• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Spongewingredpants

Ericsson and Alfredsson not 100%

Rate this topic

Why doesn't Alfie do what Sundin did a few years back on the Canucks. Let your body rest for a few more months, spend the next 4 months getting healthy and spending time with your family, then in January if you are feeling 100% sign a 1 year deal. by that time, i'm sure someone on our team will have an injury and be on LTIR which will give us a much better picture of what we can sign him to.

I would much rather do that and sign him at 100%, then sign him now only to have him day-to-day a few weeks into the season because he is not fully healed. Its a win-win, we have no cap issues moving forward, we easily sign DD, Jurco starts off in the NHL, and Alfie can rest up. Better for us as well come playoff time, Alfie will have enough time to shake off the rust, but wont have to play 82 games which is better for his body.

Worst case scenario, come January he still feels hurt, its probably better we didn't sign him anyways, At that point, he can retire a Senator.

The only thin im not sure of, is can you do that in the new CBA? As far as I know he doesnt have to pass through waivers since he's not coming from the KHL (ie. Nabokov). I'm not 100% sure of the rules with the new CBA.

WTF is wrong with some people? Do you actually try to find the negative in everything just so you have something to ***** about? Ericsson stated that he will be ready to go for the first game of the season and this Alfredsson situation has been well known for months now. He is 41 years old and it has been stated numerous times that management would be happy to have him back if he decides he is healthy, even if he can only play 60-65 games. But all of a sudden the sky is falling. I swear some of you lie awake at night, hoping and preying a Red Wing gets injured just so you can say "I told you so".... Pathetic...

WTF is wrong with some people? Do you actually try to find the negative in everything just so you have something to ***** about? Ericsson stated that he will be ready to go for the first game of the season and this Alfredsson situation has been well known for months now. He is 41 years old and it has been stated numerous times that management would be happy to have him back if he decides he is healthy, even if he can only play 60-65 games. But all of a sudden the sky is falling. I swear some of you lie awake at night, hoping and preying a Red Wing gets injured just so you can say "I told you so".... Pathetic...

Ericsson will be ready to go, but won't be 100%. You don't find that concerning? He said himself training this off season has been really tough and it's hard for him to even lift weights. This is our #2 defenseman! I'm sorry, but hearing he probably won't be in game shape counts as something to moan about.

Alfredsson should just retire. He emptied the tank last year in the Olympics. He was completely invisible after the break. I would rather see Mantha in his spot.

As much as like to see it Mantha probably won't be that guy...Jurco needs a spot still!

Edit: on the plus side with the kind of injury big rig has it's probably painless for the most part because it's still numb. He should be good to go!

Edited by 13dangledangle

Best just to stay out of these threads krsmith17. It's not worth it...

LOL. Starting a little early this year.

And some people actually thought we'd have a healthy roster. Welcome to reality folks.

It's even earlier than I thought so color me surprised at least people who thought the Wings would have a perfectly healthy roster now get a much needed dose of reality.

The second best defender on the not healthy and the soon best defender not signed yet good times, good times

As for Alfie I like the idea of signing him later if he is healthy if not he should sign a 1 day contract with the Senators and retire there.

Edited by frankgrimes

toby91_ca - Who is "pinning the hopes of the season" on whether or not Alfredsson is signed? I hope he plays, and I'm sure many other people do, including the Detroit Red Wings management, coaches and players, but I don't think anyone would suggest that Alfredsson is the going to make or break our season. If he can play 60-65 games for us and produce like he did last year, great, if not, someone else will get an opportunity.

frankgrimes - translation - "Told you so..."

The more I think about it, the more worried I'm getting... I mean, I'm not so sure that Ericsson will be able to skate the same with his middle finger only at 95%... C'mon people, quit reaching...

And there were a lot of people that were completely okay with Alfredsson not being offered another contract this season, but now that he may not be 100% healthy, the sky is falling...

The more I think about it, the more worried I'm getting... I mean, I'm not so sure that Ericsson will be able to skate the same with his middle finger only at 95%... C'mon people, quit reaching...

