• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Detroit offers D Raphael Diaz tryout

Rate this topic

So this should end the debate, yes?

Raphael #Diaz accepts the invitation for tryout of the #CalgaryFlames, joins Bob #Hartley and Sven #Baertschi in Camp.

I think that has more to do with the fact he will have way more opportunities and a lot better chance of making an NHL roster.

I think that has more to do with the fact he will have way more opportunities and a lot better chance of making an NHL roster.

Absolutely. It's about getting a job. Plain and simple.

I would think that would be clear as day...but judging by the comments above, I'm obviously mistaken.

I don't know that Calgary's defense is in much different of a position than the Wings right now. The Flames defense certainly isn't great, but they have seven d-men already, so Diaz is basically just trying to make the roster over bottom pairing guys like he would have done in Detroit too.

There is plenty of opportunity to make an NHL roster on defense for the Red Wings at the moment -- especially since it seems the front office is reluctant to play any of the prospects this season. I don't think you look at Jakub Kindl and Brian Lashoff as some huge deterrent to getting a job.

I HATE when people get on with this sh!t about how no player wants to play for the Red Wings anymore. We're the most undesirable team in the league? Really?

Note: This is not entirely about Diaz specifically but Free Agents in general, and the constant b!tching and moaning on here...

People are quick to point out and always remember the players that don't come here for whatever reason, but quickly forget about the players that choose to come here. There are 29 other teams in the league that want to sign players. We're not going to land every big name free agent, and it's insane to think otherwise.

Diaz seen two things in Calgary, a fellow Swiss native (Bartschi) and a much better chance in cracking the Flames lineup. He will more than likely make the Flames roster and had very little chance in my opinion (and more than likely his as well) to make the Red Wings roster.

How about some players that have chose the Red Wings in the past few years; Alfredsson, Weiss, DeKeyser, Nosek, etc. A lot of teams were trying hard to sign all 4 of those players but they chose to sign with the terrible Red Wings organization over every other team...

No, of course we're not the same team we were 10 years ago (that every single player in the league wanted to play for), and for good reason. Whether people want to see it or not, we are currently going through a rebuild and we have been for the past couple years, ever since Lidstrom retired. We are a team on the rise again, and in another short couple years we will be annual Cup contenders once again. That along with the new arena and district, players will be lining up to sign with the Red Wings once again.

I HATE when people get on with this s*** about how no player wants to play for the Red Wings anymore. We're the most undesirable team in the league? Really?

Note: This is not entirely about Diaz specifically but Free Agents in general, and the constant b!tching and moaning on here...

People are quick to point out and always remember the players that don't come here for whatever reason, but quickly forget about the players that choose to come here. There are 29 other teams in the league that want to sign players. We're not going to land every big name free agent, and it's insane to think otherwise.

Diaz seen two things in Calgary, a fellow Swiss native (Bartschi) and a much better chance in cracking the Flames lineup. He will more than likely make the Flames roster and had very little chance in my opinion (and more than likely his as well) to make the Red Wings roster.

How about some players that have chose the Red Wings in the past few years; Alfredsson, Weiss, DeKeyser, Nosek, etc. A lot of teams were trying hard to sign all 4 of those players but they chose to sign with the terrible Red Wings organization over every other team...

No, of course we're not the same team we were 10 years ago (that every single player in the league wanted to play for), and for good reason. Whether people want to see it or not, we are currently going through a rebuild and we have been for the past couple years, ever since Lidstrom retired. We are a team on the rise again, and in another short couple years we will be annual Cup contenders once again. That along with the new arena and district, players will be lining up to sign with the Red Wings once again.

I'll give you Alfredsson and Weiss but it's not like there was a huge bidding war for them. As far as I remember, for both those players, only us and one other team were even interested. DeKeyser is a hometown boy so no points on that on and I'm too unfamiliar with Nosek to even comment on him.

All I know is that it feels like for the last 5 years or so, players are always taking another team over us. I mean, do you simply refuse to acknowledge the fact we struck out on every single player we went after this season (and there were a LOT of them)?

I'll give you Alfredsson and Weiss but it's not like there was a huge bidding war for them. As far as I remember, for both those players, only us and one other team were even interested. DeKeyser is a hometown boy so no points on that on and I'm too unfamiliar with Nosek to even comment on him.

