• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

Joe Louis Arena to be Demolished

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

I don't think that'll be the case. Obviously, they will go up some. But the increased revenue from the suites, selling corporate sponsorships, etc, will offset the costs. Being able to drink a few beers, still use the restroom and not miss any game action: Priceless.

It's sad to see it go.

I'm really shocked that everyone here, although we love the Wings so much, are willing to see the JLA go so that Detroit can move forward.

I hope they develop it into something awesome. It's sacred ground, it deserves something good.

The Joe is absolutely a dump, but it's ours, so you still love it. It's like when people rag on the city of Detroit. I do it too in jest, but when someone else does it, you right away come to the city's defense.

I don't know that I will necessarily miss the outdated features of the Joe whatsoever, though there's still something redeeming about going there and experiencing a game (especially in the playoffs). I'm 6'3" so I will be thankful for any seating where my legs aren't numb while attending a game.

I guess more than anything I just have a ton of great memories from my childhood and growing up watching the Wings at the Joe. You can take those along to the new arena, but it is a little sad that the Joe won't be there at all in a few years.

Edited by GoWings1905

I'm glad to see the building go. Yes, there have been plenty of memories and great players, but that happens at most arenas. At some point, the building becomes outdated and renovation is not feasible. There's no real way they could widen the seats and add leg room without gutting the whole bowl. Can't expand the concourses either. The sad part, to me, is that the Joe is less than 10 years older than the Palace, but they're light-years apart as far as arena quality.

Everything about the new arena says it'll be done correctly, and that's really exciting.

My first NHL game and first Wings games were at the now Honda Center because I could't even get close to landing a ticket during those 97' and 98' seasons (spring break trips to SCal during college got me my first NHL games). My first game at the Joe was in 99'. It didn't matter to me that the place was a dump even at that time, because it was the home of the Wings (although you could argue the The Pond was a Wings home game when they were in town).

If you ever went to the Toledo Sports Arena to watch the Storm, then you could kind of compare the arenas going from ECHL to NHL as the same. Horrible bathrooms in which you either pissed in the trough urinal or there was always some guy pissing in the sink.

Hint...If you want to take a piss, grab a beer and make it back in time before the intermission ends, then hit the portos in the smoking area..just saying. Extra advice... park on the Cobo roof and you'll be in and out in about 10 minutes.

Yeah, I'm still going to miss the Joe.

Even if the Joe is a dumb by nowadays standards think about all the all time greats, who've gone through this door (the captain, Lidström, Dominator, Hossa...), all the cups and the end of the dead wing era. I think it will be a sad day once the Wings leave and hopefully everyone can take their seat back home.

Interesting that you chose to go with Hossa there after Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Hasek... considering the plethora of other, seemingly more appropriate options you had to choose from.

My first NHL game and first Wings games were at the now Honda Center because I could't even get close to landing a ticket during those 97' and 98' seasons (spring break trips to SCal during college got me my first NHL games). My first game at the Joe was in 99'. It didn't matter to me that the place was a dump even at that time, because it was the home of the Wings (although you could argue the The Pond was a Wings home game when they were in town).

If you ever went to the Toledo Sports Arena to watch the Storm, then you could kind of compare the arenas going from ECHL to NHL as the same. Horrible bathrooms in which you either pissed in the trough urinal or there was always some guy pissing in the sink.

Hint...If you want to take a piss, grab a beer and make it back in time before the intermission ends, then hit the portos in the smoking area..just saying. Extra advice... park on the Cobo roof and you'll be in and out in about 10 minutes.

Yeah, I'm still going to miss the Joe.

Every game ive went to, be it lions, tigers, wings, or even the toledo storm(walleye) There's always at least one butthole peeing in the sink.

And the Toledo sports arena was one of, if not the darkest and dankest, grungiest, and most poorly built arena I've ever been in.

Even the home locker room was tiny, the visitors was so small there was at least five kids/young men literally getting dressed standing in their own bags, and the bathroom wasn't connected to the room so If you had to go before you were fully suited up you walked half nekked past the concessions to get there, and one of the locker rooms was so far away from one that you walked around a quarter of the building to get there..

The ice was always soft, the benches had splinters big enough to Pierce through gloves, and the penalty box was so effing small there wasn't room to have someone man the door if there happened to be two or more people in the box.

Insulation and other random debris would fall out of the rafters,

And no joke, the ice in the corners were so bad, sometimes there would literally be a gap so big between the ice surface and the kick plate that play had to be stopped to dig the puck out by hand.

You had to be carefuk going behind the nets not to get too close to the boards because your skate blade would get caught in the moat mid stride.

Ha.

I know the Joe is no gem, or architectural marvel, but comparing it to that frozen trash heap, is kind of insulting.

Not to mention the seats were basically kid sized wooden lawn chairs that were Bolted to the floor.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Every game ive went to, be it lions, tigers, wings, or even the toledo storm(walleye) There's always at least one butthole peeing in the sink.

And the Toledo sports arena was one of, if not the darkest and dankest, grungiest, and most poorly built arena I've ever been in.

Even the home locker room was tiny, the visitors was so small there was at least five kids/young men literally getting dressed standing in their own bags, and the bathroom wasn't connected to the room so If you had to go before you were fully suited up you walked half nekked past the concessions to get there, and one of the locker rooms was so far away from one that you walked around a quarter of the building to get there..

The ice was always soft, the benches had splinters big enough to Pierce through gloves, and the penalty box was so effing small there wasn't room to have someone man the door if there happened to be two or more people in the box.

Insulation and other random debris would fall out of the rafters,

And no joke, the ice in the corners were so bad, sometimes there would literally be a gap so big between the ice surface and the kick plate that play had to be stopped to dig the puck out by hand.

You had to be carefuk going behind the nets not to get too close to the boards because your skate blade would get caught in the moat mid stride.

Ha.

I know the Joe is no gem, or architectural marvel, but comparing it to that frozen trash heap, is kind of insulting.

Not to mention the seats were basically kid sized wooden lawn chairs that were Bolted to the floor.

I didn't try to infer that the Joe was as much of a dump as the Sports Arena. I guess it was more about the feeling you got walking through the Joe or the Sports Arena. Dark and grungy compared to the other arenas.

LOL, I forgot how much of dump the Sports Arena was. That had to have been the worst ECHL venue when the Storm played their last season there. Yeah, they couldn't tear that place down quick enough. The Huntington Center is so much better.

Edited by Vladiator