• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Kindl on the block

Rate this topic

Wings can always eat part of his contract to get rid of him in a trade.

If Holland CAN trade him, he should get some props.

This is what I was thinking earlier. They'll probably have to eat half of it just to make it attractive enough. But really, that can only be a good thing. if they can move him, they should.

I can see him being taken by a team that either A) Has two or more waiver eligible defenders or B) A team that experiences some serious injuries on the back end. I just want it to happen... WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GET LEDDY AND BOYCHUK, ISLANDERS!?

I trusted you to do the right thing, Garth Snow.

I can see him being taken by a team that either A) Has two or more waiver eligible defenders or B) A team that experiences some serious injuries on the back end. I just want it to happen... WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GET LEDDY AND BOYCHUK, ISLANDERS!?

I trusted you to do the right thing, Garth Snow.

Well there's your problem

Edited by rrasco

I remember a rather extensive period of time here when half the people on this forum were as high or higher for Kindl as they seem to now be for Ouellet. But heading to the NHL and having to face that level of competition and pressure while continuing to grow is no easy task. I hope Ouellet works out a lot better, and he very well could and probably should, but I won't be shocked if he doesn't. We've seen days like this before, and we'll see them again. Prospects, no matter how promising, are just prospects until they prove they can really do it at the NHL level. You just can't put all your faith in them unless you're fine getting burnt at least half the time if not more.

I remember a rather extensive period of time here when half the people on this forum were as high or higher for Kindl as they seem to now be for Ouellet. But heading to the NHL and having to face that level of competition and pressure while continuing to grow is no easy task. I hope Ouellet works out a lot better, and he very well could and probably should, but I won't be shocked if he doesn't. We've seen days like this before, and we'll see them again. Prospects, no matter how promising, are just prospects until they prove they can really do it at the NHL level. You just can't put all your faith in them unless you're fine getting burnt at least half the time if not more.

And according to the scouting department, Anderssen has better hands than Franzen...

Its not like Kindl is in his mid thirties,, he is 27, and he had a good season just 2 years ago. I'm sure there is a GM out there out of the 29 other teams that see's some potential in him and thinks that he could succeed in their system. It just takes 1 GM, hopefully for us we find him.

I dont blame Holland for keeping Kindl on the roster. His stock wont drop an lower in a few games, but if he plays well, it could rise. Its like the stock market, you want to sell high, and buy low.

I guess an optimist would look at this clusterf*** of a situation and say “Hey, It’s cool that we have this 21 year old, future top 4 D man that’s already good enough to play in the NHL. And what’s that? There’s at least two more? Sweet”.

Some of the people losing their s*** over Ouellett’s demotion were the same posters who were cautioning the rest of us to not over-rate the prospects.

Thing is, Kindl always had question marks over his play in the AHL, I remember he was -33 or somesuch one year, and he never put up big numbers like Kronwall did despite being an "offensive" defenceman. His NHL career is pretty much what could be predicted from his play in the minors.

Oullet is 21 and playing like a man already. People are high on him for a reason. Not to mention we have 5 (FIVE!) top D prospects who all run out of waiver exemption in 2 years, at the same time. We need to start feeding them into the NHL now, as and when they become ready.

And if we can't trade Kindl for a 7th and eating half his salary, then waive him, maybe we'll get lucky and someone will pick him up. If not, he'd be a good 3rd pairing defenceman in Grand Rapids.

Thing is, Kindl always had question marks over his play in the AHL, I remember he was -33 or somesuch one year, and he never put up big numbers like Kronwall did despite being an "offensive" defenceman. His NHL career is pretty much what could be predicted from his play in the minors.

Oullet is 21 and playing like a man already. People are high on him for a reason. Not to mention we have 5 (FIVE!) top D prospects who all run out of waiver exemption in 2 years, at the same time. We need to start feeding them into the NHL now, as and when they become ready.

And if we can't trade Kindl for a 7th and eating half his salary, then waive him, maybe we'll get lucky and someone will pick him up. If not, he'd be a good 3rd pairing defenceman in Grand Rapids.

Wow, yeah, I didn't know that - he's been a minus player 5 out the 7 years of his pro career and was -34 in his first year in GR. Ouch.

I never heard Kindl was all that hyped - I'm not questioning that he was - he was a high draft pick. Must have not been around this cite at that point

There are a lot of teams in the bottom half of the league with a ton of cap space that I think could possibly be interested. I may be naïve or hopeful, but I think Kindl would be an upgrade to a lot of teams bottom pairings around the league. He isn't a terrible defenseman and a change of scenery may be just what he needs. If we can get a late round draft pick for him and get Ouellet in the lineup, I'd be happy.