All I know is that it feels like for the last 5 years or so, players are always taking another team over us. I mean, do you simply refuse to acknowledge the fact we struck out on every single player we went after this season (and there were a LOT of them)?

You put no stock in dd coming because he grew up in Michigan yet you talk about free agents we missed out on who all went to their hometown or to play with friends? It's either one or the other, you either put stock in hometown guys coming over or you don't, if you don't then you have to discredit everyone we missed out on pretty much.

All on defense too, which is a huge weakness. Yeah, the Wings have quality d-men prospects lingering but they need to be incorporating them quicker or actually hit on signing free agent d-men. Or get creative and use the abundance of prospects to obtain defense help in a trade. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are aging superstars. As much as I like our prospect pool, it's a stretch (or at least unknown) if any turn out to be as good or even comparable to the twins. Either rebuild entirely or go all-in to compete while there is still a window with Pav and Z. Stuck in mediocrity with no sense of direction isn't the place to be. Edited by GoWings1905

I may be remembering incorrectly but I think there were several teams interested in Alfredsson, and several more that were interested in Weiss.

As for this year, there were what, five players that the Wings targeted that weren't signed, and the Wings are one team in a league of 30. The odds are NEVER going to be in our favor to sign any particular player, especially when said player is besties with the coach in Washington, and that other player wants to be with his family in Minnesota, etc etc.

side note: Funny that this article was posted on mlive this morning, because it mentions goaltender prospect Jared Coreau picked the Wings over seven other teams back when he was a free agent. He did this knowing he would be just one goalie in an organization that already includes Howard, Gustavson, Mrazek, McCollum, and Peterson. But he picked the Wings because of the system's ability to develop players properly. So there you go. http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/09/red_wings_prospects_jared_core.html

Edited by Echolalia

All on defense too, which is a huge weakness. Yeah, the Wings have quality d-men prospects lingering but they need to be incorporating them quicker or actually hit on signing free agent d-men. Or get creative and use the abundance of prospects to obtain defense help in a trade. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are aging superstars. As much as I like our prospect pool, it's a stretch (or at least unknown) if any turn out to be as good or even comparable to the twins. Either rebuild entirely or go all-in to compete while there is still a window with Pav and Z. Stuck in mediocrity with no sense of direction isn't the place to be.

Incorporate them quicker? How many rookies could we afford to have in the line-up last season?

You don't rush goalies and you don't rush defensemen. Quincey's a stopgap. He may not have not been the best guy on the market but at least he stays healthy, can log minutes and isn't signed for 7 years.

*Washes hands and mouth with soap after speaking well of Quincey.

Incorporate them quicker? How many rookies could we afford to have in the line-up last season?

You don't rush goalies and you don't rush defensemen. Quincey's a stopgap. He may not have not been the best guy on the market but at least he stays healthy, can log minutes and isn't signed for 7 years.

*Washes hands and mouth with soap after speaking well of Quincey.

I'm speaking specifically about this season on defense. However, the only reason the forwards even got a shot was due to injuries. I don't care about losing out on Diaz if it means Marchenko or Ouellet gets the spot instead. If the Wings are just going to roll with Kindl and Lashoff again, then I don't really know what the plan is on defense. It's not really necessarily rushing anyone -- Ouellet or Marchenko could easily hold their own already on the third pairing.

I'm speaking specifically about this season on defense. However, the only reason the forwards even got a shot was due to injuries. I don't care about losing out on Diaz if it means Marchenko or Ouellet gets the spot instead. If the Wings are just going to roll with Kindl and Lashoff again, then I don't really know what the plan is on defense. It's not really necessarily rushing anyone -- Ouellet or Marchenko could easily hold their own already on the third pairing.

Then how can they "be incorporated quicker" if this season hasn't even started yet.

The defence will get worked in this year. If they don't at all, then I'll probably upset as well.

It just seems a lot of people are jumping the gun on things that haven't even happened yet...

Then how can they "be incorporated quicker" if this season hasn't even started yet.

The defence will get worked in this year. If they don't at all, then I'll probably upset as well.

