• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

10/9 GDT : Bruins 1 at Red Wings 2.

Rate this topic

Mule was Mule Smith was good Jimmy was there when needed and I liked all 4 lines im I know its one game but im positive about this season guys this team looks like it could go strong Z and Franzen together are great and than when Dats gets back? holy s*** I think we could finally sepreate z and D

Nice win! Great way to kick off the season. Franzen was terrific -- I have to give him credit because he was fully engaged.

I love having Smith and DeKeyser together. They complement each other really well as a pairing. I held my breath every time Quincey and Kindl were out there, but it's worth the price to have Smith with DeKeyser instead. Hopefully Kindl is just holding Ouellet's spot anyways, though I didn't think Kindl was all that bad tonight.

Jimmy was very strong in the third. People would have been all over his case (deserved or not) had the Bruins tied the game, so props to Jimmy for holding the lead.

Not much to complain about, but not much to get super excited about either. There were definitely some pleasant surprises, but it's the first game of the season and Boston was pretty clearly not on their game.

Howard played well though which is a big plus, and I'd say his ability to lock it down and stay focused despite not getting much work made him a big part of this win, despite people wanting to blame him for E's stupid mistake.

Very encouraged by Smith's play.

No 3rd period meltdown.

Defense actually looked pretty solid relative to what we're working with. With E back in the lineup and Smith and Dekeyser improving, having Kindl in the lineup to start this season really isn't a huge blow. Sure, it'd be better to have Ouellet, but if Kindl can do anything to make him even slightly tradable to start things off, it'd be ideal. We're much stronger in the top 4 then we were down the stretch last year, and that helps more than just a little.

It'll be interesting to see what changes Babcock makes to the lineup. Weiss has got to crack it sometime soon, right? Will Kindl play until he's traded or waived so as to try and get someone interested in him?

Solid at all ends of the ice. We out hit the Bruins. When the Wings play with intensity and physical good things always happen

As much as I hate Kindl if he can stop being so indecisive while moving the puck up ice and not be such a liability for turnovers it would be huge for this team because he has good offensive instincts with the puck in the opposing zone

Edited by joesuffP

I am not beyond giving jimmy his due. He made some big stops when needed. Hopefully this is a sign of a better season from him.

It'd be great on so many levels if he had a big season. First, obviously, it's going to be necessary down the stretch to win with this team. We're going to face much tougher tests than we did tonight and Howard has to be better than he was last year. But also, and I mean this as no slight at Howard, but if he can elevate his game again and put himself among the top goalies in the league, which he's capable of, it'd set the stage for him to be the best trade bait we've had in a long, long time should we decide to go with Mrazek next year.

I've got nothing against Howard at all, and I'm cheering for him and I expect that he'll have a better year. Part of me would hate to see him go, but if Mrazek is the real deal and ready to take over, one of them has to be moved, and Mrazek has far more years ahead of him, and some think he's the better goalie. Howard couldn't make the team out of training camp until the Wings were out of options, so despite him only being here five years, he's already 30, whereas Mrazek is 22 and likely could roll into the starting job now if we needed him to.

We've got too many other holes to warrant having two well above-average starters around, and Howard could be a key piece in a trade this off-season to fill one. I expect Mrazek to get more opportunities to play this year whenever Monster or Howard are out with injuries. If he has a strong season in the AHL and fills in well on call ups, you have to imagine Holland will be entertaining the idea of moving Howard this summer to land an impact player. Again, we just haven't had this good of trade bait in a long while. The best we had in the recent past was Flip, and I think Howard's a much higher profile player.

So I'm really, really, really, really, really hoping Howard has a really strong season! If you like him, you should be pulling for him. If you don't like him, you should be pulling for him all the more. There is absolutely no logical reason for there to be any Jimmy Howard hate on this forum this season.

And before anyone asks:

CLAUSES: NMC (through 2014-15); NTC (2015-16 through 2017-18; player can supply 10-team no-trade list)
Edited by gcom007