• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jimmyemeryhunter

slava voynov suspended after domestic violence arrest

Rate this topic

Your wording kind of implies a desire to circumvent due process. Not certain you meant it that way.

Ya I probably might have worded it a little different then I meant for it to come off, but I was also angry that this is happening again, not just in the nhl but across the board and it's unacceptable. I hope he really is innocent, I do. I just have a weird feeling he isn't.

It was NOT a conclusion that surprised me.

English isn't my first language, I might have easily misinterpreted what Euro_Twins wrote (if I have, my appologies):

it sounds like 'it's a shame one is innocent until proven guilty'.

More or less, too many crimes get tossed because a piece of evidence wasn't filed properly or something like that. And too many stars get away with a slap on the wrist.

More or less, too many crimes get tossed because a piece of evidence wasn't filed properly or something like that. And too many stars get away with a slap on the wrist.

So I interpreted it correcly then...

You know, there are a few places on this planet, where (fortunately for you) it wouldn't not be a shame.

May be you should ckeck them out.

So I interpreted it correcly then...

You know, there are a few places on this planet, where (fortunately for you) it wouldn't not be a shame.

May be you should ckeck them out.

Oh come on. Do you really think that's what he meant? It may have been a poorly worded post, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that E_T isn't coming down on the side of "hey let's throw out due process for a grand ole time! It'll be a hootenanny!"

Oh come on. Do you really think that's what he meant? It may have been a poorly worded post, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that E_T isn't coming down on the side of "hey let's throw out due process for a grand ole time! It'll be a hootenanny!"

he does not have to...

it has been done. you failed to notice.

Keep in mind that I'm speaking as a woman.

Why on earth are these people (athletes) losing their jobs or getting suspended? They have been accused of crimes. They have been arrested. Charges are filed. Then they go to court.

Why are they getting suspended for SUSPICION of a crime? That's all it is until the person has his day in court. Until it is proven in court, it is an ALLEGED crime with an ALLEGED victim no matter how great the evidence.

If there is a conviction, they must face the consequences- legally, personally, and professionally. If there is jail time, they can be suspended as they will not be able to participate. In that case, their off-ice activities effect their ability to fulfill their contract and suspension makes sense. Otherwise, what they do off the ice (or field, depending on the sport) has nothing to do with their fulfilling their contract to play their game.

Suspending before the facts are in is nothing but public relations posturing and political correct nonsense.

Media attention and suspensions puts the spotlight on a family that is already dealing with issues. Is it really fair to them to aggravate what may very well be a dangerous, or at least tense, situation? It also deals a financial blow to the family. Granted, they probably make a lot of money and can afford suspensions, but in cases such as Rice, is it fair to his wife to remove her income before he goes to court? She married an NFL player with a big salary and now he's unemployed.

As a female, I find it appalling that the league steps into the situation before they have any idea what is actually going on. It sends the message that women can't take care of themselves. Let the family sort things out on their own. Let them get counseling for whatever issues led to the dispute. Let them have their lawyer get them through the legal issues. Leave them alone to sort through the aftermath. Adding the drama of the league stepping in only adds to the problems of the family, not just the player.

I'm not saying the domestic violence should be condoned or that the league should look the other way. I'm just saying that they should stay out of things until the accusations are sorted through and they have facts to deal with. Then they can enforce their rules knowing that they are doing the right thing.

I just feel bad for the wives and children. They have enough to deal with without all the rest of the world stepping in and trying to punish their man in the name of political correctness to assuage the talking heads in the media in addition to the legal and personal issues that they are already facing.

He's being paid still. There are several professions where some charges get you suspended with pay pending the investigation.

He's being paid still. There are several professions where some charges get you suspended with pay pending the investigation.

He's being paid for now. The league and the NHLPA have an agreement on this, fortunately. My comments on the financial issues were connected with the Rice case where his contract was terminated. I started talking about one thing (suspensions like this one) and moved on in my head to long-term suspensions/terminations such as the Rice case.

My apologies. I was terribly unclear and rambling.

He is being paid for this suspension at this time, but if his suspension extends beyond his contract, or if he is terminated (like Rice), his family would suffer financially.

Guest Playmaker

Keep in mind that I'm speaking as a woman.

Why on earth are these people (athletes) losing their jobs or getting suspended? They have been accused of crimes. They have been arrested. Charges are filed. Then they go to court.

Why are they getting suspended for SUSPICION of a crime? That's all it is until the person has his day in court. Until it is proven in court, it is an ALLEGED crime with an ALLEGED victim no matter how great the evidence.

If there is a conviction, they must face the consequences- legally, personally, and professionally. If there is jail time, they can be suspended as they will not be able to participate. In that case, their off-ice activities effect their ability to fulfill their contract and suspension makes sense. Otherwise, what they do off the ice (or field, depending on the sport) has nothing to do with their fulfilling their contract to play their game.

Suspending before the facts are in is nothing but public relations posturing and political correct nonsense.

Media attention and suspensions puts the spotlight on a family that is already dealing with issues. Is it really fair to them to aggravate what may very well be a dangerous, or at least tense, situation? It also deals a financial blow to the family. Granted, they probably make a lot of money and can afford suspensions, but in cases such as Rice, is it fair to his wife to remove her income before he goes to court? She married an NFL player with a big salary and now he's unemployed.

