• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rrasco

We're Down One Goose

Rate this topic

The more it happens the more, I think, it is related to our playing style. I mean willingness to absorp the hits, not fighting back, being in vulnerable positions just to win the puck, etc. We're playing like 6'3'' team while our best players are just 5'11''. It takes a lot of courage to do this but at the same time it is stupid

Pasha, Mantha, Nyquist like Goldberg would ask "who's next?"

...short answer....Franzen, Howard, Zetterberg and Kronwall. In no particular order... I only wish I was kidding, and hope it doesn't happen, but this is what I am expecting and will not be surprised at all.

Looks like Andersson, Ferraro, Callahan and Jurco all have a job come October...

...short answer....Franzen, Howard, Zetterberg and Kronwall. In no particular order... I only wish I was kidding, and hope it doesn't happen, but this is what I am expecting and will not be surprised at all.

Looks like Andersson, Ferraro, Callahan and Jurco all have a job come October...

Callahan had a big hit in the game yesterday but I didn't think he was very good at all. Definitely not nhl ready. Ferraro, might be ok, I think I'd like to give someone else a shot though.

I think it has something to do with practice...

Think about it: the Wings practice against the Wings - we aren't an overly physical team and in practice we would be even less physical than in a game. If you practice going to the dirty areas and into the corners over and over again in practice without any physical impact when you get to a game situation you do the same but get destroyed. I think our players are just generally not totally expecting huge impacts - look at Sproul, Datsyuk recently who were surprised by hits they typically wouldn't expect from practicing against a soft Wings team.

Think about it: the Wings practice against the Wings - we aren't an overly physical team and in practice we would be even less physical than in a game. If you practice going to the dirty areas and into the corners over and over again in practice without any physical impact when you get to a game situation you do the same but get destroyed. I think our players are just generally not totally expecting huge impacts - look at Sproul, Datsyuk recently who were surprised by hits they typically wouldn't expect from practicing against a soft Wings team.

Nyquist had a knee on knee collision. Should they start practicing knee on knee collisions in practice so they are ready?

There might be something to this. Either that or the strength and conditioning staff isn't doing their jobs.

Stronger bigger guys anyone?

Against team policy. Holland doesn't like any forward over 6'3.

I've often asked that myself, yeah the team can't practicce knee on knee - or at least shouldn't but you can't train how to absorb hits and when to expect them.

Stronger bigger guys anyone?

Nope note in the masterplan otherwise the team could dish out some hits and make others pay...

People seem to think this only happens to us. And there are many comments about our players being weak pansies who are made of glass, etc. It's kind of understandable since most here focus on the Wings and don't follow other teams to the same extent. The whole league is like this, though. I think it's just the effects of the faster, bigger league. Here's some other teams' current situations to give some perspective:

Pens: Malkin still not skating, Crosby missed the beginning of camp, Beau Bennett has a knee injury, Robert Bertuzzo possibly has a significant injury

Kings: Derek Stepan out with broken fibula.

Philly: Giroux (lower body), Timonnen (blood clots) Couturier, Emery injured, Bellemare as well (who's he?),

Leafs: Bozak, Robidas (leg), Clarkson all injured. Tallinder also (PTO)

Rangers: Malone out(hip flexor)

Carolina: Jordan Stall (broken leg)

Bruins: Cambell still hasn't skated, Camara (illness), Pasternak (probably wouldn't have made the team)

Lightning: Druin (fractured thumb)

Avalanche: McGinn, Bordeleau (both had back surgery) minor injuries to Gabe Landeskog, Max Talbot and Ryan O'Reilly and Jan Hejda

Columbus: Horton will miss start of season (back pain)

Canadiens: Eller injured plus a lot of prospects: McCarron, Grimoire, Connor Crisp, Dalton Thrower, Stefan Fournier and Jack Nevins

Wild: Harding out indefinitely (foot injury)

Ducks: Palmeiri, Shea Thodore

People seem to think this only happens to us. And there are many comments about our players being weak pansies who are made of glass, etc. It's kind of understandable since most here focus on the Wings and don't follow other teams to the same extent. The whole league is like this, though. I think it's just the effects of the faster, bigger league. Here's some other teams' current situations to give some perspective:

Pens: Malkin still not skating, Crosby missed the beginning of camp, Beau Bennett has a knee injury, Robert Bertuzzo possibly has a significant injury

Philly: Giroux (lower body), Timonnen (blood clots) Couturier, Emery injured, Bellemare as well (who's he?),

Bruins: Cambell still hasn't skated, Camara (illness), Pasternak (probably wouldn't have made the team)

Avalanche: McGinn, Bordeleau (both had back surgery) minor injuries to Gabe Landeskog, Max Talbot and Ryan O'Reilly and Jan Hejda

Canadiens: Eller injured plus a lot of prospects: McCarron, Grimoire, Connor Crisp, Dalton Thrower, Stefan Fournier and Jack Nevins

Wow are those guys maybe starting to train too hard ? That's a lot of and some serious injuries maybe the NHL should crack down on the amount of p re season games.

This is a good post. Way to put things into perspective.

The last two seasons in a row, the Wings were among the league leaders in man games lost.