• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

more NHL wisdom: Chris Pronger may work for Dept of Player Safety

Rate this topic

I thought you had to play a certain number of games in the regular season or at least one game in the playoffs to have your name on the cup.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you just have to be on the active roster.

Nonetheless.

He's still being paid by the flyers, while being employed by the league.

You'd think that wouldn't fly.

Wait. Would he be able to just hop in the team for one Stanley cup game, play like 5 minutes of ice time so he can get His name on the cup? Or would the league not allow it? Since he's technically still on the roster, I would think he could do that, but then again the league would get so much s*** for that, so I don't know.

#1 Pronger wouldn't be able to suspend anyone...that is not his role...Quintal makes those decisions...all Pronger and other members of the department would be doing is reviewing incidents and offering opinions.

#2 Pronger would clearly have no input on anything to do with the Flyers.

#1 Pronger wouldn't be able to suspend anyone...that is not his role...Quintal makes those decisions...all Pronger and other members of the department would be doing is reviewing incidents and offering opinions.

#1 he has some input right ? The only good thing is, other players couldn't lie to him because he knows exactly what they were thinking since he's played over the edge more than a few times too.

#2 hopefully that's true

The problem with #2 is that there could be many games that indirectly impact the Flyers, especially as the season wears on.

Say there's a game late in the season and the Pens are playing Edmonton. Malkin throws a cheapshot and it actually gets reviewed and he could be suspended. The Flyers are in no way involved, but if it's a tight playoff race and the Penguins losing Malkin for a number of games could impact the Flyers playoff positioning.

I don't know that Pronger would actually let that influence his decision, but he is being paid millions of dollars by the Flyers. They've taken good care of him since his injury. Even if it's not conscious, there's probably deep loyalty there.

In my mind they should hire someone who has experience in medicine maybe even a degree and played on a higher level before. The only thing Pronger adds, is his ability to tell if the players are lying to him or not but other than that, he adds nothing.

Heck hire Stevens for all I care that guy was a vicious open ice hitter and I'm sure he would do a better job than Pronger, at least he isn't tied too much to the Devils.

It's like making Al Capone attorney general. While it we still have to see how the Department decides from now on, it's a bonehead decision. The judgments of the DoPS are controversial enough. If there is one person that only arouses the suspicion to be biased it wont help the DoPS and the NHL as a whole.

Transferred to the real judicial system Pronger would be a judge who has committed the worst crimes while also being a victim of them. He would be recused and rightfully so. By both parties.

A guy that stomped on another players leg and double teamed Homer is now going to be in charge of player safety????? WTF! \

AND the tried to hurt Stevie Y!

To clarify, he won't be in charge of Player Safety. That's still Quintal. He'll be part of the advisory panel.

But it's still pretty sketchy.

I can only imagine that they were sitting around discussing who would be great for the panel and Matt Cooke was suggested but unfortunately declined and then they flipped a coin to decide if they should invite Pronger or Neal.

IMO the logic is, hire dirty players to catch dirty players. Just like they hire cheats in Vegas to catch cheats in Vegas. It makes sense to me...

Pronger and Shanahan understand the physical game better than most and know when a player is just being physical or going too far.

If they hired a guy like Crosby everyone would have foam wrapped around them, and players would get a game misconduct for inflicting an ouchy to an opposing player.

I think that big guys who stood mostly clean during their career know a lot more about the rules and limits of a physical game than guys who obviously couldn't or didn't want to respect those rules. Let aside the aspect of a believable moral authority.

The cheats in Vegas comparison isn't the right one here. Those guys are hired because of their abilities and insider knowledge. The ability to run the Department of Player Safety isn't bound to you former status as goon. Knowing how to smash a head on the ice surface or stomping on a guys leg doesn't require any special ability nor knowledge that would qualify you over a guy who didn't do those things.

Edited by derblaueClaus

I am and was sad to see pronger go down. One of my favorite players besides anyone on the wings. While many complain he was dirty classless etc, hockey is and will be a sport of playing on the edge , he epitomized that for me

IMO the logic is, hire dirty players to catch dirty players. Just like they hire cheats in Vegas to catch cheats in Vegas. It makes sense to me...

Pronger and Shanahan understand the physical game better than most and know when a player is just being physical or going too far.

If they hired a guy like Crosby everyone would have foam wrapped around them, and players would get a game misconduct for inflicting an ouchy to an opposing player.

The NHL.

Nerf hockey league.

Eveyerone wears a one piece body suit over their pads made of the most dense nerf foam.

The NHL.

Nerf hockey league.

Eveyerone wears a one piece body suit over their pads made of the most dense nerf foam.

Penalty for getting too close to a player, goalies are allowed to be slashed, shoved and hacked away at in order to score though. Refs cannot call penalties against Pittsburgh