• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ash11

Jeff Petry; trade between us and oilers

Rate this topic

Well looking at the Oilers their biggest problem save for coaching seems to be the defense, so I doubt they'll trade him.

Well they traded their best defender last season so why not now... you never know the depths of idiocy that the oilers will sink to.

When I noticed Stuart was playing for Colorado I wondered why we didn't target him. He left for non-hockey related issues.

Many around here have said that Stuart has been very good since we traded him.

Edit: Oops, that was supposed to be: "hasn't been very good." I was meaning to give a possible reason why we didn't show interest in bringing him back.

Stuart was great while here and it seemed strange to me as well.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Many around here have said that Stuart has been very good since we traded him.

He was very good before he left too. He had a couple costly turnovers in the playoffs before he left, which everyone blew out of proportion, and so he's not looked upon favorable in hindsight. By every standard he was an exceptionally good investment during his time with the Wings.

Guest Praying Mantha

He was very good before he left too. He had a couple costly turnovers in the playoffs before he left, which everyone blew out of proportion, and so he's not looked upon favorable in hindsight. By every standard he was an exceptionally good investment during his time with the Wings.

Left Handed Defenseman. He fits in perfect!

Oops, I meant to say that other have said that his game has fallen off since he left here.

Loved Stuart while he was here. Never wanted him to leave.

Guest Playmaker

He had to leave because of custody issues with his teenage step daughter (wife's ex wouldn't let daughter live out of state, so his wife and two sons had to live in California year round) That is why he wouldn't re-sign with the Wings. I believe she is of legal age now, which is what enabled him to leave the Sharks. I liked him while he was here, but I don't think he is what the Wings need at this point in time. Nick Lidstrom made many other defenseman look better than they actually are.

He had to leave because of custody issues with his teenage step daughter (wife's ex wouldn't let daughter live out of state, so his wife and two sons had to live in California year round) That is why he wouldn't re-sign with the Wings. I believe she is of legal age now, which is what enabled him to leave the Sharks. I liked him while he was here, but I don't think he is what the Wings need at this point in time. Nick Lidstrom made many other defenseman look better than they actually are.

Yeah, I agree that Stuart isn't what we need right now - we need an offensive Righty. But the Lidstrom comment seems a little misplaced because I don't really think Stuart ever really played with Lidstrom. He was almost always with Kronwall.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Now I'm sad remembering the days of the Kronwall-Stuart pairing. What a hell of a second pair. Stuart took a lot of flak for that turnover that ended the series back a few years, but he had a very good playoffs other than that. Stuart was a hell of a defender for us and really made us hard to play against. If we lack anything on the blue line it's a Prime Kronwall-Stuart pair.

I think the DeKeyser - Smith second pairing is really solid and a decent comparison to a Kronwall - Staurt second pairing. The problem is that a Kronwall - Ericsson first pairing does not compare at all to a Lidstrom - Rafalski first pairing...

Did anyone think Luongo would go to Florida?

Yep, he's got history there, they've got great weather and a much better team right now than Deadmonton.

Plus be was abused quite a bit more on his old team than Weiss has been here.

Yep, he's got history there, they've got great weather and a much better team right now than Deadmonton.

Plus be was abused quite a bit more on his old team than Weiss has been here.

It was more a statement of him going from a cup contender to a bottom feeder that I was referring to. History or not, he won't ever win a cup there.

I like what our blue line has shown through these first four games. I like this emphasis on low-event hockey. I like the emphasis on structure and set plays. I like that every player seems to know what he's doing, what he'd like to do next, and what he'll do if things don't go according to plan. I like that when something does go wrong and the puck ends up in our net, it's because of a simple turnover, so all Babcock has to say is "That? Don't do that." I like that the D are jumping into the attack, that we're showing some physicality in our end, that The Forbidden Play - the breakout pass through the middle of the ice - seems to be throwing off the opposition. I like that we're no longer an adventure in our end, that we've calmed down, matured, grown, flat-out improved.

