• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Dan Rosen Pens a Great Piece on Babcock's Coaching Tree

Rate this topic

Just awesome as someone who hates change I have even more respect for him now. Love how he doesn't hold anyone back and still talks to his former collegues that's just great.

But man the media is starting to blow this stuff up, they're acting like he will be "the" UFA in 2015. The Crosby Babcock relationship and the Penguins grooming Botterill as the new GM - which will give Babcock more of a say than in Detroit - might be enough to get him there. He will walk from a situation with two elite centers to coach two other elite centers in their prime + Letang, Maataa and that upcoming Sundqvist kid.

The funniest part for me is how much the Leafs fans are underestimating the spending power of Mr. I - if they think he doesn't match a 5 mill per year offer they are just crazy. This owner is loaded with money, the Leafs aren't bidding against a bottom revenue or non fan owner driven here.

Guest Praying Mantha

Tony Granato knew it was a good thing to get some Babcock schooling, too. Babs is a good coach. I think the Wings should go up to 3 mil per and then let him walk. If he's going to ask for 5 mil+, just say good luck. He's good, but he's not Scotty Bowman. Scotty Bowman is worth a blank check.

Tony Granato knew it was a good thing to get some Babcock schooling, too. Babs is a good coach. I think the Wings should go up to 3 mil per and then let him walk. If he's going to ask for 5 mil+, just say good luck. He's good, but he's not Scotty Bowman. Scotty Bowman is worth a blank check.

There is no salary cap on coaches, if Babcock wants 5 + you pay it because everyone knows he is going to get the money no matter waht, the deciding factor will for sure be the chance to content annually(!) and more of a say in players decisions that's why I'm almost ruling out the Leafs, Shanahan and Babcock can't stand each other as far as I know.

He's good, but he's not Scotty Bowman. Scotty Bowman is worth a blank check.

He's probably the closest thing there is to a Scotty Bowman, though. That's the thing. Sure, let him walk, but whoever you replace him with, it's very likely that guy - bless his heart - is going to be a step down overall. Even if you remove actual coaching ability from the equation, you're losing a ton of institutional knowledge and, clearly, a vast network of contacts, connections. The man's almost a legend in an era where head coaches...well, there aren't many legendary types behind NHL benches these days.

Guest Praying Mantha

There is no salary cap on coaches, if Babcock wants 5 + you pay it because everyone knows he is going to get the money no matter waht, the deciding factor will for sure be the chance to content annually(!) and more of a say in players decisions that's why I'm almost ruling out the Leafs, Shanahan and Babcock can't stand each other as far as I know.

I get that. I just don't think he's worth 5 mil. Quenville and Sutter have 2 cups each recently. What are they getting paid? Why is Babcock worth double that? Let him walk if he's going to gouge the organization.

I get that. I just don't think he's worth 5 mil. Quenville and Sutter have 2 cups each recently. What are they getting paid? Why is Babcock worth double that? Let him walk if he's going to gouge the organization.

Personally I'm MORE impressed with Babcock's work of getting last years edition into the playoffs than with Quenville and his mini dynasty roster.

Losing Babcock means:

- you lose a huge and well connected network << stuff like this is sadly still heavily underrated

- the closest thing available to Scotty Bowman

- someone who is well respected around the league and has connections with superstars

Whoever the new guy is, he will have to create a network, earn the trust of the organization and his players plus the respect from the rest of the league. Don't get me wrong I think Blashill will be a good coach - maybe even a great one but that will take time, patience and some obvious growing pains. Also wouldn't it be nice if the Wings would again create another trend after front-loaded contracts ? As another big FU to the league and their salary cap and revenue sharing bs.

Rather have Babs than a pick

I was referring to all the assistant coaches that have been taken from us. Isn't there a new rule that would allow us to be compensated when an assistant gets hired to be a head coach somewhere else?

As stupid and simple that may read but...

to me a coach/player/scout is worth whatever the organization hiring these guys is paying them, because it means both sides were happy with the presented contact otherwise one of the two parties wouldn't have signed the dotted line.

Those two coaches have been blessed with far superior rosters to any Babcock has seen since 2009. I think Sutter is a good coach, but Q doesn't even get last year's Wings team into the playoffs if he's the coach instead.

that's easy if its Pittsburgh Stanley Cup(s)

What does winning a cup in Pittsburgh really prove though? They have won a cup before, and they are loaded with talent. I see him going there being similar to a Labron James situation, where rather then getting respect, people will say he just took the easy path. If he were to leave, I think it would do much more for his legacy to go and win a cup in a place that has never done it such as a San Jose or a St. Louis. Though, I think staying and doing it with a completely different generation of players in Detroit would be much more impressive.

You do whatever it takes to get him to stay. One thing that goes overlooked is babcocks development of these young guys. I don't think just any coach would have all these rookies stepping up, playing hard, smart and making an impact in such a short time and I would love to see what he can do with Mantha

You do whatever it takes to get him to stay. One thing that goes overlooked is babcocks development of these young guys. I don't think just any coach would have all these rookies stepping up, playing hard, smart and making an impact in such a short time and I would love to see what he can do with Mantha

I agree you do whatever it takes to keep him, but blashill has more to do with the development and preparation of the kids.

I'd honestly be okay if ilitch threw the checkbook to babs and blashill just to keep the system stable and on this course.give babs a little more power, like assistant or co-gm, or just add another fancy word like executive blahblah that way he's not just a head coach making a players wage.

Blashill is the extension of Babcock that has made our kids transition so smooth.

They have the same systems in place, he expects the same out of his guys, they're, IMO, the best pro coach/minor team coach tandem in sports.

They compliment each other perfectly, and I'd really like to keep it together.

Even if blashill ends up making the salary of an average NHL hc, its not like coaches $counts against the cap.

And in today's game its becoming glaringly obvious that the minor league affiliate is crucial to the teams success, but the hC gig in the big league is probably too appealing for him, honestly.

But it'd be awesome if he would just take the pay raise to stay on with gr.

Guest Praying Mantha

Babs needs to perform this year in the playoffs. His playoff record isn't super.

Babcock is a great coach, but do the players in Detroit still listen to his message? We see players all the time in all sports eventually tuning out when a coaches message gets stale.

I could see this happening maybe a couple years ago, or maybe a couple years from now, but right now a large chunk of our roster has only been playing in Babcock's system and listening to his message for a couple years, if that, so I doubt the message is stale on guys like Nyqvist, Tatar, etc. Maybe Datsyuk, or Zetterberg, or Kronwall, but these aren't exactly the types of players to turn a deaf ear to a coach, either.

For the record I think the Wings' solid start against legit Cup contenders and divisional opponents is a good indicator of the entire roster buying into the program.

Edited by Echolalia