• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

9/29 Exhibition GDT : Maple Leafs 0 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

Jensen stood out the most. Power play look real good. Oulette and mrazek are nhl ready. Callahan was unimpressive to me. Alot of running around, but he is feisty. Reminds me of abdelkader. Excited to have a healthy weiss on third line center. Dont break up sheahan jurco tatar line. Overall really good game.

Like everyone else I thought Jensen looked really good. He does exactly what I wish Smith would do with the puck. Skate it out of trouble and then get it to a forward. He doesn't do too much.

Otherwise I thought the Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar line looked great. If Babs breaks that line up he's a goon (so I guess I should prepare for it). I thought Callahan showed he could be an effective fourth liner in more than just an agitator role. Also, Sproul's shot is sick...but I already new that.

Wish I could have seen Nosek more, but unfortunately he must have forgot that the numbers go on the back of the sweater in North American hockey.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to add that Weiss looked really good out there. He's a really quick, efficient player. He gets to loose pucks and has the skating ability to hang on to them. He's going to score points for us this year. He just needs a bit more time to knock the rust off his passing and shot, and WAY better linemates.

Edited by kipwinger

Like everyone else I thought Jensen looked really good. He does exactly what I wish Smith would do with the puck. Skate it out of trouble and then get it to a forward. He doesn't do too much.

Otherwise I thought the Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar line looked great. If Babs breaks that line up he's a goon (so I guess I should prepare for it). I thought Callahan showed he could be an effective fourth liner in more than just an agitator role. Also, Sproul's shot is sick...but I already new that.

Wish I could have seen Nosek more, but unfortunately he must have forgot that the numbers go on the back of the sweater in North American hockey.

I missed the game. Thanks for the recap everyone.

Does anyone have a clip of the nosek hit? Was it bad?

Come on now Kip, even you have to admit that Smith looked great last night. Jensen was awesome, but there is no denying that Smith did exactly what you say you want him to do (skate the puck out of trouble and get it to a forward) last night. Smith is going to take another huge step this year and even you will be impressed, mark my words. ;)

Come on now Kip, even you have to admit that Smith looked great last night. Jensen was awesome, but there is no denying that Smith did exactly what you say you want him to do (skate the puck out of trouble and get it to a forward) last night. Smith is going to take another huge step this year and even you will be impressed, mark my words. ;)

I didn't intend for that last post to be a criticism of Smith's performance last night. He was fine. I didn't really have any complaints with his game. I'm saying that he has had a tendency (thus far in his career) to either A) try to stretch pass out of the zone (which he's not great at), or B) skate out of the zone but hang on to the puck too long and get caught. Jensen seems to know already what it's taken Smith a little while to learn, skate the puck out of trouble (if that's your strong suit) and then get it to a forward quickly and get back in position. My guess is that because his skating and offense really came along later in his career he's got the mentality that he needs to get the puck to the forwards. Conversely Smith hasn't really ever learned that lesson because he's been offensive and dominant his entire career. At low levels there wasn't really any downside to playing like that. It was only after he got the NHL that this kind of play got him in trouble. Kind of like what happened to Jack Johnson during his time in L.A.

But again, he wasn't bad last night.

I appreciate that you can admit that "he wasn't bad last night", but he played a great game. And as good as Jensen looked out there, you can't be serious to think that he knows already what has taken Smith this long to learn... It was one game. I think he's a pretty solid prospect and I do agree with those that say that he is overlooked a lot because of the number of great defensive prospects we have in the system. But if he were to make the club out of camp (he obviously won't) he would be just as prone to mistakes and turnovers as Smith in my opinion. Defense is the hardest position to learn and to transition from the American League to the National League without any hiccups is very rare. Also, you have to remember that Jensen is only one year younger than Smith, so Smith is not that much more matured as a hockey player even though he has a full season and a half under his belt at the NHL level. Anyway, the point is that Smith will turn heads this year, and I just hope you're willing to eat the proverbial crow when he does. :lol:

I appreciate that you can admit that "he wasn't bad last night", but he played a great game. And as good as Jensen looked out there, you can't be serious to think that he knows already what has taken Smith this long to learn... It was one game. I think he's a pretty solid prospect and I do agree with those that say that he is overlooked a lot because of the number of great defensive prospects we have in the system. But if he were to make the club out of camp (he obviously won't) he would be just as prone to mistakes and turnovers as Smith in my opinion. Defense is the hardest position to learn and to transition from the American League to the National League without any hiccups is very rare. Also, you have to remember that Jensen is only one year younger than Smith, so Smith is not that much more matured as a hockey player even though he has a full season and a half under his belt at the NHL level. Anyway, the point is that Smith will turn heads this year, and I just hope you're willing to eat the proverbial crow when he does. :lol:

Smith looked fine. He doesn't look great. He's an offensive defenseman and he's not really factoring into the offense very much. Once we get to the season, if he's adequate defensively and contributes offensively I'll gladly "eat crow" because he'll be doing what we drafted him to do. If he doesn't, then I'll wonder what all the fuss is about. We didn't draft this guy to be Ericsson.

As for Jensen. He's a rookie. I'm not saying he should make the team. But I don't think I'm making some outrageous claim to suggest that in this one area he's better than Smith. As a matter of fact, it's a little bit outrageous for you to act like its anathema for me to say Jensen is better at something than Smith. I didn't say he was a better player. Here's a couple of other things that will probably stick in your craw if you don't like acknowledging that a rookie has one or two characteristics better than Brendan...Sproul has a better shot, Marchenko (and probably Quellet too) are better at zone coverage, and Jensen is a better decision maker with the puck. None of them are better all around. But all of the statements I just made are true.

