• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

A Perfect fit for the Bruins...Ville Leino?

Rate this topic

He can still play as a third line scorer. At 1M or even 800K, what do they have to lose? Can he REALLY be worse than Cleary at 1.5?

Theres a big difference between playing on a PHI team as opposed to BUF, which has one of the worst teams in recent memory. On top of that, maybe the pressure of making too much money got to him.

I know personally, I play hockey better when im surrounded by good line mates.

Edited by WingsallTheway

He can still play as a third line scorer. At 1M or even 800K, what do they have to lose? Can he REALLY be worse than Cleary at 1.5?

Theres a big difference between playing on a PHI team as opposed to BUF, which has one of the worst teams in recent memory. On top of that, maybe the pressure of making too much money got to him.

I know personally, I play hockey better when im surrounded by good line mates.

Well apart from the fact that he's absolutely the antithesis of "Bruin Strong", he also hasn't scored a goal since 2012. He only had 12 assists and zero goals in 58 games last year. So yes, I'd say he's a worse option than Cleary if you want goals to be scored. A year ago Cleary had more goals than good knees. What's Leino's excuse?

Well apart from the fact that he's absolutely the antithesis of "Bruin Strong", he also hasn't scored a goal since 2012. He only had 12 assists and zero goals in 58 games last year. So yes, I'd say he's a worse option than Cleary if you want goals to be scored. A year ago Cleary had more goals than good knees. What's Leino's excuse?

Probably that he was a 3rd liner at best getting paid 5M dollars a season for 7 years. Hockey is a game of confidence, as soon as you start failing expectations, the game becomes harder and harder. Imagine if Cleary was expected to be the second best scorer on our team. Both players play a different style, but Ville has a chance of being able to put up some more points with a good supporting cast.

Take a look at BUF's roster last year:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BUF/2013.html

That team has literally NO supporting cast and all his linemates are small. He clearly needs someone on his line to give him space to work.

Regarding your point about his playing style in Boston, I agree 100% that hes soft as butter.

Edited by WingsallTheway

Whatever the reason, the guy's a bust. He's 30 years old and has had exactly one strong season in his career, which was (by every indication) the exception to the rule. He's undisciplined, lazy, and consistently underwhelming. There's also no reason to think he'd score MORE on a team that would require him to play a 200 ft. game, as Boston would. He scored well that one season in Philly because he was on an all offense team, with good linemates. That ain't Boston's game.

This is a guy who has ALL of the worst traits of Franzen, Hudler, and Filppula and none of the good ones. He and his former teammate Linus Omark are destined to have the same exact careers. This will end predictably.

I get the concept of a low risk/high reward move. I do. So I'm not blaming Boston here. But this is a low risk/low reward. So why bother? Maybe they just needed one more live body for training camp. Who knows?

What the hell is wrong with a Chiarelli? First trading Seguin, now not re-signing Thornton and now Leino? The guy is the exact up opposite of a Bruin! Yeah they can send him down but I'll highly doubt he makes the team out of pto

If he's smart he tries to replace Thornton but I guess he is confident with a softer Bruins team but only till the leafs are coming to town. Save for Chara nobody can take on Orr or Mclaren not even Lucic I expect some cheap shots against Bergeron, Krug and Krejci.

This may very well be the softest Bruins edition since years I would be pissed if I were a Bruins fan

What the hell is wrong with a Chiarelli? First trading Seguin, now not re-signing Thornton and now Leino? The guy is the exact up opposite of a Bruin! Yeah they can send him down but I'll highly doubt he makes the team out of pto If he's smart he tries to replace Thornton but I guess he is confident with a softer Bruins team but only till the leafs are coming to town. Save for Chara nobody can take on Orr or Mclaren not even Lucic I expect some cheap shots against Bergeron, Krug and Krejci. This may very well be the softest Bruins edition since years I would be pissed if I were a Bruins fan

Frank, you can't possibly think that Chiarelli should make personnel moves based on the fear of a non playoff team "coming to town". Even without Thornton the Bruins are miles tougher than every other team in the league. I think they'll be ok during the next brawl filled circus that they seem to have once or twice a season.

