• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

roboturner

LGW Moderator Problems

Rate this topic

I'll throw in my two cents. I think the moderating has been more heavy-handed the past year- both for the better and for the worse.

One change I do not like is the recent emphasis on managing/limiting the number of threads. While it wasn't the greatest to read a new thread each week from BlueAdams (is that poster still here?) on line combinations, it did allow me to easier sort/comprehend the topics. I remember new threads on signings/trades being discouraged during free agent frenzy and the trade deadline, and I found it hard to participate in the discussions when the thread are too long to follow and make an informed post.

I remember new threads on signings/trades being discouraged during free agent frenzy and the trade deadline, and I found it hard to participate in the discussions when the thread are too long to follow and make an informed post.

This is exactly what I want to change. I have no problems at all with trades/signings having their own threads. Doesn't matter if it fills up the front page because the ones that are deemed comment-worthy float to the top, anyway.

Matt, just one question? Can you bring back any of the following posters?

Mindfly,

Jake Ryan

Carman

E_S_A_D

Micah

Crymson (no, seriously)

GordieSid&Ted

Miller Brew

stinkyfishtaco

fat guy in a maltby jersey

+1

I miss the villains/foils/heels (you may call them trolls) that kept things interesting and entertaining. It seems much more serious and a bit neutered lately. The curse filter added to that sentiment too, but of course the state of the team hasn't helped either.

Edited by kook_10

I'd have to think back on the posts I've deleted to see if something like that would work.

For editing, as I said it's for profanity or personal attacks or something that does not belong in any thread. I never edit a post because part of it is off topic but otherwise within forum rules.

Looking through the recent deleted posts, they're all things that we wouldn't be split into a new thread, like insults, but in the right instance I guess it could work. It's definitely something we've done in the past, it just doesn't seem that often that a thread splits into clear enough, substantial enough topics to split. But it's something we could keep in mind.

fellow mods?

The only topic threads change into in my experience is Franzen/Cleary/Holland/Babcock hate or the jarnkrok trade or losing hossa

This is OT- feel free to move or delete my post- but has there been any thought to condensing the forum sections? Something to consolidate the prospects/minors sections and the non-hockey sections. I'm partially to blame in that I rarely venture outside of the general discussion section, although I am interested in the other topics.

This is OT- feel free to move or delete my post- but has there been any thought to condensing the forum sections? Something to consolidate the prospects/minors sections and the non-hockey sections. I'm partially to blame in that I rarely venture outside of the general discussion section, although I am interested in the other topics.

There is a prospect section and lots of other sections.

The only issues I have are the fairly consistent "This is MY plan for the Year", "This is MY draft plan", "This is MY off-season plan" threads from literally the same people each and every year. (Richdg, blueadams, etc)

I think it's awesome that these people have put in the time to think this stuff up and get excited about it. I really do. But it's the way they try and get their point across and the accompanying attitude.

Instead of "hey lets create a thread to discuss the off season" its "hey read my essay about my jumbled thoughts and you're foolz if you disagree!!".

Because usually what's at the core of their thread is a good discussion piece, but because of the way the topic was framed, it turns into a child-like war.

Otherwise LGW and the people responsible for running it are awesome.

My 2 things I want changed and nothing to crazy is I want the censorship gone. I know it got really bad at one point and it probably was after a season ending loss if I recall? Doesn't matter but in my opinion the language isn't bad now. Also I am not sure when this was changed but I wish when you quote someone it says there username again. Or is there a certain way to quote? I see it shows in some and some not now that I look at it closely.

Nevermind on the quote thing, it's my Firefox doing that haha :P

Edited by HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

I really miss negs. I was less tempted to respond to trolls when I could just neg it. Being able to disagree quietly was a great feature.

When used as you did to quietly disagree, it is a nice feature.

Unfortunately people started abusing it by searching back through members post histories to neg hundreds of posts and rack up a major negative number. A handful of people did the same thing for liking posts, which is almost equally lame, but I guess less insulting.

Please let's tread very carefully here. The topic is Ozzie's 2008 performance and how it affected Babcock's image. This will not become another "Ultimate Goalie Thread."

Really?? 17 posts into a thread thats wasn't even off topic and you're posting warnings?

You guys take this s*** way too seriously

Really?? 17 posts into a thread thats wasn't even off topic and you're posting warnings?

I'm suprised it took 17, just kidding :P

I wish there was better way of saying there been a warning in the topic without putting it in the title. Looks so bad imo.

I wish there was better way of saying there been a warning in the topic without putting it in the title. Looks so bad imo.

I know, I went in there expecting a bloodbath only to find a civil discussion.

It's a disscusion board, let people have a discussion.

I'm mean sure, if it turns into a omnivore vs vegetarianism fight in an Osgood thread that's off topic. But comparing '2008 Osgood' to '2008 other goalie' in a "2008 Osgood" thread doesn't really merit a pre-empive warning with all the bells and whistles.

I know, I went in there expecting a bloodbath only to find a civil discussion.

It's a disscusion board, let people have a discussion.

I'm mean sure, if it turns into a omnivore vs vegetarianism fight in an Osgood thread that's off topic. But comparing '2008 Osgood' to '2008 other goalie' in a "2008 Osgood" thread doesn't really merit a pre-empive warning with all the bells and whistles.

I was reading that thread today. I saw a post or three that started to look like it was going to go the "ultimate goalie thread" way. I even sighed out loud. It was just a warning to keep it on track for what the thread was. Without that warning, that thread could shift to "ultimate goalie" to "goalie crapfests", on to "NHL award robberies" and right over to "Worst Long John Silver Locations" after another 20 comments. Threads can get derailed fairly quickly. If you look, you'll see that I don't have a huge number of posts. That's because I know that my "special" brand of sarcastic humor is not always received well. I'm cool with that. The mods have stuff to do, and I tend to think they do a fine job. I'm okay with what happens. I've read posts and gone back to find them not there anymore. I don't think any of mine have actually been deleted, though. In essence, I don't really have anything to add to this discussion.

If you only knew how many goalie threads were created, turned to crap, were constantly cleaned up and were eventually deleted, you'd understand. You also don't know what, if anything, was removed from the topic prior to the advisory being issued.

I agree it isn't optimal, and if you have another suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it.

Agreed.

It's ugly, but effective.

In the past we'd post warnings but after a while it would get buried in the thread (especially if it's a GDT), some people wouldn't see it and would do the things the mods specifically warned about.

It's really just an attempt to make sure you guys are aware of the warning, like posting them in blue.

Can I take it back to when the political thread was still around? ;)

This is one beef I have. I wish the politics forum were still around. But, after talking with more than one mod via private message, I can understand (though not necessarily agree with) their reasoning for shutting it down.

Oh well. They do a great job with this site, and it's a pretty small thing to complain about.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Not sure what's happening there, Robo, but maybe a pm would be a good way to resolve your issue. Maybe a pm to a Mod. I've had a couple deleted, but I deserved it. Others were deleted at the same time. Also, maybe you could look at what you posted and try to figure out what the difference is between you and the others. No matter which way you go, posting that one line looks like a big whinefest.

I see you guys are back to deleting my posts, meanwhile the "in" clique can post whatever the hell they want

I see you had exactly one post deleted from the Coyotes GDT that was part of a number of off-topic posts that were deleted regarding trolling/not trolling. And the problem is?

I see you had exactly one post deleted from the Coyotes GDT that was part of a number of off-topic posts that were deleted regarding trolling/not trolling. And the problem is?

I pointed out that the mods were letting it go for a couple pages and it got deleted. Or was it a different topic? Either way it wasn't ment in a bad way, was just shocked it was going like that for so long.