want him to fall as low as Marchand - have fun being that **** without Thornton :) - , Andrew Shaw onb the other hand would be nice

Well you know... Marchand-lite. Lower point totals and general level of... women's hygiene product-ness.

Edited by Jesusberg

I thought his advantage over disney.com was his physicality and willingness to drop the gloves. Which to me says he's more of an enforcer. Otherwise I see no advance over disney.com, so to me he's not gonna make the team.

I thought his advantage over disney.com was his physicality and willingness to drop the gloves. Which to me says he's more of an enforcer. Otherwise I see no advance over disney.com, so to me he's not gonna make the team.

Who the hell is disney.com?

Probert (RIP big man) was the best enforcer ever and I think by the old standards DMac was still a heavyweight. Players weren't that big, strong and over the top trained back in the days. Charas father is a wrestler and the guy is tough but he is also somewhat of a spotpicker - just like Shea Weber - I've yet to see him fight against a legitimate heavyweight (Orr, Engelland and Scott ...), his fights are basically a hug match where he gets the take down and thats that. That being said guy is country strong and an absolute freak of nature.

I'm looking for a short summary of the match but can't find anything on tsn thanks to the new format *gr*

Mac usually stayed away from the heavys and let Probert or Kocur handle them, but I agree he wouldnt back down from a challenge. I dont think it is fair to put Callahan in the fighter category though. He is like a Maltby that will fight.

Mac usually stayed away from the heavys and let Probert or Kocur handle them, but I agree he wouldnt back down from a challenge. I dont think it is fair to put Callahan in the fighter category though. He is like a Maltby that will fight.

Or like a Tootoo that can play hockey?

(So basically Brandon Prust)

That's being extremely generous of you. Prust is and was a much tougher player.

He racked up close to triple the amount of penalty minutes on average in the AHL.

I was talking about style of play...not effectiveness. Prust is a tough, agitating, bottom sixer who actually has hockey skills (defense, pk, and some offense). Callahan's style of play is closer to that than an enforcer, or pure agitator (e.g. Tootoo, Torres, Asham).

If you look back at the post I was responding to, someone called Callahan a "Maltby that can fight". Which pretty much desribes Brandon Prust exactly.

Edited by kipwinger

I was talking about style of play...not effectiveness. Prust is a tough, agitating, bottom sixer who actually has hockey skills (defense, pk, and some offense). Callahan's style of play is closer to that than an enforcer, or pure agitator (e.g. Tootoo, Torres, Asham).

If you look back at the post I was responding to, someone called Callahan a "Maltby that can fight". Which pretty much desribes Brandon Prust exactly.

We can agree to disagree then because I don't see that comparison at all.

Torres and Asham both put up far better numbers in the AHL then Callahan. I don't see Callahan as any more than a 4th liner. Hell, he's probably going to clear waivers.

We can agree to disagree then because I don't see that comparison at all.

Torres and Asham both put up far better numbers in the AHL then Callahan. I don't see Callahan as any more than a 4th liner. Hell, he's probably going to clear waivers.

I think perhaps I'm not being as clear as I intend to be. I'm not talking about how effective he'll be in the NHL. I don't know. What I do know is that Callahan isn't considered a one trick pony. He can skate, play special teams, and is pretty solid defensively. All while chipping in a little offense. Kinda like Prust does and Maltby used to do (at the NHL level). Nobody in the NHL has ever relied on Tootoo, Torres, or Asham for anything other than being a hard hitting instigator.

Will Callahan do that in the NHL? I have no idea. But up to this point he's been a lot more versatile in the AHL then you're suggesting.

Edited by kipwinger

I think, I'm perhaps not being as clear as I'm intending to be. I'm not talking about how effective he'll be in the NHL. I don't know. What I do know is that Callahan isn't considered a one trick pony. He can skate, play special teams, and is pretty solid defensively. All while chipping in a little offense. Kinda like Prust does and Maltby used to do (at the NHL level). Nobody in the NHL has ever relied on Tootoo, Torres, or Asham for anything other than being a hard hitting instigator.