Frank, you can't possibly think that Chiarelli should make personnel moves based on the fear of a non playoff team "coming to town". Even without Thornton the Bruins are miles tougher than every other team in the league. I think they'll be ok during the next brawl filled circus that they seem to have once or twice a season.

The Bruins are still tough but compared to what they've been they are softer then in the previous years. Lucic - who is a real beast - has been told to fight less by Julien, same goes for Chara. McQuaid is also tough but only in his own weight class, Thornton brought physicality, energy, size and toughness. Watch out for Marchand now cleaning up his game.

I mean, if you let Thornton go you have to replace him, the Bruins window is getting smaller while still open. Leino is as soft as they come this is a guy who couldn't even help the worst team in the league I just don't see how this guy could help the Bruins. MacIntyre would probably be the best replacement for Thornton he may not have the same skill but he hits like a tank on speed (that dude is damn scary) plus I'm sure he would cost less than Leino.

The Bruins are still tough but compared to what they've been they are softer then in the previous years. Lucic - who is a real beast - has been told to fight less by Julien, same goes for Chara. McQuaid is also tough but only in his own weight class, Thornton brought physicality, energy, size and toughness. Watch out for Marchand now cleaning up his game.

I mean, if you let Thornton go you have to replace him, the Bruins window is getting smaller while still open. Leino is as soft as they come this is a guy who couldn't even help the worst team in the league I just don't see how this guy could help the Bruins. MacIntyre would probably be the best replacement for Thornton he may not have the same skill but he hits like a tank on speed (that dude is damn scary) plus I'm sure he would cost less than Leino.

Where did you hear that Julien told Lucic and Chara not to fight as much? I've never seen or heard that anywhere.

Look at his fights after he signed the contract they've gone down but I'm looking for the article now hopefully I'll find it (think it was on tsn).

I just looked at their number of fights. Chara's have been steadily going down for about ten years, and Lucic is coming off one of the higher totals of his career.

I just looked at their number of fights. Chara's have been steadily going down for about ten years, and Lucic is coming off one of the higher totals of his career.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/2638 7 - 6 - 5 - 1 - 7 compared to his two best season 13 and 10 fights that's a drop off don't you think ?

Anyway regarding Leino if it's just a competition pto good idea, Holland tried the same thing but didn't work out (anyway I didn't care if we sign/don't sign Diaz).

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/2638 7 - 6 - 5 - 1 - 7 compared to his two best season 13 and 10 fights that's a drop off don't you think ?

Anyway regarding Leino if it's just a competition pto good idea, Holland tried the same thing but didn't work out (anyway I didn't care if we sign/don't sign Diaz).

Those (10,13) were his first two years in the league, not "after he signed his contract" as you'd suggested. I agree, his fight totals have gone down since his first two years. Likely because he broke into the league as a bottom six tough guy and has since taken on a top six power forward/scoring role. Not, as you suggested, because Julien told him to fight less.

Those (10,13) were his first two years in the league, not "after he signed his contract" as you'd suggested. I agree, his fight totals have gone down since his first two years. Likely because he broke into the league as a bottom six tough guy and has since taken on a top six power forward/scoring role. Not, as you suggested, because Julien told him to fight less.

Ah you're right mixed that up so my bad. Yeah Backes and him are the epitome of top 6 powerforward my favorite type of forward.

Yes lazy and selfish but he can score a craps ton of goals, so he is proof that it can work, as long as you have enough skill.

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm saying it doesn't work because hockey is a two way game. Obviously you can just score goals, hundreds of players have done that, that's clearly not the point. Players like Ovie can get away with doing it but if it worked the Caps would be a lot better.

Guest DeGraa55

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm saying it doesn't work because hockey is a two way game. Obviously you can just score goals, hundreds of players have done that, that's clearly not the point. Players like Ovie can get away with doing it but if it worked the Caps would be a lot better.

I think he is a bad example. Washington has been a terrible team for awhile with only a few good players. A couple players can't carry any team in te playoffs.

I think if ovi actually gave his all every night he could carry that team...

Maybe not to a cup, but definitely a lot further than where they usually fall at.

He's fast as hell, strong, and has an amazing shot.

He could make an impact every time he stepped on the ice if he wasn't only focused on scoring.