• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Ottawa Senators are trying "European style" supporter sections

Rate this topic

Ottawa Senators hire, now former Leafs defense coach, DJ Smith as head coach.

And Leafs fans are rejoicing because defense was consistently their biggest weakness during this guys tenure. Many I guess even wanted him fired. Melynk doing dumb Melynk stuff and hiring him as HC is just the cherry on top.

At least I guess Smith was well liked by Leafs players

Hey there. As active hockey european fan, I like that idea. Some points.. 

- when it´s organized by club, it sucks. Real proper atmosphere is there, when it´s fully managed by fans. No given balloons, clap hands or s*** like this. 

- I mean, they are also paying for it, it´s not for free, not paid by club. Actually, these choreos, flags, etc., this stuff is not very cheap and takes time and lot of effort to manage. Usually, these people organizing these things spent most of their free time with preparations etc., it´s nearly full-time hobby

- which means, you need fans core, who will be maintaining these thing and these people, you won´t summon them by waving magic stick, in traditional clubs, this is nearly religious role. 

- in big arenas, even the best fans are not able to make proper atmosphere. Yes, you will find many highlight videos from Sweden, Switzerland etc., but if you will go there, you will find many games basically ´silent´

- which means - these big arenas with sofas, jumbotrons etc., this is killing atmosphere, because you need enormous effort to get on this level there. You will find, that the best atmosphere is on old fashioned stadions for couple thousand people. It´s very simple, sound conditions are way better. For example, stadium for 4-5k people need like 1000 active supporters to have some real level. You know, I can remember, last year I was to Milano, italian football fans are considered to be one of the best in Europe. Stadium was full, 60k fans. Most of them very loudy and active. But I was not able to hear them from the other side. 

- it brings many issues. As mentioned, real atmosphere should be out of club control. Which brings many issues - lot of drunk agressive retards, very vulgar chants etc. But that´s the price. 

Anyway, hools culture is in Europe mostly connected to football, not hockey. 

Modern hockey is spreading aroung the Europe, I don´t like it. I want to go to hockey match, have a beer, stand there in cold air, take some booze, go for a sausage. Have a good times with friends, chant as loud as it´s possible, see away sector crying. No stupid cheerleaders, mascots in retarded suits, no advices what can  and what I can´t do from some green-suited iq60 simpleton. 

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Did he molest a shuttle bus driver, or did he try to bring respect back to the franchise? I could believe either.

Statement from Little:

o0tk908g0qk41.jpg

Eugene can't handle a few swears

Ironic, considering his ownership has been been one big F U to the fans of Ottawa.

ESctLfeWoAU0k5O.png:large

So basically the new CEO audited the entire organization and whatdaya know everything that was wrong stemmed back to Melnyk, and Eugene didn't like that hard truth.

Friedman is right. What executive is gonna wanna go there and be CEO if this is how ownership runs things and you can't do your job? Furthermore that's going to trickle down through the entire organization.

What a joke of a franchise. Just sell them or move them already.

So with Melynk's death his wife and two daughters have ownership. The Sens still have a 1 billion dollar lawsuit against them that gets settled in September/October. Obviously the Melnyk gals are looking to sell the team. But probably the deal doesn't get done till after the lawsuit.

It will be interesting to see the actions of the team this offseason. I can't see Melynk's family wanting the team to spend any money. And Eugene was already a known cheap ass with his team.

Reportedly their are 4 groups interested in buying the team, with one of them being headed by a former NHL player. I wonder if it's Alfredsson.

One of my favorite things about hockey media right now is watching people pulling a complete 180 degree turn on Melnyk after his death. The snarky little dweebs that dominate hockey media have done nothing but s*** on Melnyk and the Sens for about the last 5 or 6 years. I can recall him being accused of being cheap, bad for the league, ruining player's careers, etc. etc. etc.

Now suddenly all those same people are offering their "condolences". Must be nice to be in an industry where you can be an unbearable c*ck one day, and do an about face the next, without even a hint of irony.

TLDR: I hate modern hockey media.

13 hours ago, bIueadams said:

So with Melynk's death his wife and two daughters have ownership. The Sens still have a 1 billion dollar lawsuit against them that gets settled in September/October. Obviously the Melnyk gals are looking to sell the team. But probably the deal doesn't get done till after the lawsuit.