Will Callahan do that in the NHL? I have no idea. But up to this point he's been a lot more versatile in the AHL then you're suggesting.

What I'm saying is so were guys like Torres and Asham at the same stage of their careers. Even more-so than Callahan.

I just don't see his success in producing points translating to the NHL. Much like it didn't with them.

I like Mitch and he can be an effective 4th liner but I do feel people overrate him because they have a soft spot for him since he's one of our few "tough" prospects.

What I'm saying is so were guys like Torres and Asham at the same stage of their careers. Even more-so than Callahan.

I just don't see his success in producing points translating to the NHL. Much like it didn't with them.

Nobody's talking about his offense translating. I don't think it will either. Drew Miller doesn't produce points in the NHL either but that hardly means he's one dimensional. Like Miller (or Prust, or Maltby) Callahan can skate, play special teams, and is defensively responsible. So he's already miles ahead of the bozos you seem intent on comparing him to. I'm also curious to know why you'd think he's similar at all. He's not used in any way like those guys are. The only thing similar is that they'll fight once in a while. Other than that Mitch Callahan is nothing like those guys. When a coach as good as Blashill is using you on the PP, PK, and giving you top six minutes, and leaving you on the ice at the end of games you're surely a better player than some fourth line agitator...regardless of how often you do or don't score.

Edited by kipwinger

Nobody's talking about his offense translating. I don't think it will either. Drew Miller doesn't produce points in the NHL either but that hardly means he's one dimensional. Like Miller (or Prust, or Maltby) Callahan can skate, play special teams, and is defensively responsible. So he's already miles ahead of the bozos you seem intent on comparing him to. I'm also curious to know why you'd think he's similar at all. He's not used in any way like those guys are. The only thing similar is that they'll fight once in a while. Other than that Mitch Callahan is nothing like those guys. When a coach as good as Blashill is using you on the PP, PK, and giving you top six minutes, and leaving you on the ice at the end of games you're surely a better player than some fourth line agitator...regardless of how often you do or don't score.

Actually he's used EXACTLY like those guys were used in the AHL. An aggressive forward who can shift up and down your lineup and play in any situation....in the AHL.

Those "bozos" did all that at the AHL level as well AND put up better numbers than Callahan AND were used on the PP and PK.

Which is why they're an ok comparable at that stage in their career.

I think you might be underestimating the skill level of Torres, Tootoo and Asham slightly. They put up much better totals in juniors than Callahan and had they stayed in the AHL they would probably been on the PP too. It is true that they have a limited role in the NHL but there is certainly more to it than the skill variable. When comparing Callahan to Maltby I was trying to convey his "weight class". I know you dont care much about that stuff but that was my intention.

I think you might be underestimating the skill level of Torres, Tootoo and Asham slightly. They put up much better totals in juniors than Callahan and had they stayed in the AHL they would probably been on the PP too. It is true that they have a limited role in the NHL but there is certainly more to it than the skill variable. When comparing Callahan to Maltby I was trying to convey his "weight class". I know you dont care much about that stuff but that was my intention.

First of all, none of them put up "much better" totals than Callahan in the AHL. Callahan's career high 44 pts. is better than anything Asham or Tootoo ever did in the AHL and is only 2 pts. shy of Torres' AHL highs. So who gives a damn about juniors?

But, as I've tried to make clear already...who cares about their offense? Nobody is expecting these guys to produce offense in the NHL, they're fourth liners. However, unlike those other guys, Callahan is better defensively, has better mobility, and can play special teams. None of those other guys can say that. So in addition to having all their agitating qualities, offensive productivity (for what that's worth), and occasional fighting, he can also be relied upon to be on the ice without being a liability...kinda like...Prust or Maltby. Which was what I said to begin with.

Edited by kipwinger