• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwingsfan83

Weiss

Rate this topic

Guest Praying Mantha

Even just 5 games in, it's getting tough for me to see where Weiss is going to slip into the line-up, barring any injuries. 1st and 4th lines are performing very well, The Kid line just looks snakebitten, but they're getting chances. 3rd line could use a boost, at times. Nestrasil shows flashes on one play, then shows some growing pains the next, IMO. I wonder about Helm's health... he seems a step off to me right now. Really, once Datsyuk gets back, I have no idea where and when Weiss gets to jump in.

Having Joker as the 4th line RW has allowed him to slot into C on the 2nd PK unit, which as a whole, has been fantastic. I had very low expectations for Andersson, but I have to admit, he looks much faster and is doing some solid work on the 4th line and PK.

The only thing thats awesome about not having a spot for Weiss is that it means we are 1 more spot removed from having a spot for Cleary. In short, we are healthy.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Mantha

Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Helm-Glendening-Nestrasil

Miller/Andersson

Kronwall-Smith

DeKeyser-Quincey

Ericsson-Kindl

Lashoff

Howard

Gustavsson

That's probably the optimal line-up when everyone is healthy. The Cleary signing is so stupid. Why not just give him 2.5 million to be cheerleader? He's an albatross right now.

The only thing thats awesome about not having a spot for Weiss is that it means we are 1 more spot removed from having a spot for Cleary. In short, we are healthy.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Mantha

Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Helm-Glendening-Nestrasil

Miller/Andersson

Kronwall-Smith

DeKeyser-Quincey

Ericsson-Kindl

Lashoff

Howard

Gustavsson

That's probably the optimal line-up when everyone is healthy. The Cleary signing is so stupid. Why not just give him 2.5 million to be cheerleader? He's an albatross right now.

What about Abby?

When Dats comes back, I bet you will see Jurco move back down to Grand Rapids.

Agreed. I fully expect healthy lines to look something like

Franzen-Z-Gus

Abby-Pav-Tatar

Sheahan-Helm-Nestrasil

Miller-Glendening-Andersson

Until Weiss proves that he's still a better option that Nestrasil at which point hopefully Helm moves to wing and Weiss can center the third line.

Guest Praying Mantha

What about Abby?

Damn. Knew I forgot someone. Nesty or Jurco need to go down. Jurco more than likely die to waiver exemption.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen

Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist

Helm - Weiss - Abby

Miller - Glendening - Andersson

I think long term we should try to break Weiss in as 3C and have Z and Dats together to improve longevity. Mix and match the wingers as you like. 4th line has been fine.

Guest Praying Mantha

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen

Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist

Helm - Weiss - Abby

Miller - Glendening - Andersson

I think long term we should try to break Weiss in as 3C and have Z and Dats together to improve longevity. Mix and match the wingers as you like. 4th line has been fine.

I like this line up, but I'd prefer our youngsters over Miller and Andersson. Nesty and Jurco are faster and have more goal scoring ability.

I like this line up, but I'd prefer our youngsters over Miller and Andersson. Nesty and Jurco are faster and have more goal scoring ability.

But miller and Andy are huge reasons that our pk is perfect.

And the fourth line has been amazing.

I'd much rather see Jurco here, but in all honesty, more time in gr could do wonders for him.

I think they'll have to waive cleary, because something tells me someone would claim nestrasil.

At least, I hope they'd waive cleary.

Nestrasils not great, but he's muchhh better than danny, and he's only going to get better.

I'd hate to lose him for nothing.

He's made some mistakes, but he's big, strong, decently fast, heavy on the puck, and he's really good along the boards.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

But miller and Andy are huge reasons that our pk is perfect.

And the fourth line has been amazing.

I'd much rather see Jurco here, but in all honesty, more time in gr could do wonders for him.

I think they'll have to waive cleary, because something tells me someone would claim nestrasil.

At least, I hope they'd waive cleary.

Nestrasils not great, but he's muchhh better than danny, and he's only going to get better.

I'd hate to lose him for nothing.

He's made some mistakes, but he's big, strong, decently fast, heavy on the puck, and he's really good along the boards.