There are a lot of teams in the bottom half of the league with a ton of cap space that I think could possibly be interested. I may be naïve or hopeful, but I think Kindl would be an upgrade to a lot of teams bottom pairings around the league. He isn't a terrible defenseman and a change of scenery may be just what he needs. If we can get a late round draft pick for him and get Ouellet in the lineup, I'd be happy.

I think he'd be fine on a team that let him be offensive all the way. He can skate and shoot. He's just no good in Babs' system because Babs' doesn't want offense out of his defense...he wants a very particular type of offense (the kind Kronwall, Lids, and Rafalski provided). That's why Kindl struggles, and that's why Smith often struggles.

If he played a wide open, run and gun, style of hockey I'd take Kindl. Someone like Tampa or Carolina would treat him well.

Edited by kipwinger

I think he'd be fine on a team that let him be offensive all the way. He can skate and shoot. He's just no good in Babs' system because Babs' doesn't want offense out of his defense...he wants a very particular type of offense (the kind Kronwall, Lids, and Rafalski provided). That's why Kindl struggles, and that's why Smith often struggles.

If he played a wide open, run and gun, style of hockey I'd take Kindl. Someone like Tampa or Carolina would treat him well.

Kindl's problems aren't just offensive. It might be able to overlook them if he were putting up a ton of points, but he still has serious defensive issues. He will bail out of a play to avoid getting hit. He still makes questionable decisions around his own net for someone with his level of experience. He's too quick to chip it off the glass and give the puck up instead of making a play. And he doesn't use his considerable size at all.

I've said this many times before but Kindl is 6'3" and 216 lbs. The only people bigger than him on the Wings are Franzen and Ericsson. You'd never guess it by looking at how he plays.

Yes a run and gun system might be a better fit for him, but he still needs to be better at getting the puck out of his own end. With someone who is as skilled as he is, his first pass should be his strength but it isn't.

He also had a stretch where he was among the best at the team in getting shots through from the point, but that has inexplicably evaporated. Kindl has many lingering issues with his game, and it's not because of a defensive scheme Babcock is employing. It has to do with lack of hockey sense and heart. He's a tools but no toolbox guy.

Kindl's problems aren't just offensive. It might be able to overlook them if he were putting up a ton of points, but he still has serious defensive issues. He will bail out of a play to avoid getting hit. He still makes questionable decisions around his own net for someone with his level of experience. He's too quick to chip it off the glass and give the puck up instead of making a play. And he doesn't use his considerable size at all.

I've said this many times before but Kindl is 6'3" and 216 lbs. The only people bigger than him on the Wings are Franzen and Ericsson. You'd never guess it by looking at how he plays.

Yes a run and gun system might be a better fit for him, but he still needs to be better at getting the puck out of his own end. With someone who is as skilled as he is, his first pass should be his strength but it isn't.

He also had a stretch where he was among the best at the team in getting shots through from the point, but that has inexplicably evaporated. Kindl has many lingering issues with his game, and it's not because of a defensive scheme Babcock is employing. It has to do with lack of hockey sense and heart. He's a tools but no toolbox guy.

I completely agree. I wasn't suggesting he doesn't have serious issues. I was just suggesting that in a system that allowed him to skate with the puck would ease some of the pressure coming on the forecheck (which I agree is his biggest weakness). It seems like in Babs' system they don't want the defensemen skating the puck up the ice. Watch us play and anytime the defense gains possession of the puck he stops, allows the forwards to regroup, and then they move the puck up the ice as a five man unit. I don't have a problem with this, but it does force the defensemen to make stationary passes, which in turn leaves them vulnerable to a strong forecheck. Obviously Kindl isn't good at this, so he struggles. He'll never be great, but I do think he'd be better in a system that allowed him to skate and make plays up the ice rather than wait and be exposed to the forecheck.

I completely agree. I wasn't suggesting he doesn't have serious issues. I was just suggesting that in a system that allowed him to skate with the puck would ease some of the pressure coming on the forecheck (which I agree is his biggest weakness). It seems like in Babs' system they don't want the defensemen skating the puck up the ice. Watch us play and anytime the defense gains possession of the puck he stops, allows the forwards to regroup, and then they move the puck up the ice as a five man unit. I don't have a problem with this, but it does force the defensemen to make stationary passes, which in turn leaves them vulnerable to a strong forecheck. Obviously Kindl isn't good at this, so he struggles. He'll never be great, but I do think he'd be better in a system that allowed him to skate and make plays up the ice rather than wait and be exposed to the forecheck.

I think DD and Smith have been praised for their ability to skate the puck out so I don't think this is necessarily a situation where Kindl is just doing what he is told. Kindl doesn't have the strength to stave off forecheckers in the corner and skate out with the puck - that is his problem (in my opinion).