• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

Joe Louis Arena to be Demolished

Rate this topic

Meh. The Joe is a dump. I disagree about there not being a bad seat in the house. I don't really associate the good memories of the Stanley Cup winning teams with the building itself. It's not like the Joe was Olympia or anything.

You think there is a bad seat? I'll bet you a pair of tickets you won't find one seat with an obstructed view, no poles or signs blocking your view of the ice from the nose bleeds to the front row in any section.

I hate how little respect they have in this country for stadiums and history. Maybe it's because the country hasn't been around for as long as others. A few years ago, Yankee Stadium was demolished. Boston Garden was demolished in the 90's. How can you get rid of those stadiums and all the history associated with that?

In Europe, the most famous soccer stadiums have been around over 50 years. Some stadiums in England have been around over 100 years. Yes, those stadiums undergo massive renovations and look nothing like they did 50 years ago, but at least they're still there. When people go to those games, they can say they're in the same stadium so and so used to play at.

I know things are done differently here, but I'm not a fan of tearing the JLA down.

I am shocked. Is this a serious post by you???

I tend to agree with you, actually. Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium, and the old Olympia should never have been torn down. At the very least, they could have been preserved and reused like the Montreal Forum (now a Canadiens-themed shopping complex in the original shell) and Maple Leaf Gardens (now a multi-purpose building in the original shell as well).

The Joe is not one of those old historic 1920s "cathedrals of hockey" like I mentioned, though. Its a late 70s dump.

Guest DeGraa55

You think there is a bad seat? I'll bet you a pair of tickets you won't find one seat with an obstructed view, no poles or signs blocking your view of the ice from the nose bleeds to the front row in any section.

I guess every stadium I've been to can say there isn't a bad seat then

I agree there are no obstructed views, but their are definitely bad seats. Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final in 2008 (the game that went 3OT) I sat in the very back (section 226B) its the section with the ceiling. Everytime a got up to cheer I almost hit my head (I am 6'2) and a few times I put my hands in the air to cheer and I accidentally smacked the ceiling. Other then those seats....I agree.

I've only been to a handful of Wings games at the Joe and most of them were before I moved to New York City.

I'm planning on going to a few Isles games as it's the last year in the Coliseum.

So, I definitely need to make it back "home" to the D and see the Wings in the Joe before it goes.

It's going to suck to see the Joe go down but at the same time it desperately needs it.

I just hope that the new arena has three things: wider/bigger seats, better bathrooms, and a couple of new Stanley Cup banners!

Add me to the list of wanting to pick up a couple of seats too, they'll look nice in the man cave next to the Silverdome seat I have.

I am shocked. Is this a serious post by you???

I tend to agree with you, actually. Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium, and the old Olympia should never have been torn down. At the very least, they could have been preserved and reused like the Montreal Forum (now a Canadiens-themed shopping complex in the original shell) and Maple Leaf Gardens (now a multi-purpose building in the original shell as well).

The Joe is not one of those old historic 1920s "cathedrals of hockey" like I mentioned, though. Its a late 70s dump.

I am serious. If we tear down every stadium after only 30 years of existence, then we won't have any more Boston Garden, and Montreal Forum type places. You can't create historic stadiums if you only keep them around a few decades. The JLA would have history if it was allowed to stand.

Guest Playmaker

It's like saying a 78 Pacer is a classic car just because you got laid in it. The teams were great, the building sucks.

It wasn't even intended to be a hockey building. Coleman Young threw up a quickie building to try and keep the Pistons from leaving Cobo, but they went to the Silverdome anyway. Then he had to beg the Wings to move there so he wouldn't have this huge new arena sitting empty. It's not a classic building by any stretch of the imagination. Even if they didn't tear it down, it's still would suck.

It's like saying a 78 Pacer is a classic car just because you got laid in it. The teams were great, the building sucks.

It wasn't even intended to be a hockey building. Coleman Young threw up a quickie building to try and keep the Pistons from leaving Cobo, but they went to the Silverdome anyway. Then he had to beg the Wings to move there so he wouldn't have this huge new arena sitting empty. It's not a classic building by any stretch of the imagination. Even if they didn't tear it down, it's still would suck.