No, all of the statements you just made are opinion. The only one I would agree with is that Sproul has a better shot. I'm as high on our prospects as anyone but to say that any of them are better than any particular player in any particular area in a completely different league is, like I said, opinion.

Yes, when we drafter Smith he was a very offensive minded defenseman and I'm not saying he has evolved into an all around two way defenseman yet but that is the plan in my opinion, in Babs mind anyway. How can you really expect an offensive player to produce to their full capability when they're not put in the proper situations to succeed. He needs more time on the power play, and if Babcock stays true to his word, he will get a lot more this season and he will start to produce at a much higher clip.

No, all of the statements you just made are opinion. The only one I would agree with is that Sproul has a better shot. I'm as high on our prospects as anyone but to say that any of them are better than any particular player in any particular area in a completely different league is, like I said, opinion.

Yes, when we drafter Smith he was a very offensive minded defenseman and I'm not saying he has evolved into an all around two way defenseman yet but that is the plan in my opinion, in Babs mind anyway. How can you really expect an offensive player to produce to their full capability when they're not put in the proper situations to succeed. He needs more time on the power play, and if Babcock stays true to his word, he will get a lot more this season and he will start to produce at a much higher clip.

Wait, so your opinion about Smith rests on the premise that "The Best Coach in Hockey" is using him wrong?

Absolutely. I do think Babcock is one of the best coaches in hockey. Does that mean he is perfect and does no wrong? Absolutely not. He misuses a lot of guys on the roster in my opinion and hands out questionable ice time to many of his players. The reason I think he is brilliant is because he squeezes every ounce of talent out of each and every player on the team. He pushes every player to be the best they can be, each and every season, game, shift... In saying that, I wouldn't be completely opposed to seeing what Blashill could do as main man behind the Wings bench. I love Babs but it may be time for him to move on... Maybe...

Anyway, yes Smith has been misused and I just hope he is used to his strengths this season and gets a ton of power play time and puts up some points.

Edited by krsmith17

Absolutely. I do think Babcock is one of the best coaches in hockey. Does that mean he is perfect and does no wrong? Absolutely not. He misuses a lot of guys on the roster in my opinion and hands out questionable ice time to many of his players. The reason I think he is brilliant is because he squeezes every ounce of talent out of each and every player on the team. He pushes every player to be the best they can be, each and every season, game, shift... In saying that, I wouldn't be completely opposed to seeing what Blashill could do as main man behind the Wings bench. I love Babs but it may be time for him to move on... Maybe...

Anyway, yes Smith has been misused and I just hope he is used to his strengths this season and gets a ton of power play time and puts up some points.

So if I'm understanding this line of thinking correctly, Smith is really good but is just used wrong by the coach and isn't given a chance to succeed. But the coach is brilliant because he gets the most out of everybody all the time. Except this one guy, in this one instance. Because Smith, as you've stated, hasn't been great so far precisely because Babcock hasn't gotten the the most out of him every season, game, shift (as you've also stated)?

Edited by kipwinger

Like I said, Babcock isn't perfect. He does misuse some of his players but for the most part I do think he does get the most out of most of his players. I do think Smith has been misused, I do think Tatar has been misused, I do think Weiss has been and may continue to be misused and I do think Legwand was misused in the playoff last year. But he does squeeze every ounce of talent out of guys like Glendening, Abdelkader, Miller, etc... Anyway, you're turning this into something it wasn't. Babcock is a great coach, there is no denying that but he has his faults. Smith is a great player in the making and he will get better.

Keep dreaming themcityblues...

Like I said, Babcock isn't perfect. He does misuse some of his players but for the most part I do think he does get the most out of most of his players. I do think Smith has been misused, I do think Tatar has been misused, I do think Weiss has been and may continue to be misused and I do think Legwand was misused in the playoff last year. But he does squeeze every ounce of talent out of guys like Glendening, Abdelkader, Miller, etc... Anyway, you're turning this into something it wasn't. Babcock is a great coach, there is no denying that but he has his faults. Smith is a great player in the making and he will get better.

Keep dreaming themcityblues...

I'm really not trying to turn this into something it's not. I just have a hard time reconciling the fact that Babs is "brilliant" for getting the most out of "every player, every season, every game, every shift" with the fact that Smith is not producing because Babcock isn't getting the most out of him. Seems like the opposite would be true. If Babs does what you say, then Brendan Smith is always giving about as much as he could reasonably be expected to give...which so far is only a little above average.

Here's an interesting story (my apologies if someone already mentioned this, I didnt read the entire thread).

I gave my pre-season tickets for the Det/Tor game away to a friend (I have a 10 game package), and apparently in the third period some drunk guy a couple rows behind my friend decided to take it out and pee on his seat! Security rushed in and took him to Joe Louis jail. Crazy!

Here's an interesting story (my apologies if someone already mentioned this, I didnt read the entire thread).

I gave my pre-season tickets for the Det/Tor game away to a friend (I have a 10 game package), and apparently in the third period some drunk guy a couple rows behind my friend decided to take it out and pee on his seat! Security rushed in and took him to Joe Louis jail. Crazy!

Its preseason for everyone!! He will get the path to the Joe bathrooms down by the first home game

I love drinking beer as much as anybody else. But I hate stupid, drunk, assholes sooooo much that I almost hate booze too. Which is hard. Is it really that hard to drink, have fun, and go home without being a disgusting piece of trash?

So next time at the Joe, bring sani wipes... Check