• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
trule23

Babcock "I don't think it will be my final year here"

Rate this topic

The first time I've heard this guy talking was like did I click on a Babcock interview ? He even spells fantastic in the same manner. The thing with AHL coaches is this, very few of them move on to great NHL careers because for some it's too hard to adapt their working system. The Oilers are a perfect example of this, Eakins and his "swarm defense" worked in the AHL because the game is slower, the players aren't as experienced and the talent level isn't that high...but in the NHL his team barely looks ready to compete.

I like Blashill a lot but I would prefer having as an assistant coach while learning under Babcock, just as I would have loved seeing Smith learning from the master himself before he retired.

That being said, Babcock holds all the leverage here, I would go as far as saying...some teams would fire their coach just to hire him. So the only chance of seeing him staying is: making him the by far highest coach in the business and finally give the guy more saying in whom to bring in.

Blashill was an assistant coach under Babcock in 2011-12 before he was made Head coach of the Griffins.

I have no idea if it's true whether not many AHL coaches make it to the NHL, but I look at it this way: 23 out of 32 NHL head coaches coached in the AHL. Tippet, Nolan, Roy, Ruff, Sutter, Deboer, McLean, Johnston, Hitchcock came from the OHL, IHL, or elsewhere (I did a quick search on hockeydb.com). The usual path to becoming a NHL coach is the AHL.

I wouldn't count Blashill out because of Eakins' struggles. From what I've seen Eakins' problem is his abrasive personality and his dysfunctional relationship with his players. Blashill seems to be great with dealing personally with players. Not saying Blashill is a sure thing, but I haven't seen anything to show that he would be anything other than a great coach.

Blashill was an assistant coach under Babcock in 2011-12 before he was made Head coach of the Griffins.

I have no idea if it's true whether not many AHL coaches make it to the NHL, but I look at it this way: 23 out of 32 NHL head coaches coached in the AHL. Tippet, Nolan, Roy, Ruff, Sutter, Deboer, McLean, Johnston, Hitchcock came from the OHL, IHL, or elsewhere (I did a quick search on hockeydb.com). The usual path to becoming a NHL coach is the AHL.

I wouldn't count Blashill out because of Eakins' struggles. From what I've seen Eakins' problem is his abrasive personality and his dysfunctional relationship with his players. Blashill seems to be great with dealing personally with players. Not saying Blashill is a sure thing, but I haven't seen anything to show that he would be anything other than a great coach.

Yeah I mean it's by far the second best league in NA but being a good AHL coach doesn't automatically translate to being a good NHL coach too. Personally I really like Blashill but I would for sure expect some growing pains, system tinkering and a bunch of other expected problems once someones makes the jump from AHL to nhl headcoach.

Funny thing is I liked Eakins a lot as a Marlies coach, come off very friendly and always thought of him as some type of a players coach but boy then his nhl debut...and the first thing he did is wiping out pictures from Gretzky, Messier ...I mean how hard is it really ? If your players can't play your system change it to something they can play, instead of acting like a cocky spoiled little brat.

Yeah I mean it's by far the second best league in NA but being a good AHL coach doesn't automatically translate to being a good NHL coach too. Personally I really like Blashill but I would for sure expect some growing pains, system tinkering and a bunch of other expected problems once someones makes the jump from AHL to nhl headcoach.

Funny thing is I liked Eakins a lot as a Marlies coach, come off very friendly and always thought of him as some type of a players coach but boy then his nhl debut...and the first thing he did is wiping out pictures from Gretzky, Messier ...I mean how hard is it really ? If your players can't play your system change it to something they can play, instead of acting like a cocky spoiled little brat.

I agree with you 100%. But you can also find new players. Like that time Scotty Bowman (then GM of the Red Wings) decided not to bring Bob Probert back because he wasn't talented enough to play Scotty's system. Just gotta make hard decisions.

Blashill has yet to c coach a nhl game. Remember Dallas Eakins? Great ahl resume but can't get the job done in the nhl. There would for sure be some growing pains, stepping right in is hard enough but replacing the by far best coach in hockey is even more daunting. That being said if Babcock walks Blashill will be next in line.

Eakins is a great example. AHL success doesn’t always translate to NHL success. For sure.

But, Eakins went from Toronto’s “system" (I’ll use that term loosely when I talk about Toronto) to Edmonton’s. Blashill would be staying under Detroit’s organizational blanket.

Plus Blashill knows most of these players well.

Plus Blashill beat Eakins in the Calder playoffs en route to a championship. So there. :lol:

Go figure no cap on coaches and yet such a low ball offer. Just strengthens my point Babcock will be gone after this season if the Wings aren't upping their offer.

Uhhhh by the sounds of it they're pretty close to a deal. Am I missing something? They're barely off on financials, and off on term by just one year. How is that a low ball? They offered a mirror contract of Holland's. That's a pretty fair place to start negotiations IMO. Also wouldn't that deal make him one of the highest paid coaches in the entire league?