100 agree jimmyemeryhunter I cant believe most ppl are wanting to have miller and andy off that forth line when it has been amazing so far I don't want that line messed with when there isn't nothing wrong with it remember if ant broke I would assume though someone needs t be moved to lighten the load which is why if everyone continues to play as they have I would be ok with moving Weiss if he wanted to waive the trade clause and if we could package him and kindl for a good top 4 d man hell yea that gives us a win/win both ways keeps a strong forward lineup and a good defensive lineup you might even beable to sneak Ouellete in there too to get him to play as well than you couldn't imagine the progress

Edited by sjr2012

Guest Praying Mantha

100 agree jimmyemeryhunter I cant believe most ppl are wanting to have miller and andy off that forth line when it has been amazing so far I don't want that line messed with when there isn't nothing wrong with it remember if ant broke I would assume though someone needs t be moved to lighten the load which is why if everyone continues to play as they have I would be ok with moving Weiss if he wanted to waive the trade clause and if we could package him and kindl for a good top 4 d man hell yea that gives us a win/win both ways keeps a strong forward lineup and a good defensive lineup you might even beable to sneak Ouellete in there too to get him to play as well than you couldn't imagine the progress

Yup. Miller and Andersson have been red hot. If they can keep up their flaming, blazing scoring rampage, they'll each be 0/0/0 +/- 0 by year's end. 5 games in and neither has hit the score sheet. I'm all for some good pk minutes, but the Wings need some more offense.

Guest DeGraa55

Weiss and kindl WILL NOT GET US A TOP DEFENSMAN.

Remember smith and dekeyser would be just fine as a number teo(or one since they're actually the two best right now). So you only make a trade for someone to pair with kronwall(preferably a righty) and there just isn't anyone out there.

Besides something I've also been saying since last year. A top six scoring winger is more important than a defenseman right now.

THE DEFENSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

You ideally get a top six winger. Why? Someone might ask. Well what's better Cleary or Weiss or someone else in the top six? Ideally Franzen z and nyquist stay together as well as the kids for the third(Tatar Sheahan jurco). Leaving dats and no one for the second. So if you add a scoring winger with days then you can plug whoever else in there as the third maybe Abby for the size or move Tatar or jurco there and put mantha on the third(when healthy).

Which then makes our fourth better with helm miller Anderson and glendening fighting for the three spots.

Also if z and dat are gunna be spit up and give us a 1a 1b Weiss has no business ever being on the team again unless he could play wing.

Edited by DeGraa55

Weiss and kindl WILL NOT GET US A TOP DEFENSMAN.

Remember smith and dekeyser would be just fine as a number teo(or one since they're actually the two best right now). So you only make a trade for someone to pair with kronwall(preferably a righty) and there just isn't anyone out there.

Besides something I've also been saying since last year. A top six scoring winger is more important than a defenseman right now.

THE DEFENSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

You ideally get a top six winger. Why? Someone might ask. Well what's better Cleary or Weiss or someone else in the top six? Ideally Franzen z and nyquist stay together as well as the kids for the third(Tatar Sheahan jurco). Leaving dats and no one for the second. So if you add a scoring winger with days then you can plug whoever else in there as the third maybe Abby for the size or move Tatar or jurco there and put mantha on the third(when healthy).

Which then makes our fourth better with helm miller Anderson and glendening fighting for the three spots.

Also if z and dat are gunna be spit up and give us a 1a 1b Weiss has no business ever being on the team again unless he could play wing.

I agree so than what do we do with him and would it be smart to just trade him away from a pick if we cant get a least a decent return on d for him

Yup. Miller and Andersson have been red hot. If they can keep up their flaming, blazing scoring rampage, they'll each be 0/0/0 +/- 0 by year's end. 5 games in and neither has hit the score sheet. I'm all for some good pk minutes, but the Wings need some more offense.

ok so they haven't been SCORING but sometimes you take what you can get glendening has a goal so far and could have had another against any other goalie last night who wasn't named Beriner truth is I like how well they have played so far and am willing to give that line the benefit if they continue to be Aces on the P ill however I agree we need more offense but hopefully when Dats gets back we can get some lines adjusted for that and who knows maybe Mantha might still be an option however I doubt we pull off getting any top 6 forward in a trade

Edited by sjr2012

All I want to know is this:

1. Who the hell does Alfredsson play with when he comes back?

2. How is Cleary going to get those 10 games?

3. Why hasn’t Quincey sucked yet?

Ottawa for a day

in jan

shh don tell him

When your fourth line is going against the oppositions top line and generating steady pressure against them, you have a good thing.

They don't need to light it up, theyre not supposed to be scorers, secondary scorers, or even need to be tertiary scoring.

They just need to chip in everynow and then, which if they continue to play the way they are, they will score some.

