• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

How different things could have been

Rate this topic

I was looking through a scrapbook I had from when I was in grade school, and I came across this newspaper article. My apologies if its hard to read.

To read that the logical person to trade is Yzerman in 2014 seems crazy. I wonder what the late 90's/early 2000's would have been had we traded him.

photo.jpg

Edited by kliq

Unreal. Nice find. I wonder if this was around the time Bowman was trying to trade Yzerman for Yashin?

What’s crazy to me is imagining Yzerman as a "run-and-gun" player. He definitely did an amazing job in the 2nd half of his career cementing his legacy as a Selke-type guy.

Also, Bob Duff!!

Edited by rick zombo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Yzerman trade rumors hit their peak in the summer of 1995?

Not sure. I was like 11 then. Would make sense, since the Wings got embarrassed in the Finals and were likely willing to explore options to put themselves over the edge. They might have figured Fedorov was the future of the franchise and was ready to take over for Yzerman. Yashin would have been a lot younger than Yzerman and was another Russian. Like I said, I don't remember, but I can see the thinking there at the time.

The most common rumors were Yzerman for Yashin or Martin Straka. Either would have been a disaster.

It's fascinating to think how much one move would affect the future... had Bowman gotten his way and moved Yzerman, I don't think the Wings would have won any Cups. Maybe one... maybe. Or, had Walter Gretzky not told Wayne to go to LA, Wayne would have listened to his wife and come here to Detroit. (We had a whole thread on that topic, so I won't rehash it.) I think the Wings would have won a couple Cups sooner than '97. But, in either case, the future of the franchise would have been greatly changed. For the better? Worse? Who knows...

Don't feel bad. I remember trade rumors involving Yzerman for Lindros when Eric refused to play for the Nordiques. Yes, I'm THAT old.

I don't remember those rumors, but I went to high school with Lindros (Farmington HS) when he was holding out from the Soo and played for Compuware.

I don't remember those rumors, but I went to high school with Lindros (Farmington HS) when he was holding out from the Soo and played for Compuware.

It was back when Lindros' Score rookie card (pictured as a junior player before entering the league) was selling for $8-10 at shows.

image2671.jpg

Meanwhile this rookie card of a slightly more successful and decorated player can be purchased on eBay today for a mere $0.99. (Lucky me, I own literally 30 of these).

1991-92-Upper-Deck-Niklas-Lidstrom-26.jp

Anyhoo, sorry for the thread hijack.

It just seems so hard to believe that there was a time that Yzerman was considered a guy who was a good player, but couldn't lead his team through the playoffs. I was only 14 at the time so I really didnt look at things with the perspective I do now, I can only imagine the frustration in '96 amongst management losing in the playoffs after the record setting season they had. Luckily they stuck with him and were rewarded with 3 cups in the next 6 seasons.