It will be interesting to see the actions of the team this offseason. I can't see Melynk's family wanting the team to spend any money. And Eugene was already a known cheap ass with his team.

Reportedly their are 4 groups interested in buying the team, with one of them being headed by a former NHL player. I wonder if it's Alfredsson.

Buy and move

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

One of my favorite things about hockey media right now is watching people pulling a complete 180 degree turn on Melnyk after his death. The snarky little dweebs that dominate hockey media have done nothing but s*** on Melnyk and the Sens for about the last 5 or 6 years. I can recall him being accused of being cheap, bad for the league, ruining player's careers, etc. etc. etc.

Now suddenly all those same people are offering their "condolences". Must be nice to be in an industry where you can be an unbearable c*ck one day, and do an about face the next, without even a hint of irony.

Is this guy for real? What do you expect them to write?

Yah they probly shoulda written an article the day after Melnyk passed about how terrible he was at his job how terrible he was for the league and how good it is that hes finally gone.

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I had this exact same convo with several people yesterday. I figure all Sens fans are pretty closet happy about it though.

4 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

Is this guy for real? What do you expect them to write?

Yah they probly shoulda written an article the day after Melnyk passed about how terrible he was at his job how terrible he was for the league and how good it is that hes finally gone.

All I’m saying is, if you’re gonna spend years sh*tting all over a guy maybe find someone else to write his obituary?

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

All I’m saying is, if you’re gonna spend years sh*tting all over a guy maybe find someone else to write his obituary?

Same fans that were wishing him ill during his liver transplant are wishing condolences now. 

I get it, no one is gonna publicly say glad he's dead. But 99% of Sens fans are secretly glad he's dead. 

They're going to have a rough summer, but this is a bright time for Ottawas future. How long does Dorion last under new ownership? 1 day or 1 hour? 

5 hours ago, bIueadams said:

Same fans that were wishing him ill during his liver transplant are wishing condolences now. 

I get it, no one is gonna publicly say glad he's dead. But 99% of Sens fans are secretly glad he's dead. 

They're going to have a rough summer, but this is a bright time for Ottawas future. How long does Dorion last under new ownership? 1 day or 1 hour? 

Choosing Tkatchuk over Zadina might buy him a chance under new ownership. They got shat on hard at the time for that draft pick. 

Yeah, hard to say. By most accounts Ottawa had an absurd internal cap. AND they spent the least amount in the league on things like scouting, analytics, etc. So maybe Dorion did a decent job all things considered? I dunno. Plus, it's gonna take a while for Melnyk's heirs to find a buyer and sell the team. Maybe they stick with the guy they know until then? Or maybe they bring in someone new, try to win a bunch, and pump up the value of the team? Lots of questions surrounding this team right now.

Just when I thought Ottawa was turning it around lol

f0ckin hell man.

Smartest thing that the new owner of TBL  ever did was hire yzerman to come in and outfit his organization.

I'm confident the Sens have already f***ed up this new team, per ususal lol.

YOUR SPIRIT LIVES ON UGENE

On 3/31/2022 at 4:21 AM, marcaractac said:

Choosing Tkatchuk over Zadina might buy him a chance under new ownership. They got shat on hard at the time for that draft pick. 

On 3/31/2022 at 6:48 AM, kipwinger said:

Yeah, hard to say. By most accounts Ottawa had an absurd internal cap. AND they spent the least amount in the league on things like scouting, analytics, etc. So maybe Dorion did a decent job all things considered? I dunno. Plus, it's gonna take a while for Melnyk's heirs to find a buyer and sell the team. Maybe they stick with the guy they know until then? Or maybe they bring in someone new, try to win a bunch, and pump up the value of the team? Lots of questions surrounding this team right now.

Dorion is probably the GOAT GM, but didn't have my grace or charm, and no one will ever know now. 

Edited by bIueadams

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/a-letter-from-michael-andlauer

Andlauer era begins. It will be interesting to see what Ottawa can do with actual financial muscles. Dorion very well could be one of the most underrated GM's, he's done pretty okay for a GM always having an extreme internal cap and insane owner.

That said, I wish them all the worst.