• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

roboturner

LGW Moderator Problems

Rate this topic

When it's 4+ pages of team bashing and complete nonsense, absolutely. Directly from the forum rules.

· DO post constructively. If you can't add anything meaningful to a discussion, don't bother.

While we have the small handful of posters here that seem to have issues with how things are handled, I guarantee you we have a much bigger concern from posters that think we are entirely too lenient and have expressed to us in PM about leaving this site because of how toxic the GDT becomes, and how X poster is entirely too argumentative and aggressive in their posting style and no longer want to be involved with this community due to these people. Its a two way road, but the majority that send us messages is out of concern about things not being moderated enough and the things we often let slide. If you could only see my PM box and weigh out the positives against the negatives, it may give you a better perspective.

A lot of great members, boosters, and moderators have been chased away from this site from a few of the same very people that are critical of the moderation staff that generally find their way out eventually anyway. The minority of the community feels like the moderators are pushing people away, but the majority feels it is the aggressive and confrontational posters. This is a fact that any member of the staff here would easily back me up on, including Matt.

So I support what the staff does, if threatening to close a GDT after receiving a handful of reports about how out of hand it is getting in the thread to level things out and return it back to game discussion instead of post after post of "This team sucks" "F*** this team" "What a joke" is a big concern of yours, in which the GDT was never, nor has it ever been locked in the middle of any game ever on this site, feel free to send a PM to Matt and we can look into overturning that comment in the now entirely irrelevant GDT.

I've said this time and time again, no forum in the history of the internet's existence has ever had a moderation staff that 100% of the community is content with. It's impossible to please everyone in any scenario like this. It really comes down to how much of it really bothers you and if it's that important to you to be a determining factor if you stay here as a part of the community or take your leave.

If a poster is "too argumentative or aggressive" for somebody's taste then why doesn't that person utilize the 'ignore' feature? Problem solved.

And why would 'team bashing' be against the rules? Perhaps the team deserves bashing... If you're only going to allow non-negative posts and this team continues it's downward trend, you're not going to have any posters left. Imagine if the fans in Edmonton or Toronto or Buffalo weren't allowed to be negative in any way....

Also, you can quit pretending you want the site to feel like this...

I'd like to think of this place as a virtual sports bar, with each of you pulled up on your own stool, with a cold beer in your hand and a hearty rant about the values of CORSI and Jimmy Howard's SV% on Saturday afternoon games during Leap Years when Mike Emrick is calling the game and Babcock is wearing his McGill tie at the tips of your fingers. Don't take it too seriously, and enjoy it in a manner that contributes to make the site better for everyone.

Is that too much to ask?

...because you really don't. I can guarantee you that if there were even just twenty people sitting in a bar watching our latest playoff games, you would have heard the phrases "This team sucks" "F*** this team" "What a joke" from multiple people at multiple times. If you don't want to hear or read things like that then you'll either have to watch all the games on the campus of an Ivy League school (where those phrases probably wouldn't be used by some one with a bigger vocabulary that the average LGW contributor) or you can watch the game by yourself.

"This team sucks" or "Errosion again!!!" is probably people's honest assessment of the situation and I'd rather have that than nothing. At least I'd be able to see if anybody else agrees with me or if they don't. After all, isn't that the point of forming an online community?

Edited by roboturner

There is a massive difference between being negative and being senselessly profane persistently, over and over. I know a circular conversation when I see one, and we can go back and forth about this for weeks and never find common ground, which i'm not interested in doing. I'll gladly remain civil, and answer questions, and address what I can, but i'm not going to debate the same point any deeper into the ground than it's already been pounded down into. You know the stance, you can disagree with it all you want to, that's your own opinion and prerogative. That's the point of this thread.

Feel free to continue using this thread as a place to vent, and we will consider all of it constructively and continue to work towards making this place the best we can for the majority.

If a poster is "too argumentative or aggressive" for somebody's taste then why doesn't that person utilize the 'ignore' feature? Problem solved.

And why would 'team bashing' be against the rules? Perhaps the team deserves bashing... If you're only going to allow non-negative posts and this team continues it's downward trend, you're not going to have any posters left. Imagine if the fans in Edmonton or Toronto or Buffalo weren't allowed to be negative in any way....

Also, you can quit pretending you want the site to feel like this...

...because you really don't. I can guarantee you that if there were even just twenty people sitting in a bar watching our latest playoff games, you would have heard the phrases "This team sucks" "F*** this team" "What a joke" from multiple people at multiple times. If you don't want to hear or read things like that then you'll either have to watch all the games on the campus of an Ivy League school (where those phrases probably wouldn't be used by some one with a bigger vocabulary that the average LGW contributor) or you can watch the game by yourself.

