• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Euro_Twins

2014 Preseason Thread

Rate this topic

Semin is not, and never was the answer. That guy who did the Wings AMA on reddit (take it for what it's worth) indicated that the Wings were interested in signing a certain Russian winger a few years back (some say it could have been Radulov, but it was most likley Semin) and when they asked Datsyuk if he would babysit/workwithhim, Pavel gave a big fat NO.

Even if that's all made up I still don't want him. Semin would last exactly one season, if that, with Babcock. Franzen actually plays defense, despite what his detractors here will tell you.

Edited by number9

I wanted Semin a few years back when he got a one-year deal. That condition was low risk, high reward. Seven million committed for one season is more appealing than long-term for a player with questions about his work ethic.

The Wings desperately need a top-six winger that scores goals, though. Have since Hossa left.

I wanted Semin a few years back when he got a one-year deal. That condition was low risk, high reward. Seven million committed for one season is more appealing than long-term for a player with questions about his work ethic.

The Wings desperately need a top-six winger that scores goals, though. Have since Hossa left.

We won the year before without Hossa. Hossa was an unlikely bonus that did not translate into a cup.

No, we have Franzen, didn't you pay attention to what he said?

We won the year before without Hossa. Hossa was an unlikely bonus that did not translate into a cup.

I don't see what that has to do with my point. That 2008 team was stacked and put on a clinic in puck possession every night. Hossa scored 40+ for the Red Wings in 2009 and they have struggled to find even a 30 goal scorer since then. It didn't translate into a cup because the Wings were ravaged by injury during the playoffs (including Hossa). Regardless, this team has lacked a goal-scoring winger for over five years. Semin fits that description, but depends on how you feel about the baggage involved. Edited by GoWings1905

No, we have Franzen, didn't you pay attention to what he said?

Haha, no I caught it. One goal in 23 games to close a season plus a no-show in the playoffs four years running just doesn't meet my standards for a goal-scoring winger. Maybe in a complimentary sense, but the Wings clearly can't rely on Franzen for consistency.

I don't see what that has to do with my point. That 2008 team was stacked and put on a clinic in puck possession every night. Hossa scored 40+ for the Red Wings in 2009 and they have struggled to find even a 30 goal scorer since then. It didn't translate into a cup because the Wings were ravaged by injury during the playoffs (including Hossa). Regardless, this team has lacked a goal-scoring winger for over five years. Semin fits that description, but depends on how you feel about the baggage involved.

The point was the team won without Hossa in 2008. But now suddenly we need him (or his viable replacement) now?

Not sure how that doesn't apply to your point

Edited by number9

I don't see what that has to do with my point. That 2008 team was stacked and put on a clinic in puck possession every night. Hossa scored 40+ for the Red Wings in 2009 and they have struggled to find even a 30 goal scorer since then. It didn't translate into a cup because the Wings were ravaged by injury during the playoffs (including Hossa). Regardless, this team has lacked a goal-scoring winger for over five years. Semin fits that description, but depends on how you feel about the baggage involved.

The point was the team won without Hossa in 2008. But now suddenly we need him (or his viable replacement) now?

Not sure how that doesn't apply to your point

I think both of you can be right on this. It's not unreasonable to suggest that we probably need a top line winger who can score better than Justin Abdelkader. However, having a 40 goal Hossa-in-his-prime type of player is a luxury and not a necessity.

I'd be thrilled with a 20-25 goal guy occupying that spot if he was doing everything else right.

I think both of you can be right on this. It's not unreasonable to suggest that we probably need a top line winger who can score better than Justin Abdelkader. However, having a 40 goal Hossa-in-his-prime type of player is a luxury and not a necessity.

I'd be thrilled with a 20-25 goal guy occupying that spot if he was doing everything else right.

Right. I'd love another Hossa, and I'd do back flips if we got one. But I don't think we neeeeeed one. We can easily make up for that in depth instead of being so top heavy.

Right. I'd love another Hossa, and I'd do back flips if we got one. But I don't think we neeeeeed one. We can easily make up for that in depth instead of being so top heavy.

Yeah, it'll help that we've got top six talent (Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan) on good contracts and occupying the third line. That's huge for depth. I'd be absolutely thrilled if we had that depth plus somebody to occupy that top line wing who can score 20 and play big minutes (Alfie could score 20 but couldn't handle the top line minutes). Maybe Helm will be that...but I'm not sold on it yet.

Edited by kipwinger

Our Marian Hossa is coming soon... Tomas Jurco - Fellow Slovakian, will be the same build (6'2", 210lbs.) in a couple years, and in about 5 years will be putting up 35-40 goal, 80 point seasons... Book it! ;)

I sure hope so. I think 25-30 is a little more realistic given he won't have a quality center and will be required to play defense. But you never know.

I sure hope so. I think 25-30 is a little more realistic given he won't have a quality center and will be required to play defense. But you never know.

I think your prediction is probably more likely Kip, but it all depends on who he's got around him for support. Should be fun to watch!

Happy to see Jordin Tootoo got invited to the Devils camp. Despite never really fitting in here, he played the good soldier and never complained about his plight. He's a class act all the way and I hope he catches on in New Jersey.

Happy to see Jordin Tootoo got invited to the Devils camp. Despite never really fitting in here, he played the good soldier and never complained about his plight. He's a class act all the way and I hope he catches on in New Jersey.

I like it a lot he did never fit here but the guy brings some energy best of luck with the Devils.

In just one article, Khan can make you feel like you've been smacked upside the head.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/09/daniel_alfredsson_might_not_be.html

-Alfie may not make the first day of camp.

-DD is feeling "anxious" about getting a deal done.

-Aaron Rome is getting a camp invite.

-Helm has a tender groin, and is being cautious.

...come on.

Here come about 12 "I told you so('s)" on Alfie and Helm... Wait for it, waaaait for it...

Why would Aaron Rome get a tryout? I get the whole competition thing but c'mon, this guy isn't going to provide any competition, even for a career #6/7/AHL guy Lashoff...

Here come about 12 "I told you so('s)" on Alfie and Helm... Wait for it, waaaait for it...

Why would Aaron Rome get a tryout? I get the whole competition thing but c'mon, this guy isn't going to provide any competition, even for a career #6/7/AHL guy Lashoff...

One theory thrown out by Malik, which I guess can understand, is that exhibition games can get a bit chippy. Makes sense to have someone watching over the kids during pre-season games. I highly doubt you'll see Rome actually get a deal - if they wanted someone permanent, they'd likely sign Evans to an AHL deal.