No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Detroit offers D Raphael Diaz tryout

Rate this topic

Red Wings offer defenseman Diaz tryout: report

Sunday, 09.07.2014 / 10:26 AM / NHL Free Agency 2014
NHL.com

The Detroit Red Wings have offered defenseman Raphael Diaz a tryout at their training camp, according to MLive.com. However, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told Ansar Khan that Diaz has some options and has not decided if he will accept it.

Diaz, 28, is a right-handed shot the Red Wings need. In 63 games last season for the Montreal Canadiens, Vancouver Canucks and New York Rangers, the Swiss defenseman had two goals and 15 points with a minus-2 rating. He also played four games for Switzerland at the 2014 Sochi Olympics and in four Stanley Cup Playoff games with the Rangers before becoming an unrestricted free agent.

Diaz has six goals, 45 points and a minus-5 rating in 145 NHL games.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Only if he's taking Kindl's spot. Otherwise we have enough dman kids on the way.

Even if he doesn't take Kindl's spot (I really doubt he will), offer him to a two-way contract he looks like he can still play and when an injury happens you can call him up. No way all 6 D-men play all 82 games.

If he doesn't keep it up in the AHL, you can always leave him there and bring up one of the kids. win-win.

My point was that I wish Holland would make some more of these low risk, high reward signings (not necessarily this particular one) later in free agency, rather than striking out on the big fish and then rushing to sign average players to above average contracts.

Like kliq mentioned, the Leafs waited until the exact same day last year, September 23rd, to sign Mason Raymond to a one year, one million dollar contract and that turned out to possibly be the steal of the offseason last year. I'm aware that these contracts don't always pan out like teams would like but the point is, they're low risk but they have potential to be high reward. I don't think there is much of a chance that Setoguchi cashes in next year, simply because of the team he signed with, but on the right team, I do think he can still chip in offensively. Just my opinion...

Maybe Holland read your post in the Offseason thread lol.

I said this in another thread, but if you look at their numbers, Diaz and Anton Stralman are basically the same player. The biggest differences seem to be that the Rangers went to the Cup finals so Stralman immediately gets a bump, and Diaz was mismanaged by the Canadiens so his icetime is a little lower. Either way, provided he isn't rusty I'd sign him and dump Kindl or Lashoff. Why not?

I said this in another thread, but if you look at their numbers, Diaz and Anton Stralman are basically the same player. The biggest differences seem to be that the Rangers went to the Cup finals so Stralman immediately gets a bump, and Diaz was mismanaged by the Canadiens so his icetime is a little lower. Either way, provided he isn't rusty I'd sign him and dump Kindl or Lashoff. Why not?

Only hard part would be dumping Kindl, but to me the guy seems like a smaller right handed version of Kindl. The smaller isn't a problem since Kindl plays like he's 5'4" anyways.

Only hard part would be dumping Kindl, but to me the guy seems like a smaller right handed version of Kindl. The smaller isn't a problem since Kindl plays like he's 5'4" anyways.

I"m not sure that's a fair comparison. But dumping Kindl wouldn't be hard...waiving him isn't a problem. Trading him would be hard, you'd have to package him with something much more valuable cap wise.

Which gets me speculating...any chance this Diaz thing is the precursor to some future trade? Seems unlikely given Hollands debilitating fear of trading away homegrown players. But never say never.

If they can't find a taker for Kindl, make him the #7 and waive Lashoff.

Why not waive Kindl? It would give you about 1.3 million in cap savings as opposed to Lashoff's 900k.

I"m not sure that's a fair comparison. But dumping Kindl wouldn't be hard...waiving him isn't a problem. Trading him would be hard, you'd have to package him with something much more valuable cap wise.

Which gets me speculating...any chance this Diaz thing is the precursor to some future trade? Seems unlikely given Hollands debilitating fear of trading away homegrown players. But never say never.

If they can't find a taker for Kindl, make him the #7 and waive Lashoff.

Why not waive Kindl? It would give you about 1.3 million in cap savings as opposed to Lashoff's 900k.

Sending a player to the minors can save a max of $925k.

? They were both on the Rangers team that went to the finals. Diaz played himself into being a healthy scratch for all but 4 games in the playoffs.

Sending a player to the minors can save a max of $925k.

Yep, you're correct. Got my wires crossed there.

? They were both on the Rangers team that went to the finals. Diaz played himself into being a healthy scratch for all but 4 games in the playoffs.

Yep, you're correct. Didn't do my homework.

Yeesh...this topic isn't doing me any favors today. I guess this is the cosmos telling me to shut up about Raphael Diaz. And I'm taking it's advice.

I'm skeptical because if Diaz was anything truly worthwhile he wouldn't be taking tryout offers in September. I'm fine with at least giving him a shot to maybe overtake either Kindl or Lashoff for that 6th/7th d-man spot.

I would just rather run with Marchenko or Ouellet than any of the above, but overripe and the kids need more time will prevail as usual.

I'm skeptical because if Diaz was anything truly worthwhile he wouldn't be taking tryout offers in September.

Eh, not necessarily. Cleary, for example, originally came to the Wings on a tryout basis.

I like Diaz. I think he'd be good for our third pairing and capable of filling in as our #4 in a pinch. He wouldn't singlehandedly fix our blue line, but, at the very least, I'd take him over Lashoff and Kindl. Maybe even Quincey.

Eh, not necessarily. Cleary, for example, originally came to the Wings on a tryout basis.

I like Diaz. I think he'd be good for our third pairing and capable of filling in as our #4 in a pinch. He wouldn't singlehandedly fix our blue line, but, at the very least, I'd take him over Lashoff and Kindl. Maybe even Quincey.

Mason Raymond did the same thing last year with the Leafs.

So this should end the debate, yes?

Raphael #Diaz accepts the invitation for tryout of the #CalgaryFlames, joins Bob #Hartley and Sven #Baertschi in Camp.

HAH. We can't even convince players to come on a tryout. We must be the most undesirable team in the league.