"This team sucks" or "Errosion again!!!" is probably people's honest assessment of the situation and I'd rather have that than nothing. At least I'd be able to see if anybody else agrees with me or if they don't. After all, isn't that the point of forming an online community?

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with everything here, but I did want to point out something in your post. You don't hear people say the bolded part about the Red Wings in Detroit. We tend to say things like "godam Smith" or "ugh wtf was that Hank" .. but "this team sucks" is a rarity when it comes to the Detroit Red Wings. And on the few occasions that it has happened I've made sure to tell off the guy ;). I don't take s*** from others about the Red Wings whether they a fan or not and tons of people have that mentality around here. Now the Detroit Lions on the other hand... that's another story.

And as a season ticket holder I can also guarantee you that no Wings fan speaks poorly of the team in JLA. There was a couple times where they had some boos towards the end of the season losses. But that's as far as it goes.

So yeah in the bar setting the negativity is always there which I agree with you. But at the same time, in a Detroit sports bar watching the Detroit Red Wings? No you won't find very many that take it as far as "THIS TEAM SUCKS" <--- That only happens on this website and HFboards and Hockeyfights.com

Edited by kickazz

Hometown fans booing their team is pretty much the equivalent of someone saying 'this team blows'

A minor booing for about 10 seconds in maybe 2 games. While the rest of the 80 games and upto 3 periods in 2 games of nothing but chanting. The team isn't the Toronto Maple Leafs and the fans definitely are more respectful than theirs are. The point is around here folks talk about the team sucking almost all of the 82 GDTs in season plus playoffs made here and in no bars in Detroit Michigan will you find people yelling that the team sucks unless some dude is really hammered and hates his life because he's going through his 5th divorce because his wife found someone else. Or something.

I'm just pointing out what the bars in Detroit, Michigan are like when it comes to the Red Wings. It's a great atmosphere. It's nothing like the LGW toxicity. So if the mods want to specify and say "A typical Detroit sports bar" that would probably make more sense for them. I'm sure there's other sports team cities that have much less love for their team and one would likely find more "this team sucks" statements over in those cities. But around here where I live (next to Downtown) you won't find it.

Edited by kickazz

I understand that. But I'm saying perhaps the mods want to clarify what type of "sports bar environment" they mean. The culture around Detroit is a very very positive when it comes to the Red Wings than the non Detroit people might expect. Maybe that's where the miscommunication is.

*shrugs*

Who knows.

Edited by kickazz

I understand that. But I'm saying perhaps the mods want to clarify what type of "sports bar environment" they mean. The culture around Detroit is a very very positive when it comes to the Red Wings than the non Detroit people might expect. Maybe that's where the miscommunication is.

*shrugs*

Who knows.

But but but according to everyone else and I mean literally everyone else. No one lives in that s***hole Detroit anymore.

But but but according to everyone else and I mean literally everyone else. No one lives in that s***hole Detroit anymore.

Lol, like who? You should educate them. Some folks still live in a box and ignorant to whats going on in the real world maybe. :lol::lol::lol:. Every city has it's bad neighborhoods and Detroit nor Chicago or New York are exceptions. Downtown and Midtown (where the new Wings arena is) Detroit are some of the most luxurious and expensive places to live especially around Riverfront (where the JLA is located). They recently announced a $1 billion dollar MLS stadium. Lots of folks don't have an idea that there's actually two new stadiums opening here.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/2016/04/27/mls-soccer-detroit-gilbert/83593500/

Anyways that's off topic but that's a start to get you some info. Come to Detroit someday - we'll show you a good time.

Edited by kickazz

Lol, like who? You should educate them. Some folks still live in a box and ignorant to whats going on in the real world maybe. :lol::lol::lol:. Every city has it's bad neighborhoods and Detroit nor Chicago or New York are exceptions. Downtown and Midtown (where the new Wings arena is) Detroit are some of the most luxurious and expensive places to live especially around Riverfront (where the JLA is located). They recently announced a $1 billion dollar MLS stadium. Lots of folks don't have an idea that there's actually two new stadiums opening here.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/2016/04/27/mls-soccer-detroit-gilbert/83593500/

Anyways that's off topic but that's a start to get you some info. Come to Detroit someday - we'll show you a good time.

They say it's a s***hole because it went bankrupt mainly. I haven't been to Detroit in about 12 years now.

When it's 4+ pages of team bashing and complete nonsense, absolutely. Directly from the forum rules.

· DO post constructively. If you can't add anything meaningful to a discussion, don't bother.