Guest DeGraa55

All I want to know is this:

1. Who the hell does Alfredsson play with when he comes back?

2. How is Cleary going to get those 10 games?

3. Why hasnt Quincey sucked yet?

Well he could be our trade deadline acquisition and play with dat and jurco or something then mantha Sheahan and Tatar can be third!!!

O wait that wouldn't work cause wed have ummm Weiss Abby cleary glendening miller helm Anderson and nestrasil all for the fourth...THANK YOU HOLLAND.

Ideally you have Abby helm glendening as your fourt Anderson and miller bench so the rest need to go(with Alfie back and dat/Franzen and everyone else healthy).

I thought this thread was about Weiss . Yes he looked like a duck out of water. He wasn't really good at handling the puck and created a turn over basically every time he touched the puck. I'm hoping that he will get better. I'm still optimistic about him.

I thought this thread was about Weiss . Yes he looked like a duck out of water. He wasn't really good at handling the puck and created a turn over basically every time he touched the puck. I'm hoping that he will get better. I'm still optimistic about him.

I'm sure he will, he hasnt played in almost a year, and even when he played a year ago he was rusty from missing half a season the previous year.

LOL, I dont think its possible for there to be a thread on this board where the names Cleary, Quincey, or Kindl are not brought up.

Guest Praying Mantha

Weiss doesn't give us anything to talk about!

The only reason I can think people would want to break them up right now was If they're not actually watching them play, and just looking at the stat line.

I get that they seem like the clear cut choice to replace with someone like pulkkinen, but if they keep playing the way they are there is absolutely no reason to change the makeup of that line.

Injuries would pose a new problem with it, then I could see trying a scorer on one of the wings, but they're getting quality chances while shutting down top lines, which means our three scoring lines get more favorable assignments.

And The only way kindl and Weiss would get us a top 4 d man is if that package included a high pick and/or one of our d prospects, and wed have to eat salary.

And weiss' value is so low right now,

It'd be best just to let him get back into the flow of things enough to where we wouldnt be stuck paying half his salary just to get someone to take him.

He willget better, he may not be what he once was, but his value is at an all time low right now.

I really hope he bounces back into the second line center he was supposed to be, or at least becomes serviceable, Cuz that contract would handcuff us pretty damn bad in the future if he doesn't work out at all.

Maybe if the injuries affected him so much for the future that we could stash him on ltir, ala pronger and philly.

But I don't see the league doing that again...

unless they planned to hire weiss, and he hasn't been important or dirrty enough to make him an asset in player safety, so I dont think that's an option.

Ha

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Here's the post I made in the Franzen thread regarding Weiss.

That's exactly what it isn't with Weiss. They've said numerous times that they're going to bring him along slowly. I agree he needs to get in some games as soon as possible but it definitely isn't a sink or swim situation. They're going to be patient with him. The guy just needs to get his confidence back up. That's just not going to happen playing third line minutes with non offensive linemates. He also needs to play the position he has played his whole career - center...
I can understand Weiss being rusty from his time off, but I don't think we should handicap his performance based on his linemates. He's a 12 year veteran of the league and a professional athlete.
If you have Henrik Zetterberg coming off a long term injury, even if you put him on the 4th line on the wing, you're going to see flashes of Zetterberg. I realize not everyone is Hank, but look at Darren Helm. He came off a long injury but still looked like himself when he got back, just a slightly rustier version.
I don't know what's going on with the guy but I've seen none of that from Weiss.

I'm really starting to think that abdominal injury he was stuck with last year could have destroyed his career. I say this because i merely tweaked a groin muscle at work probably a year ago, and it was never the same. It makes you feel like you can't move in directions or ways you once could, and that strength you relied on to be agile is greatly reduced... jonathan cheecho I think had sports hernia surgies, and iirc Osgood did too. Neither of those guys were the same after.

I'm really starting to think that abdominal injury he was stuck with last year could have destroyed his career. I say this because i merely tweaked a groin muscle at work probably a year ago, and it was never the same. It makes you feel like you can't move in directions or ways you once could, and that strength you relied on to be agile is greatly reduced... jonathan cheecho I think had sports hernia surgies, and iirc Osgood did too. Neither of those guys were the same after.

This is a legit concern.

Any core muscle injury of magnitude can really make things messy.

Both Jonathan Bernier and Bobby Ryan had sports hernia surgery last year. If anyone has watched them play this year that might be a good comparison to see the effects of the surgery. Bernier looked really good in the game against us I thought.