• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Wings sign Defenseman Joe Hicketts to Entry Level Contract.

Rate this topic

The Red Wings have signed defenseman Joe Hicketts to a three-year entry-level contract.

Per Wings' Press Release:

"The Detroit Red Wings today announced that they have agreed to terms with defenseman Joe Hicketts on a three-year, entry-level contract. In accordance with club policy, additional details will not be disclosed.

Hicketts, 18, signs his first NHL contract after attending Detroit’s development camp in July and playing for the club last week at the 2014 NHL Prospects Tournament in Traverse City, Mich. In 2013-14, Hicketts skated in 36 games for the Western Hockey League’s Victoria Royals, ranking second among the team’s defensemen with 24 points (6-18-24) despite missing nearly half the season due to injury. The 5-foot-8, 186-lb., blueliner has played 103 WHL games for the Royals since 2012-13, totaling 48 points (12-36-48), a plus-14 rating and 57 penalty minutes over two seasons. He has also appeared in 13 playoff games for the club, registering three assists and 11 penalty minutes.

A native of Kamloops, British Columbia, Hicketts has represented Canada twice on the international stage. He captained Team Pacific at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Drummondville and Victoriaville, Quebec, in 2013 and won a bronze medal with Canada at the Under-18 World Championships in Lappeenranta and Imatra, Finland, in April 2014. Hicketts picked up a combined 10 points (2-8-10) and 12 penalty minutes over the two tournaments."

If enough users commented on it, do you all think we could get Ansar Khan to do an investigatory article on the exact heights and weights of Joe Hicketts parents? It's the only info I really care about with regard to this story.

Edited by kipwinger

...so another small left handed defenseman....5'8"? He may put some pounds on, but he ain't growing much taller....plus he's left handed...yet he is still more promising than Q or K...

Good luck Joe...I am pulling for anyone to bring something better to this organization, Lord knows Holland isn't.

...so another small left handed defenseman....5'8"? He may put some pounds on, but he ain't growing much taller....plus he's left handed...yet he is still more promising than Q or K...

Good luck Joe...I am pulling for anyone to bring something better to this organization, Lord knows Holland isn't.

To be fair he's only 18, and men grow till the mid 20's--so he can still hit a growth spurt. He probably won't grow into a monster, but no reason he can't be 5'11 or 6' feet tall.

To be fair he's only 18, and men grow till the mid 20's--so he can still hit a growth spurt. He probably won't grow into a monster, but no reason he can't be 5'11 or 6' feet tall.

Wait I'm 5'9" and I'm 25... Does that mean I can still grow??? :) please make it happen Santa!! I have 3 weeks till I'm 26 so it has to happen soon

I think 5'10 is reasonable. Personally I maxed out at about 16-17 so I'm being generous based on personal experience.

Maybe 5'11" in skates, but it's a bit of a misconception...Most men stop growing (height wise) by their 18th, or 19th B-Day...Men will 'fill out' up until the age of 26 (meaning bone density, and muscle mass).

In other words - if this kid hits a legit 5'9" - he better go out, and buy lottery tickets.

I stopped growing (height wise) when I was 17...Thank God - I'm 6'4" - I can't imagine wanting to be any taller than what I already am.

I grew 3 inches between 20 and 25, It all depends on genetics. Just because he's 5'8 now doesn't mean he'll stay that way, most likely he'll grow several inches.

Maybe 5'11" in skates, but it's a bit of a misconception...Most men stop growing (height wise) by their 18th, or 19th B-Day...Men will 'fill out' up until the age of 26 (meaning bone density, and muscle mass).

In other words - if this kid hits a legit 5'9" - he better go out, and buy lottery tickets.

I stopped growing (height wise) when I was 17...Thank God - I'm 6'4" - I can't imagine wanting to be any taller than what I already am.

Ha I'm the shortest guy in family at 6'0". Unlike you, My 6'5" cousin who I work with, loves how much taller than me he is.

I believe he was 5'8", or 5'9" without skates, but was solid built.