While we have the small handful of posters here that seem to have issues with how things are handled, I guarantee you we have a much bigger concern from posters that think we are entirely too lenient and have expressed to us in PM about leaving this site because of how toxic the GDT becomes, and how X poster is entirely too argumentative and aggressive in their posting style and no longer want to be involved with this community due to these people. Its a two way road, but the majority that send us messages is out of concern about things not being moderated enough and the things we often let slide. If you could only see my PM box and weigh out the positives against the negatives, it may give you a better perspective.

A lot of great members, boosters, and moderators have been chased away from this site from a few of the same very people that are critical of the moderation staff that generally find their way out eventually anyway. The minority of the community feels like the moderators are pushing people away, but the majority feels it is the aggressive and confrontational posters. This is a fact that any member of the staff here would easily back me up on, including Matt.

So I support what the staff does, if threatening to close a GDT after receiving a handful of reports about how out of hand it is getting in the thread to level things out and return it back to game discussion instead of post after post of "This team sucks" "F*** this team" "What a joke" is a big concern of yours, in which the GDT was never, nor has it ever been locked in the middle of any game ever on this site, feel free to send a PM to Matt and we can look into overturning that comment in the now entirely irrelevant GDT.

I've said this time and time again, no forum in the history of the internet's existence has ever had a moderation staff that 100% of the community is content with. It's impossible to please everyone in any scenario like this. It really comes down to how much of it really bothers you and if it's that important to you to be a determining factor if you stay here as a part of the community or take your leave.

SO MUCH THIS. I cannot begin to tell you how turned off I have been by the aggressive negativity. And that's the difference. Constructive criticism? Well thought out critiques of the team? I'm all for it. But the constant BARRAGE of violent negativity and "f*** you if you don't think this is the worst s*** EVAAARRR" attitude to those of us who either are trying to find a silver lining or just DON'T GET THAT FRICKING WORKED UP is *ridiculous*. Some of the people that post here seem to be really miserable, unhappy people. That's not the rest of our faults. So you feel censored? Too bad. Because I feel ******* *assaulted* when I read some of these bulls*** rampages that get away with not only hostility toward the team but frequently sexism, racism, and homophobia to boot.

So you see, it's all about balance. The mods aren't here just to please you. They're here to try and balance what posters like myself want as well.

Seems like the ..... PC police has finally found their own mod lately, funny very funny hopefully this site doesn't turn into the HFboards or NHL.com dictationship-mode.

Now people are expected to know what words should/shouldn't be in the filter even more funny.

There is literally no way you could possibly think that your one post, of 6,400+ was appropriate and shouldn't have been moderated. If you don't understand that, we can readjust the profanity filter, make it translate to Bab**** going forward if we can't be mature enough to know the difference between a coach's name and a different context that is entirely out of line and inappropriate. Let's be logical here.

If this rule really needs to be explained, outside of a last name, like Babcock, or the reference of a male chicken, any other context of that word, and actions involving that word, are against the forum rules and considered circumventing the filter.

· DO refrain from using vulgar language. There is a curse/bad word filter currently on the forum and members that purposely attempt to circumvent this filter will be subject to a suspension of account privileges.

There is literally no way you could possibly think that your one post, of 6,400+ was appropriate and shouldn't have been moderated. If you don't understand that, we can readjust the profanity filter, make it translate to Bab**** going forward if we can't be mature enough to know the difference between a coach's name and a different context that is entirely out of line and inappropriate. Let's be logical here.

If this rule really needs to be explained, outside of a last name, like Babcock, or the reference of a male chicken, any other context of that word, and actions involving that word, are against the forum rules and considered circumventing the filter.

· DO refrain from using vulgar language. There is a curse/bad word filter currently on the forum and members that purposely attempt to circumvent this filter will be subject to a suspension of account privileges.

would have absolutely zero problems with it since almost everyone calls him Babs anyways.

Well to be completely honest I fully expected the word to be filtered, anyhow you've made your point I've made mine I got my warning time to move on. I'll just say this: expecting people to know which words should and shouldn't be filtered is like asking whats on page 120 of the phonebook.

I came to check on the arena name thread after a few days, and it's closed!

Y'all have gotten out of control with this. Do the moderators/administrators even want people to post here anymore? I know the site is already a shell of its former self, are you trying to finish it off?

I came to check on the arena name thread after a few days, and it's closed!

Y'all have gotten out of control with this. Do the moderators/administrators even want people to post here anymore? I know the site is already a shell of its former self, are you trying to finish it off?

You have NO idea what you missed.

Be assured, that no Italians were harmed in the making of the arena. Everyone else, apparently, had coronaries.