• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Babcock quote about Jurco... Possible shot at Holland?

Rate this topic

It could be a shot. It also could be a "Yes" answer if he has the sole power to pick the team (which is unknown to fans but may be known to media).

Does he have complete control of the roster? Does he have to have his choices approved by the GM? I guess that if you know the answers to those two questions then you know the answer to his answer.

You've got to assume after the way they played two nights ago, and Babs' post game comments that he's going to play with Sheahan and Tatar. But where the hell does that leave Alfie should he decide to return (which I think is probably unlikely at this point)? If you slot him with Datsyuk and Z, then Helm has to go somewhere else. But does Babs really want Helm, Abby, and Miller one the fourth? I mean, I do, but it's hard telling what Babs wants sometimes.

You've got to assume after the way they played two nights ago, and Babs' post game comments that he's going to play with Sheahan and Tatar. But where the hell does that leave Alfie should he decide to return (which I think is probably unlikely at this point)? If you slot him with Datsyuk and Z, then Helm has to go somewhere else. But does Babs really want Helm, Abby, and Miller one the fourth? I mean, I do, but it's hard telling what Babs wants sometimes.

That would leave Alfie with Weiss & Franzen if he does return, Nyquist up with D & Z, and Helmer back to the 4th line. We're months away from this though. IMO if Alfie does return, it will be right around New Years or a little later.

Edited by ogreslayer

They definitely don't always see eye to eye on the roster.

Greg Brady: I'm fascinated by the, the entire, not just your team, but the GM-coach dynamic. How do you describe, frankly, your working relationship with Ken Holland? You're both champions of your sport, you wouldn't agree on every player's single...value, or where they should be use...Does it get interesting? Are there excited discussions, do voices get raised...It can kind of fun at the end of it, can't it?

Mike Babcock: Oh, for sure, you know, I was laughing the other day, I hadn't looked at a Hockey News in forever, and I was at my dad's place in Saskatoon, and I flip it open, and it goes to the Red Wings, and it says, "Lots of disagreement over players last year between Ken Holland and Mike Babcock," and my dad looks at me, "Isn't that every year?" and I said, "Every year, every day."

That's the process. Everybody's got your own opinion. And that's what makes you better; if you're the same, why would you hire someone the same as you?

The other thing about it is...Uncomfortable meetings, when you go to a meeting--and this is in any business--and nobody really tells anybody anything, nobody steps on anybody's toes...You leave the meeting, and everyone talks behind somebody's back.

When you go to a meeting, and you deal with the facts, in an uncomfortable situation, when you leave, everything's looked after.

I'd much rather it be that way. Ken and I have a great relationship. If we pretend for one second that we agree all the time, that's just not the case, but I can tell you this: we make each other a lot better.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/do-ken-holland-and-mike-babcock-disagree-about-personnel-yes-and-they-like

This is a pretty bold comment but he's made a couple like it before.

I think he once talked about not knowing why Ericsson was still in the AHL and not on the team.

I'm sure holland would want him up here as well but for his own reasons he kept his word to cleary and brought him back .... Brought back Quincey ... Stocked full of 4th liners when guys like Callahan Ferraro nestrasil are out of waivers

No ones ever happy , I'm sure we all disagree on a bunch of roster players

If it were up to me kindl would be gone somewhere and we'd make a trade for Johnny oduya for this season till the kids can be here fulltime next year

Miller and cleary wouldn't be here and jurco Callahan and possibly nestrasil would

Realistically jurco will start in the ahl due to cleary and others who shouldn't be here and we will lose at least one of Callahan nestrasil Ferraro

They definitely don't always see eye to eye on the roster.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/do-ken-holland-and-mike-babcock-disagree-about-personnel-yes-and-they-like

This is a pretty bold comment but he's made a couple like it before.

I think he once talked about not knowing why Ericsson was still in the AHL and not on the team.

One thing Babs said in there reminds me of this quote:

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -George S. Patton

babs just wants the best players on the ice. hollands job is to deal with all the one way contracts and all that difficult stuff.

Babs says that, but he has a history of not actually following through with it. He has been much more direct lately though about claiming the veteran priority is out.

One area where I think Holland is very strong and where Babcock is weak is in dealing with goaltenders. Maybe it's just because Holland was a goalie and has a better understanding of how they work, or maybe Babcock has too much of a black and white approach to thinking about and dealing with goalies, but there have been a few instances where Holland speaks up and takes action and pushes Babcock in a different direction and it's typically worked out for the better. I was never the biggest fan of Holland bringing Hasek here as I thought he was the type of player that would bring unnecessary drama, which he did on his first comeback stint, but other than that, I think Holland does a pretty good job of signing goalies and influencing goaltending decisions, and I think it's a weak area of Babcock's so I appreciate the balance there.

Could be I think Babcock knows, some players deserve a spot but the roster is almost set thanks to some questionable extensions. Hasek was a hit and miss chance the good thing is he turned into a hit for the team, at that time Holland easily the best GM in the game and for the players are wanted :(