I also like Jeff Petry. But when I look at our blue line...to me, it doesn't scream "Could really use Jeff Petry." I think he'd settle in as a good #3 or #4, and, frankly, that's not what we need. Certainly not if it costs us Helm. His shortcomings are familiar to us - mental lapses in the d-zone, soft plays, inconsistency. He was a strong possession player last season, basically serving as Edmonton's #1 defenseman, but I don't know if adding him moves our needle closer to true Cup contention.

Good point to consider, but Q has been better lately (I haven't seen tomight's game yet, but it's on the dvr). I just hope there isn't a trade just to make a trade a la Paul Holmgren.

He has. But, trading for Petry would be exactly what your saying though. A move for the sake of making a move. This team won't be much better if it happens.

Bumping this up because the Oilers most recent struggles have gotten people calling for changes there.

I wonder if a straight up swap for Kindl would bring Petry to Detroit?

Kindl is obviously the Wings most expendable Dman. Yes, I know that Lashoff is lower on the depth chart, but Lashoff gets paid peanuts to fill in for a short term injury or someone struggling. With everyone healthy and/or performing up to snuff, Lashoff is a healthy scratch doing whatever Derek Meech and Jakub Kindl did in the same spot in years before. No sense in having Kindl occupy that spot when he could be traded for something, or a young guy who would be better served dressing every night in GR than sitting out in Detroit.

For Detroit, they finally get a RH shot dman. One who comes without the steep payment, long expensive contract and inconsistent record like Meyers, and without the injury history and most likely overpayment for what could be a rental in Mike Green. Yes Petry would be a rental too, but for much cheaper. There's a good chance he would stick around if he works out too. He's from Farmington Hills, and he played with Abdelkader at Michigan State. If he doesn't work out, they can let him walk as a UFA, which opens a spot for a UFA or to promote Ouellet next season.

For the Oilers, they get something that is much more valuable to them than other teams at this point... A warm body on the blue line for atleast another season. It's no secret that good UFA's don't want to go to Edmonton, and that Petry will have a new address next October. Just look what they had to do to get NIKITA NIKITIN... They dumped off a pick to get his rights and then signed him for $4.5mil a year... They also had to overpay to get MARK FAYNE. Kindl gives them a decent Dman, who still may have some upside for a reasonable cap hit without overpaying. In retrospect, Kindl is a much better return than they got for Smid, who is arguably a better player than Petry. For reference, Smid fetched them a middling late round goalie prospect and a mediocre Euro prospect who has already bolted for the KHL... If Kindl isn't exactly what they want or need, he's atleast serviceable and would give them a trade chip to use on what they want in the offseason.

In reality though, I'm betting MacT will hang on in hopes that Petry's numbers will look better at the deadline, so he can ask an Andrew McDonald like kings ransom in exchange...

You know, at first I was thinking there's no way in hell the Oilers would want a player like Kindl on their team.

And then I look at Justin Bourne's systems analyst of how Justin Shultz, the pariah that the Wings supposedly missed out on a few years ago plays in the defensive zone (link here: http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/648986), and I start to wonder whether even Kindl could be a difference-maker there. At the very least Kindl knows how to play positional hockey.

Anyway, it also makes me wonder whether Shultz would even be in the lineup if he was with Detroit. Babcock doesn't exactly have a reputation for tolerating defensive gaffes.

Although I'm probably being overly critical of Shultz, seeing as how I'm basing the majority of his defensive ability on this one play. I don't watch the Oilers so if anyone who has more experience with how he (or they collectively) play, feel free to chime in.

I can understand that trading for Petry has an inherent risk but it would have to come at a better price than the other talked about option of Tyler Myers. We would have that out with Petry's contact ending

The idea of Petry himself is fine, but I'm not sure he fits this team unless someone else goes with Kindl. The whole point of moving Kindl at this point is to make room for XO. Outside of Kindl, I don't really have a legitimate gripe about how anyone on the defense has played. If it ain't broke...