And there were a lot of people that were completely okay with Alfredsson not being offered another contract this season, but now that he may not be 100% healthy, the sky is falling...

I can see the concern, though. While his skating is going to be unaffected, gotta wonder about his outlet passes/shooting. According to the article, he's having a hard time benching weight. The guy uses his strength to muscle guys around on the PK. I think it's also an issue of him getting hurt again, considering the way his finger was injured. Apparently they couldn't even put all the shards of bone back together, because they were too small. It's just worrisome.

As far as Alfie goes, you know I've been pro-Alfie throughout the entire off-season. I'm cool with the idea of keeping him around, even if he plays 60-65 games. It kind of sucks that he's having setbacks going INTO the season, though. You want him to at least start out healthy.

The sky isn't falling, but I think there's some room for concern (more on D than anything).

Edited by Jesusberg

I see where you're coming from Jesusberg, but I don't see it being an issue whatsoever. His finger is healing, just not as fast as was originally thought because of how shattered the bone was. I think the only factor would be, which hand the broken finger is on. If it is on his right hand it could be a slight worry, however if it is his left hand it shouldn't effect his game at all. Still, until it causes him to miss games (which I highly doubt it will) I will remain optimistic.

I see where you're coming from Jesusberg, but I don't see it being an issue whatsoever. His finger is healing, just not as fast as was originally thought because of how shattered the bone was. I think the only factor would be, which hand the broken finger is on. If it is on his right hand it could be a slight worry, however if it is his left hand it shouldn't effect his game at all. Still, until it causes him to miss games (which I highly doubt it will) I will remain optimistic.

Just checked the video of the shot block and it's his left hand. No issues with handling the puck, but I wonder how much pressure he can put on it. I still think re-injury is a concern, but you have a point about which hand is hurt. Maybe last season just has me a bit paranoid :lol:

Finger, wrist injuries are worrysome remember the Crosby situation ? 4 days non stop news about surgery ?

Finger, wrist injuries are worrysome remember the Crosby situation ? 4 days non stop news about surgery ?

Crosby could stub his toe in the off-season while on vacation in Jamaica and it would be front page news on nhl.com lol

Edited by Euro_Twins

The kids smell blood, like sharks. Or maybe vultures. Or maybe vulture sharks. (Vulks? Shartures?)

Definitely Shartures, because it has the word shart in it which I feel always comes in handy during a Red Wings hockey season.

I don't really see this as news--am I the only one? So, Alfie has a bad back...we knew this...and *he's not currently signed to our team*. It's literally not our problem. If Kenny wants to sign him for $6 to play 29 games I don't give a s***.

Ericsson is a little more concerning, but will it honestly affect his play *that* much (granted I don't play, and have only used a hockey stick to assault my beloved cousin around the stomach and chest area when I was 11 so please do correct me if I'm wrong). It sounds to me that more than anything, Rig has the yips about the whole situation and is bummed he didn't progress further in the time he had.

Now...if we start getting visits from the demons known as Zetterberg's Bad Back and Datsyuk's Knee of Fruit, THEN I'll start panicking about injuries. Hello darkness my old friend...

It's even earlier than I thought so color me surprised at least people who thought the Wings would have a perfectly healthy roster now get a much needed dose of reality.

The second best defender on the not healthy and the soon best defender not signed yet good times, good times

As for Alfie I like the idea of signing him later if he is healthy if not he should sign a 1 day contract with the Senators and retire there.

Please find me one post where someone expects us to be perfectly healthy. Please. I've heard lots of "helthier than last year" and "injuries can't beas bad as they were" but I don't think even the most negative of us had expected the team to be perfectly healthy.

Just wait for the first in-game injury. This forum is going to be something.

Unless you're the type of guy who has maintained all along that the Red Wings struggles of late have less to do with injuries than everyone seems to think.

But what kind of man would that be? Where would we find him? Who does he work for?

Only time will tell.