• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Are the wings underrated?

Rate this topic

I gotta say I'm kind of annoyed with people on the radio and tv overlooking the wings like they got no chance at winning the division and it's all bruins habs and tampa (although pierre McGuire did just say people will be surprised at how many good prospects they'll see that detroit has in the next few years)

I look at last year and

Weiss missed 56 games

Helm 40

Zetterberg 37

Datsyuk 37

Ericsson 34

Franzen 28

Dekeyser 17

Besides last season and the shortened season we hit 100+pts 12 years in a row (and we still hit 93pts with all those injuries last year)

I know some will say we had lidstrom , and your right but we still got a great roster and promising young players along with the best coach and maybe I'm being naive cause I'm a die hard wings fan but I think we can compete and win our division

So just wondering, are the wings underrated? Or we clearly on the decline?

A team that can barely make it out of the first round once in the last 3 seasons is not underrated. Everyone knows the team is in a mini-rebuild mode.

Last summer we were hyped as a contender for the division. Now we're not after struggling through last season with injuries. And we essentially have the same team as last season.

It's all perspective.

Last summer we were hyped as a contender for the division. Now we're not after struggling through last season with injuries. And we essentially have the same team as last season.

It's all perspective.

That prediction for last season was essentially just based on the fact that we played above our heads the year before in the playoffs, and because we were moving east. Nobody who seriously looked at our defense would have believed we were going to contend for the division. Even without injuries its not like we were setting the world on fire the first part of the season. I'd say we were worse than we appeared at the beginning of last season, and (if Babcock truly ices the best squad) we're slightly better than we appear this season.

That prediction for last season was essentially just based on the fact that we played above our heads the year before in the playoffs, and because we were moving east. Nobody who seriously looked at our defense would have believed we were going to contend for the division. Even without injuries its not like we were setting the world on fire the first part of the season. I'd say we were worse than we appeared at the beginning of last season, and (if Babcock truly ices the best squad) we're slightly better than we appear this season.

Last season was by far one of the weirdest seasons I've seen. Not sure I can really draw any conclusions from it. The year before we took the Hawks deep in an early round. I don't think that's playing over our heads. They won a series they were predicted to win. We put up a helluva fight against a rival. Tends to happen.

The injuries were unpredictable and ridiculous. The beginning of the season was bad puck luck and just the entire team in one big slump. I actually think the injuries helped in a sense, bc the called up kids sparked the rest of the team.

I think this team really is underrated in a sense. We have some very good players at all positions, and very good young players at all positions. In the end I think we're probably middle of the pack come playoffs if last seasons bad fortunes don't repeat themselves.

In my opinion non red wing fans and media underrate the wings because they love prospects and the next it team however wings fans clearly overrate the wings so it should be somewhere in be tween

No way we get past the Kings AND the Bruins in 2013.

The Wings might be a little underrated this year. If they stay very healthy and if all the reports of improvements the players have made (stronger, faster, different routine, health) over the summer are accurate, they could make some noise in the division and maybe in the playoffs. The injury bug is already biting though, and I don't see them winning the division.

In my opinion non red wing fans and media underrate the wings because they love prospects and the next it team however wings fans clearly overrate the wings so it should be somewhere in be tween

I would disagree with this. I believe most Wings fans right now are completely underrating the Wings due to the frustration they have with the style of re-build the Wings are undertaking. Some fans have expectations of immediate results, and the fact that we have not been contenders for a few years just eats away at some. You cant read a single thread on this board (which is filled with die-hards) without reading how how "Holland ruined this team".

I think fans underrate them, I think overall the media are somewhere in the middle.

"If".

A team that can't close a series out after taking a 3 games to 1 lead has no business winning the Cup, and probably wouldn't have.

The only reason we played so well in those playoffs was Howard. He's been average in the other playoffs he's had, and look how that turned out for the team.

We don't have enough talent to win without a hot goalie.

No way we get past the Kings AND the Bruins in 2013.

The Wings might be a little underrated this year. If they stay very healthy and if all the reports of improvements the players have made (stronger, faster, different routine, health) over the summer are accurate, they could make some noise in the division and maybe in the playoffs. The injury bug is already biting though, and I don't see them winning the division.

The Kings looked gassed in 2013. Especially coming off the Cup win. Boston would have murdered us, though.

The only reason we played so well in those playoffs was Howard. He's been average in the other playoffs he's had, and look how that turned out for the team.

We don't have enough talent to win without a hot goalie.

The Kings looked gassed in 2013. Especially coming off the Cup win. Boston would have murdered us, though.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but this can be said for most teams come playoff time. Its very hard for a team to play well for 4 rounds if they dont have a hot goalie for the majority of it.

Guest DeGraa55

How can anyone say the wings are underrated? Lol

They have lots of UNPROVEN talent.

They had lots of injury prone talent.

They have several over the hill guys.

In fact I think it's pretty clear what the wings are. And if by some miracle they stay healthy and all live up to their hype this team would be a pleasant surprise. But after these last few seasons it's extremely foolish to think that'll happen.