• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Spongewingredpants

Ericsson and Alfredsson not 100%

Rate this topic

Just wait for the first in-game injury. This forum is going to be something.

This forum is going to be 'something' regardless of what happens.

If Mantha plays 40 games and has 15 goals it won't be:

"Awesome, this kid's the real deal and our future is secure. Way to go Holland and staff for drafting this guy!!!!"

It will be: " f*** you Kenny for signing Cleary and Quincey and letting Hossa go and not giving me a team as tough as Calgary and for not signing Niskanen"

Some dudes on here have spent too much time building their opinions and reputations and dealing in absolutes. Whatever happens this year, people are going to feel the need to spin it whatever way they need to in order to back up their zealousness.

Edited by rick zombo

This forum is going to be something regardless of what happens.

If Mantha plays 40 games and has 15 goals it won't be:

"Awesome, this kids the real deal and our future is secure. Way to go Holland and staff for drafting this guy!!!!"

It will be: " f*** you Kenny for signing Cleary and Quincey and letting Hossa go and not giving me a team as tough as Calgary and for not signing Niskanen"

Some dudes on here have spent to much time building their opinions and reputations and dealing in absolutes. Whatever happens this year, people are goin to feel the need to spin it whatever way they need to in order to back-up their zealousness.

Truth. IDK why my expectations were so high. I should know by now.

Even if we were to win the cup this year, immediately afterwards it would be "This core is aging quickly, I predict hard times coming, Holland has failed to prepare us, he can't even get rid of Kindl, and Franzen sucks Hossa rules."

Just funny how we don't see a thread here about how happy Datsyuk is and how he says his knee is strong and healthy, and how Z says his back is the best it's felt in a long time.

Instead, we're down to whining about Ericsson and his shattered finger. Quite frankly, I'm not surprised its taking this long to heal. After all, it was shattered......

To me this isn't really news. We knew that Alfie is questionable. It is news that he tweaked his back, but his status is still the same. Alfredsson would be great to have, but we've got Jurco/Pulkinen/Mantha fighting for that spot if he's not around so I think it's far from the end of the world if he hangs up the skates.

Ericsson says he's at camp on day one. That's great. He's not having another surgery and no new problems. It's a shattered finger that was reconstructed along with a metal plate for support - pain will be around for quite a while. It is worrisome that he couldn't train all out during the summer, but that should've been clear that would be the case.

Less talk about this forum and people whining. More talk about the actual topic please.

My apologies.

The problem is that there's nothing to discuss. The OP flavored the opening post with "and it begins".

Considering nothing about this thread is new news and only gives people a pseudo chance at "I told you so" it was a recipe for disaster from the get-go. Just my opinion.

My apologies.

The problem is that there's nothing to discuss. The OP flavored the opening post with "and it begins".

Considering nothing about this thread is new news and only gives people a pseudo chance at "I told you so" it was a recipe for disaster from the get-go. Just my opinion.

I don't live in Detroit so maybe I just didn't hear it, but Ericsson not being 100% for camp was news to me. Not surprising maybe given the extent of his injury, but I hadn't tracked his progress over the summer.

I also hadn't considered the full potential impact of the injury. That it could not only affect his stickwork but also his strength.

For those who don't like the topic or don't think it has value, simply don't post in it and the thread will fall off the main page.

I don't live in Detroit so maybe I just didn't hear it, but Ericsson not being 100% for camp was news to me. Not surprising maybe given the extent of his injury, but I hadn't tracked his progress over the summer.

I also hadn't considered the full potential impact of the injury. That it could not only affect his stickwork but also his strength.

Exactly I'm far from being a pro but even as an amateur finger, hand injuries do influence the way someone trains. The other fingers have to share more pressure and the grip well...sucks

Now imagine how Ericsson must feel for some time and yeah this has been news to me and it for sure will take some time till he feels confidant again. Which isn't good news if your defense is as bad as ours.

Exactly I'm far from being a pro but even as an amateur finger, hand injuries do influence the way someone trains. The other fingers have to share more pressure and the grip well...sucks Now imagine how Ericsson must feel for some time and yeah this has been news to me and it for sure will take some time till he feels confidant again. Which isn't good news if your defense is as bad as ours.