It just seems a lot of people are jumping the gun on things that haven't even happened yet...

I'm just gonna assume given the Wings recent history none of them make the team. If they do over Kindl and Lashoff, I will give them credit. Edited by GoWings1905

I don't really care about whether we got Diaz or not. I saw no harm in offering him a tryout, but it's not some big loss. I also don't think it's some indication that players don't want to play for the Wings. That said, I think it's a bit simplistic to think this decision was entirely about opportunity. Our defense isn't that good. Spots are ripe for the taking. And even if it's mildly harder to make our team, it seems like it would be worth the effort considering how much better we are than Calgary.

So all that said, I don't know why he picked Calgary. But I'm not convinced that this was some rejection of our franchise, any more than I'm convinced that it's just that much more difficult to make our team. Both cases seem implausible.

I'm just gonna assume given the Wings recent history none of them make the team. If they do over Kindl and Lashoff, I will give them credit.

I don't expect any of them to make the team out of camp either. They will give both Kindl and Lashoff an opportunity to be in the top 6 throughout the first 10-20 games.

That's the Red Wing way and I fully expect that. The only way that changes is if someone truly surpasses expectations and blows them out of the water or severely underperforms.

They've made large personal and financial commitments to their roster players and they're going to give them more than a fair shot.

If they blow it, then fine. But they'll get their fair shot.

I may be remembering incorrectly but I think there were several teams interested in Alfredsson, and several more that were interested in Weiss.

As for this year, there were what, five players that the Wings targeted that weren't signed, and the Wings are one team in a league of 30. The odds are NEVER going to be in our favor to sign any particular player, especially when said player is besties with the coach in Washington, and that other player wants to be with his family in Minnesota, etc etc.

side note: Funny that this article was posted on mlive this morning, because it mentions goaltender prospect Jared Coreau picked the Wings over seven other teams back when he was a free agent. He did this knowing he would be just one goalie in an organization that already includes Howard, Gustavson, Mrazek, McCollum, and Peterson. But he picked the Wings because of the system's ability to develop players properly. So there you go. http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/09/red_wings_prospects_jared_core.html

I believe (if my memory serves me correctly) that he had the choice of Detroit and Boston.

EDIT: This seems to suggest the Bruins were at least interested, but Alfie chose the Wings

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/07/03/bruins-reach-out-to-alfie

I don't expect any of them to make the team out of camp either. They will give both Kindl and Lashoff an opportunity to be in the top 6 throughout the first 10-20 games.

That's the Red Wing way and I fully expect that. The only way that changes is if someone truly surpasses expectations and blows them out of the water or severely underperforms.

They've made large personal and financial commitments to their roster players and they're going to give them more than a fair shot.

Agreed. And I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them gone and a kid called up by December.

Edited by wings4thecup06

Cleary was a former high draft pick who almost washed out because he was immature. Diaz is getting tryout offers because he has questionable ability. Apples and oranges.

I get what you're saying, but it's hardly apples and oranges. No one wanted Cleary, we took him on, it worked out. No one wants Diaz, we're giving him a shot, it might work out. Same fundamental situation - a player has washed out and needs a reboot. Diaz doesn't have Cleary's pedigree, but his numbers say he's underrated and underappreciated, with the potential to be a good 4D in this league.

I know what you are saying, but wasn't last season a fair enough shot? I'm lumping Kindl, Lashoff, Cleary mostly into this category. How much more do we need to see of Jakub Kindl before we officially call him a bust and just go with the upside in Marchenko or Ouellet instead? These guys have had years now to show something and Kindl/Lashoff was a nightmare third pairing a season ago. Eventually the Wings are gonna have to try something else on defense, especially since they keep missing on impact free agent d-men. I don't think Kindl or Lashoff are drastically going to improve while wasting a 1/4 of the season on them, like the Wings did with Nyquist in Grand Rapids.

local newspaper here in Zug says Diaz figures its his best shot to get on the roster full-time. In addition, there is already Hiller and Bärtschi, who play with him on the national team and Bob Hartley, the Calgary Coach used to coach rival Zug team Zurich.

I am bummed he didn't try out with the Wings but i get the reasoning. Personally, I hope it works out for him

Edited by Spongewingredpants