As a female, I find it appalling that the league steps into the situation before they have any idea what is actually going on. It sends the message that women can't take care of themselves. Let the family sort things out on their own. Let them get counseling for whatever issues led to the dispute. Let them have their lawyer get them through the legal issues. Leave them alone to sort through the aftermath. Adding the drama of the league stepping in only adds to the problems of the family, not just the player.

I'm not saying the domestic violence should be condoned or that the league should look the other way. I'm just saying that they should stay out of things until the accusations are sorted through and they have facts to deal with. Then they can enforce their rules knowing that they are doing the right thing.

I just feel bad for the wives and children. They have enough to deal with without all the rest of the world stepping in and trying to punish their man in the name of political correctness to assuage the talking heads in the media in addition to the legal and personal issues that they are already facing.

You should feel fortunate that you're so incredibly naive to the horrors of domestic violence. So women can defend themselves, but you're saying the league is trying to punish "their man"? Because, you know, they need his money and that lifestyle he provides. Nothing like contradicting yourself.

Yeah, poor Ray Rice, his life was ruined. You do realize that TMZ probably saved Janay's life, right? At the very least, they prevented a life of abuse for her and probably their daughter. They guy spit in her face and knocked her out and stepped over her like she was a piece of trash. Then he dragged her out of the elevator like she had inconvenienced him. You're upset he was cut? I don't even know what to say. Let me guess, she was probably asking for it, eh?

Guest DeGraa55

You should feel fortunate that you're so incredibly naive to the horrors of domestic violence. So women can defend themselves, but you're saying the league is trying to punish "their man"? Because, you know, they need his money and that lifestyle he provides. Nothing like contradicting yourself.

Yeah, poor Ray Rice, his life was ruined. You do realize that TMZ probably saved Janay's life, right? At the very least, they prevented a life of abuse for her and probably their daughter. They guy spit in her face and knocked her out and stepped over her like she was a piece of trash. Then he dragged her out of the elevator like she had inconvenienced him. You're upset he was cut? I don't even know what to say. Let me guess, she was probably asking for it, eh?

How did tmz save her life? She CHOSE to keep quiet and not let the truth out, which in turn led to the nfl debacle. Sshe is CHOOSING to stay with rice(suger daddy?). So how is it tmz is saving her life? Lol some people.

Wow, chill out. 55 fan in noway suggested what you've surmised. You obviously don't know her very well do you.

I want justice to be served. I just think all too often it isn't. Anyways this type of conversation can bring out a lot of anger in people (myself included) and I would like to step away from it, it seems as though a few people may have misinterpreted what I was saying, and I thank those of you who understood my poorly worded phrases and came to my rescue :)

I am Russian, so I'm sorry to see this happen to one of my countrymen. But I think the NHL handled this fairly. They are putting on an entertainment product, and Voynov's presence would be detrimental to selling their product to the public. So they removed him. It's a no-brainer business decision. He is being paid, so they are fullfilling their contractual obligations to him. If he is proven innocent, he goes back on the ice. If not, his contract gets voided.

Its fair.

I am Russian, so I'm sorry to see this happen to one of my countrymen. But I think the NHL handled this fairly. They are putting on an entertainment product, and Voynov's presence would be detrimental to selling their product to the public. So they removed him. It's a no-brainer business decision. He is being paid, so they are fullfilling their contractual obligations to him. If he is proven innocent, he goes back on the ice. If not, his contract gets voided.

Its fair.

Is this a provision in the new CBA? Can a contract be voided due to criminal conviction?

Guest DeGraa55

Is this a provision in the new CBA? Can a contract be voided due to criminal conviction?

The other leagues all have this I believe so the nhl should as well.

It should. In Germany the employer can void the contract pretty much immediately if the employee can't provide his labor due to his culpability, which is of course the case if you're convicted to a prison sentence. There is certainly something similar in your common law.

If he is just convicted and still is a free man it depends on his contract with his employer, e.g. the LA Kings.

I don't know for sure, but I'd be astonished if a standard NHL contract didn't contain a "morals" clause.

When Mike Danton went to prison, his contract with the Blues was terminated, IIRC.

I don't know for sure, but I'd be astonished if a standard NHL contract didn't contain a "morals" clause.

When Mike Danton went to prison, his contract with the Blues was terminated, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure you're correct on this.

Charges of this nature are so barbaric it's saddening to see. Considering with athletes it's always some jacked dude at least twice the size as his lady I think it's good for the leagues to distance themselves right away until the smoke clears & the facts are on the table.

He's being paid for now. The league and the NHLPA have an agreement on this, fortunately. My comments on the financial issues were connected with the Rice case where his contract was terminated. I started talking about one thing (suspensions like this one) and moved on in my head to long-term suspensions/terminations such as the Rice case.

My apologies. I was terribly unclear and rambling.

He is being paid for this suspension at this time, but if his suspension extends beyond his contract, or if he is terminated (like Rice), his family would suffer financially.

There was film of Rice knocking his wife out. That's a different situation. If he is convicted, he should lose the opportunity to play in the NHL. if not, he'll be brought back.

Most, if not all, professional athletes (public figures) will have morality clauses in their contracts. This is why they can be terminated for legal issues where most "normal" people, working "normal" jobs would not necessarily suffer the same consequences.