Guest DeGraa55

How the **** is that a low ball?

Cause he deserves more then holland. Also if the difference is a few hundred thousand this should've been done all ready.

If that's all Babcock wants(I think will make him the highest paid) give it to him.

Uhhhh by the sounds of it they're pretty close to a deal. Am I missing something? They're barely off on financials, and off on term by just one year. How is that a low ball? They offered a mirror contract of Holland's. That's a pretty fair place to start negotiations IMO. Also wouldn't that deal make him one of the highest paid coaches in the entire league?

I think it would be the highest paid coaching contract in the league if I'm not mistaken. He's was already pretty close to the top (and was when he signed) at $2m

How the **** is that a low ball?

Cause he deserves more then holland. Also if the difference is a few hundred thousand this should've been done all ready.

If that's all Babcock wants(I think will make him the highest paid) give it to him.

Exactly if that's all it takes to extend him, up the offer and yes he deserves more than Holland. Babcock is the best coach Holland sadly lost his fire.

Exactly if that's all it takes to extend him, up the offer and yes he deserves more than Holland. Babcock is the best coach Holland sadly lost his fire.

Well he's demanding more, and Holland offered him pretty close to that in the first place anyway. So you're both probably going to get your wish that he makes more than Holland. I couldn't care who he makes more than.

I still don't understand how you think it's a low ball. He's going to be the highest paid coach in the league even if Babs comes down a little.

Well he's demanding more, and Holland offered him pretty close to that in the first place anyway. So you're both probably going to get your wish that he makes more than Holland. I couldn't care who he makes more than.

I still don't understand how you think it's a low ball. He's going to be the highest paid coach in the league even if Babs comes down a little.

It's simple for me ;

This is hockey town, no cap on stuff, front office, coaches and I'd like to see the Wings setting a trend in coaches salaries plus we haven't flexed our financial muscle enough for my liking.

Edited by frankgrimes

I think they should throw money on the bench before every game, and into the stands while Chris ilitch flexes in a muscle shirt.

Just give him five at five.

Get it done.

He's doing more on the bench than Weiss is.

(Ba dum tsss)

Yes, give him more than he's asking for, and ilitch would be at center ice, to clear up any confusion on location.

It's simple for me ; This is hockey town, no cap on stuff, front office, coaches and I'd like to see the Wings setting a trend in coaches salaries plus we haven't flexed our financial muscle enough for my liking.

So you think it's smart to run a business by - not just making your employee the highest paid of that type of employee - throwing uneeded extra money at him bc "we're hockey town, look how much bigger our muscles are?" Not only is that economically backwards, but him signing that contract would literally give us the biggest "financal muscles" in terms of coaches lol.

I want my team to spend all it can to be the best it can be, but not overpay for no reason lol.

Can we agree that offer was no where near a lowball yet?

It's simple for me ; This is hockey town, no cap on stuff, front office, coaches and I'd like to see the Wings setting a trend in coaches salaries plus we haven't flexed our financial muscle enough for my liking.

So you think it's smart to run a business by - not just making your employee the highest paid of that type of employee - throwing uneeded extra money at him bc "we're hockey town, look how much bigger our muscles are?" Not only is that economically backwards, but him signing that contract would literally give us the biggest "financal muscles" in terms of coaches lol.

I want my team to spend all it can to be the best it can be, but not overpay for no reason lol.

Can we agree that offer was no where near a lowball yet?

See that's the difference I don't care about that stuff it's not my money but if I were that rich I would pay it. I mean how often is the best coach in a sport willing to stick with a rebuilding / retooling team? Something that hardly happens

See that's the difference I don't care about that stuff it's not my money but if I were that rich I would pay it. I mean how often is the best coach in a sport willing to stick with a rebuilding / retooling team? Something that hardly happens

They're not far off on financials or term at all. What makes you think they won't pay it? They're probably going to meet somewhere in the middle later this season. If the article said they were off by multiple terms and a lot of money I'd be preaching what you're saying... but they're not lol.

They're not far off on financials or term at all. What makes you think they won't pay it? They're probably going to meet somewhere in the middle later this season. If the article said they were off by multiple terms and a lot of money I'd be preaching what you're saying... but they're not lol.

Well half a million is a lot of money so we will see

Not sure where you got that number from. Article said just under 3, and Babs asked for 3.

EDIT: You want the team to throw even more than what Babcock is asking for at him, but then find a half a million difference to be a lot? I don't get it.

Edited by number9

Not sure where you got that number from. Article said just under 3, and Babs asked for 3.

EDIT: You want the team to throw even more than what Babcock is asking for at him, but then find a half a million difference to be a lot? I don't get it.

Nope I've read over 3 as 3.5 could be more could be less who knows. Also keep in mind is just the media speculating, maybe they are closer or further apart.