True story...I met Rafalski's cousin at a Wings/Preds game in Nashville (the game Lilja got beaten up by Weber, and Wings got their butts handed to them), and he was the spitting image of Brian...After chatting several minutes - I had learned that many ask for his autograph - mistaking him for his pro playing cousin.(since he's the same age height/build), but he was at most 5'9" - in shoes.

So Joe could become solid?

Several inches?

As in 5 to 7 inches?

If he were 14 - then I'd say there's a good chance...At age 18 - it's highly unlikely.

You're growth spurt at that late of an age is exceptionally rare.

If he grows several inches (not sure where you got 5-7 from) that would put him in Rafalski category. Either way he's so far away from the NHL it doesn't really matter.

Edited by wings87

Hopefully this settles the debate:

http://www.hgfound.org/pub_patterns.asp

"Growth ceases between 16 and 18 years of age, when the growing ends of the bones fuse. A person's adult height is determined by many factors, including the heights of his or her parents, the age at which puberty begins and the length and vigor of the pubertal growth spurt. An x-ray of the hand or knee allows the doctor to assess the maturity of the bones (bone age) and estimate how much growth potential remains."

It sounds to me like you stop growing in height at 18. But like most things,there are exceptions to every rule.

Edited by kliq

Hopefully this settles the debate:

http://www.hgfound.org/pub_patterns.asp

"Growth ceases between 16 and 18 years of age, when the growing ends of the bones fuse. A person's adult height is determined by many factors, including the heights of his or her parents, the age at which puberty begins and the length and vigor of the pubertal growth spurt. An x-ray of the hand or knee allows the doctor to assess the maturity of the bones (bone age) and estimate how much growth potential remains."

It sounds to me like you stop growing in height at 18. But like most things,there are exceptions to every rule.

I personally think this is a pointless debate, but because of a slow offseason we are forced into this. I hate you Holland. Edited by wings87

I understand the knock on size, but if this kid turns into someone along the likes of Torey Krug... I won't knock him until I see if he does/doesn't pan out. Gets a year or so in junior to show whether or not he can put up some numbers.

Edited by Jesusberg

I've not seen him play but an 18 year old who goes undrafted and then earns an ELC 3 months later must be doing something right. Adds depth to GR/Toledo and who knows could be a great find. It's not like a minor league ELC breaks the bank, always worth a punt.

Have a journalist hit up the player's parents for info? What do you think this is, Toronto? (Joke that I can't believe nobody has made yet)

On a serious note, is the OP sincere in thinking a certain amount of comments will push Ansar to dig for the parents contact info just for their height and weight??

Good for Hicketts, but I just do not see him making anything more than an injury recall appearance since the Wings have chosen a defenseman under 6 feet only 8 times out of 46 D men chosen in the draft since 1998, with the latest being Ben Marshall back in 2010. They clearly have a desire for size on the back end.

Ya, like I said, I am all for someone making it and making this organization better. It would be a great story to make it to the NHL and become a solid 10-15 year player after not being drafted. I wish him all the luck!

It's not like a 5'8" guy hasn't defied the odds before either. I am just still very frustrated with Holland and it's taking awhile to get it out of my system... No offense to Hicketts, and like I said he probably is already better than Q or K... :lol:

Have a journalist hit up the player's parents for info? What do you think this is, Toronto? (Joke that I can't believe nobody has made yet)

On a serious note, is the OP sincere in thinking a certain amount of comments will push Ansar to dig for the parents contact info just for their height and weight??

Good for Hicketts, but I just do not see him making anything more than an injury recall appearance since the Wings have chosen a defenseman under 6 feet only 8 times out of 46 D men chosen in the draft since 1998, with the latest being Ben Marshall back in 2010. They clearly have a desire for size on the back end.

No I'm not serious. I was making a joke about his growth potential. He's only 5'8. But if his dad and mom are both over 6', then maybe we'd have reason to be optimistic. And LGW optimism is reason enough to invade the privacy of a couple of middle aged Canadians. I made a funny. Ugh.

Edited by kipwinger

With you being so serious most of the time - it's hard to tell when you're being silly.

I usually send out a press release. But you LGW bozos are too busy reading about hockey to read them. Hockey...the opiate of the masses.