• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
trule23

Babcock "I don't think it will be my final year here"

Rate this topic

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/11/report-babcock-and-red-wings-close-to-a-long-term-deal/

The Windsor star (not sure how reliable of a source they are?) is reporting that babs is close to signing long term in Detroit, in a deal that would make him the highest paid coach in the league. Babcock previously said he wouldn't negotiate during the season so maybe take that with a grain of salt but, I wouldn't be surprised; especially with how well they're doing lately.

Bob Duff is pretty reliable

I'd take this one with a grain of salt, guys. I lived in Windsor for 27 years, and got to read Bob Duff's work quite a bit. In 2011, Bob joined Twitter and stirred things up with a Bogosian to Detroit rumor. He even tweeted me back at the time, saying it was very close, and Holland was about to pull the trigger on the deal outlined here:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=34058

Oddly enough, Bob writes for Hockey Buzz on the side now. I don't think it discredits him as a journalist, but I question anyone who writes in the same realm as Eklund when it comes to rumors.

I'm not saying there's no chance he's right about this one, but he's been getting a little less reliable the past two to three years or so. Right when he joined Twitter, which I doubt is a coincidence.

Edited by Jesusberg

The only bad news with this is i think itll be really hard to keep blashill in the system, and we haven't had a coach next to babs on the bench stay long enough to Go down there and take over.

We always get our cupboards raided by teams wanting our guys.

Maybe MacLean will come back and coach the griffs.

Or drastically over pay blash to keep him down there.

I'd take this one with a grain of salt, guys. I lived in Windsor for 27 years, and got to read Bob Duff's work quite a bit. In 2011, Bob joined Twitter and stirred things up with a Bogosian to Detroit rumor. He even tweeted me back at the time, saying it was very close, and Holland was about to pull the trigger on the deal outlined here:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=34058

Oddly enough, Bob writes for Hockey Buzz on the side now. I don't think it discredits him as a journalist, but I question anyone who writes in the same realm as Eklund when it comes to rumors.

I'm not saying there's no chance he's right about this one, but he's been getting a little less reliable the past two to three years or so. Right when he joined Twitter, which I doubt is a coincidence.

Thanks for the heads up dude, hope he's right on this one!

Report: Mike Babcock on verge of announcing contract extension with Wings; team’s success made choice easy
THN_AdamProteau_TOP1-150x150.jpg
By: Adam Proteau on December 11, 2014
Filed under: Coaching, Detroit Red Wings, News, NHL, Toronto Maple Leafs
babcock-640x427.jpg
Mike Babcock (Getty Images)

That sound you’re hearing is Red Wings fans exhaling a giant sigh of relief: according to Windsor Starcolumnist and THN contributor Bob Duff, Detroit coach Mike Babcock is on the verge of agreeing to a multi-year contract extension.

Babcock had been the subject of intense speculation he would move on – to the Wings’ division rival Maple Leafs, some said – when his current deal expired at the end of this season, but his links to the team were not easily broken, especially considering how well it has started the 2014-15 campaign.

Although the Wings were beaten at home by Toronto Wednesday night, they still had the Eastern Conference’s best record (17-6-6) and only Anaheim had more points (43) than Detroit’s 40. This, despite a roster whose two best players aren’t far from retirement. This, despite a patchwork defense corps that’s hardly the envy of the NHL. This, despite the hiccups and backsliding that can occur when you’re attempting to assimilate a new generation of young talent into the sport’s top professional league.

The Red Wings throw aside more phoney crutches than a fraudulent religious healer’s act and just go out there and win, and when you’re as much a part of that culture as Babcock is, it’s next to impossible to walk away from it.

And if people are waiting for Detroit’s bubble to burst in the next few months, recall last season, where they were more of a triage unit than a hockey team: Babcock’s team could’ve leaned on any of those excuses to miss the playoffs and end the Wings’ insane post-season streak. Didn’t happen. Youngsters such as Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar continued to develop.

The Leafs (and about 29 other teams) would’ve loved to hire Babcock, but they’ll move along without him and wait for another coach they like – for instance, a Lindy Ruff, or an Alain Vigneault – to be looking for work. But Babcock’s familiarity with and fondness for the franchise with which his coaching career has peaked made his decision process relatively easy. So did the future he sees for it.

At 51 years of age, Babcock has a lot of years of coaching left in him if he wants to stick around, and he wouldn’t recommit to Detroit if he believed he wouldn’t have the organizational support and expertise necessary to win his second Stanley Cup. He also easily could’ve broken the bank with a more lucrative contract than the Wings offered him, but he didn’t wait until the off-season to drive up his price and soak his employers for a few hundred thousand dollars more.

The Wings have their challenges, but in the end, too many things keep going right in Detroit for Babcock to get hung up on anything that was going wrong.

yesjacknicholson.gif

Edited by Hockeytown0001

I've always thought that top coaches are well worth the big money. They don't count against the salary cap. So why wouldn't a team pay a extra for an advantage that doesn't go against the cap?? Coaches salaries are a drop in the overall budget when your looking at 70 Million $ player payrolls annually.

Not that I'm surprised, but...

Ansar Khan@AnsarKhanMLive 3m

Babcock said contrary to reports he is not close to signing contract and doesn't expect to do so during season.

Helene St. James@HeleneStJames 4m

red Wings coach Mike Babcock says extension not imminent. Says whoever reporting that "is wrong."

Edited by Jesusberg

*sigh* as long as it doesn't come from the insiders all these rumors are just that rumors.

The media seems to have a hard time getting a simple fact:

Babcock won't negotiate during the season, period.

I'm already prepared to see him coaching Crosby & Co. next year

Edited by frankgrimes

*sigh* as long as it doesn't come from the insiders all these rumors are just that rumors.

The media seems to have a hard time getting a simple fact:

Babcock won't negotiate during the season, period.

I'm already prepared to see him coaching Crosby & Co. next year

No doubt. Stupid suck ass media. All they do is speculate and fear monger. Not the kind of thing frankgrimes is into. Nope. No way. Errr....wait

"I'm already prepared to see him coaching Crosby & Co. next year" - frankgrimes

Think I'm missing this information. Did the Blues say they wouldn't extend Hitchcock unless he gets them to Cup Final?

His contract is running out after this year and - pure speculation - if they fail again the Blues might want to look at other options. Also Bob Hartleys contract expires too after this year, so if Babcock leaves there will be some options at least.

Based on what?!?!?

Boucher was a great coach with the new vision and the new way of how hockey should be played in Juniors and was supposed to be a Babs 2.0 and now where is he? How can we pretend that Blashill will have succes in NHL? We don't know that BUT We ALL know that BABS is THE BEST Coach in NHL PERIOD!

Edited by Dominator2005

Jesus, I hope he re-signs. Not because I'm convinced he's the bestest coach eva. But if he doesn't, people are going to lose theirf****** minds. George Malik will be the first to self immolate, such is his devotion to Babs. Likewise, half of LGW will commit seppuku in an act of allegiance to their fallen master.

Edited by kipwinger