Oh this explains everything. You box or MMA?

Can't you read? He's an amateur *finger.* he points at stuff, and touches things, and picks noses. Just not professionally.

:lol:

BOS, I'm sure Frank and I both have a certain special finger we feel like showing you :w00t:

But in all seriousness, can we still get in on the Jeff Finger sweepstakes?

well I don't know about everyone else but im just exicted to get back to hockey and watch the guys play whoever starts the season im still a die hard never give up red wings fan if alfie isn't here and ericksson is out id be ok with seeing how the kids do im sure marchenko or Sproul are drooling at the chance to prove something

Alfie go out in style no need to put your body through this you've already 68 $ million in your bank account!

Sign a day contract in Ottawa and retire as a Senator don't just hang on for the sake of it like Brodeur and Jagr are doing it's just not worth it.

Jagr is still an incredible player. Wish the Wings signed him. Datsyuk and him would be magic, good luck getting the puck off those two.

Alfie go out in style no need to put your body through this you've already 68 $ million in your bank account!

Sign a day contract in Ottawa and retire as a Senator don't just hang on for the sake of it like Brodeur and Jagr are doing it's just not worth it.

He's most likely looking at something like 15 -30 million when all is said and done.

Jagr is still damn good. Alfie was still very good as well, when not dealing with his injuries.

Call me naive, but these guys love the game - they not going to "just hang on for the sake of it". They'll spend the rest of their lives wishing they could still play, so why not try to play as long as it's still possible and you think you can be effective?

He's most likely looking at something like 15 -30 million when all is said and done.

in salary? I'm not sure how the taxes shake out but he must have made quite a bit on endorsements etc. And players like him often get pretty solid jobs after retiring either in broadcasting or within an organization. I doubt money is even on his mind at this point its got to be cup vs. body.

in salary? I'm not sure how the taxes shake out but he must have made quite a bit on endorsements etc. And players like him often get pretty solid jobs after retiring either in broadcasting or within an organization. I doubt money is even on his mind at this point its got to be cup vs. body.

I believe in Ontario (since the majority of his career was played there) Alfie would be taxed 50%, plus there are union dues/escrow. I remember Kovalchuck said in an interview once that when you make 8million, you take home around 3.5.Though that will differ depending on what province/state you are playing in.

There is no way these people are really paying 50 % on taxes that would be insane. I mean the reason to have agents is to also get financial advise (how to invest your money, save taxes..) and I'm also quit sure guys like Kovalchuck, Alfie, Crosby ... do have their own tax lawyers making sure they are paying the absolute possible minimum which for sure is still a lot of money. Regardless this guy and his grandchildren are set for life.

I hope Alfie doesn't think Cup versus Body because let's be honest he won't win a cup here. I don't want him to risk further injury or heaven forbid a serious one.

There is no way these people are really paying 50 % on taxes that would be insane. I mean the reason to have agents is to also get financial advise (how to invest your money, save taxes..) and I'm also quit sure guys like Kovalchuck, Alfie, Crosby ... do have their own tax lawyers making sure they are paying the absolute possible minimum which for sure is still a lot of money. Regardless this guy and his grandchildren are set for life.

I hope Alfie doesn't think Cup versus Body because let's be honest he won't win a cup here. I don't want him to risk further injury or heaven forbid a serious one.

Canadian income tax rates for Individuals - current and previous years Federal tax rates for 2014
  • 15% on the first $43,953 of taxable income, +
  • 22% on the next $43,954 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $43,953 up to $87,907), +
  • 26% on the next $48,363 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $87,907 up to $136,270), +
  • 29% of taxable income over $136,270.

Provincial/territorial tax rates (combined chart)

11.16% on the next $69,758, +

12.16% on the next $70,000, +

13.16 % on the amount over $220,000

Plus, don't forget EI and CPP, I assume they pay that as well.

Anyone else thinking that if Alfie can't play til say December (or even retires) that it massively increases Jurco's chances of making the team?

One can only hope. I want to see that Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco line reunited. Nothing against Alfie -- I just don't like the lingering injury concerns associated with a 42 year old. I personally am kinda wishing he hangs them up. Especially since we are this close to training camp now and Alfie's back is still an issue.