Look at this from an architectural point of view....

ok6go.jpg

It looks like some nondescript warehouse.

Here's the Olympia having more charm even after being abandoned for several years....

OlympiaStadium18.jpg

I am dreading the commercials that will run before the final game at the Joe. The last season the Tigers were at the Stadium, they ran these great nostalgic tv spots that would turn me into a blubbering mess every time I saw them. This is going to be FAR worse.

Guest Praying Mantha

I am dreading the commercials that will run before the final game at the Joe. The last season the Tigers were at the Stadium, they ran these great nostalgic tv spots that would turn me into a blubbering mess every time I saw them. This is going to be FAR worse.

FSD girls are pretty choice, tho.

Guest Praying Mantha

I'm not sure what this has to do with my nostalgic blubbering, but ok.

*shrugs*

They're in the commercials. Sorry, Bottle.

They're in the commercials. Sorry, Bottle.

Not these ones they won't be. This will be sweeping shots of Stanley Cup wins, slo mo shots of epic moments in Red Wing History, Franzen NOT being lazy and sucking, Lidas, Eyezerman, and no shots of us almost but not quite winning the Cup in 2009. Someone will need to hold me.

Am I the only one who remembers those Tigers commercials?

Meh. The Joe is a dump. I disagree about there not being a bad seat in the house. I don't really associate the good memories of the Stanley Cup winning teams with the building itself. It's not like the Joe was Olympia or anything.

Have you sat up by the organ? (Is it even still there?). This was in the late 80s but I went to a game and we had seats right by the organ player, which wouldn't have been bad, except the pitch of the stadium gets much less steep and you were tucked back in this weird sort of corner area. At least that's how I remember it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about or did I invent this?

Overall though I agree the Joe has great sight lines. I have tons of good memories there. That being said the place is ugly and a dump. And a poor utilization of that location.

As fond as I am of it when I think of historic stadiums, I don't think of the Joe.

It's sad, but being able to go to the bathroom, go get a beer, and still make it back to your seats in between periods will ease the pain.

It's sad, but being able to go to the bathroom, go get a beer, and still make it back to your seats in between periods will ease the pain.

I agree, I usually eat before I leave, then use the bathroom at Cobo before and after the game. I think out of all times I've been to the Joe, I've used the bathroom there twice. Other then going down to ice level for warmups, I stay in my seat the entire game.

I will miss the place, great memories, and there will never be as good of a view from the 2nd level ever again, but it's time.

Even if the Joe is a dumb by nowadays standards think about all the all time greats, who've gone through this door (the captain, Lidström, Dominator, Hossa...), all the cups and the end of the dead wing era. I think it will be a sad day once the Wings leave and hopefully everyone can take their seat back home.

Not these ones they won't be. This will be sweeping shots of Stanley Cup wins, slo mo shots of epic moments in Red Wing History, Franzen NOT being lazy and sucking, Lidas, Eyezerman, and no shots of us almost but not quite winning the Cup in 2009. Someone will need to hold me.

Am I the only one who remembers those Tigers commercials?

Ya but the fsd girls are choice. Lol.

Seriously though I may cry if Cleary is in the commercials.

Guest Playmaker

I dunno, since the original FSD girls left for greener pastures, the ones from the minors haven't quite measured up. I couldn't get past the one who said "It's the Tigers "verse" the Indians" Not that they are there to be grammatically correct, but...

Can't say as though those commercials get me teary eyed, but it is cool to look back and relive the memories. I think that's what some of the fans don't get, is that it's tough to win. They aren't going to be able to compete for the Cup every single year. That's what makes those times all the more special.

As far as there not being a bad seat in the Joe? Those nosebleeds up in the corner do have some obstruction in places, also those new "first row" seats that they've tried to squeeze in might be close, but the vertically challenged can barely see over the glass. For the handicapped, the accessibility was horrible. For anyone over 6 ft. tall, going to a game at the Joe was like sitting on an airplane. I don't think the steps are up to code. The concourse was a nightmare. The bathrooms, the food, the suites. As I said before, I don't equate the success of the Red Wings and the memories with the actual building structure.

So where do I pick up my free tickets? ;)