• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
trule23

future captains?

Rate this topic

Smith definitely won't be captain. He's been arrested twice and doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer. Tatar also seems to lack the smarts to wear a letter.

My money would be on DeKeyser--just the intelligence in his game and the way he seems to handle himself off the ice. And I'd put Nyquist behind him for pretty much the same reasons.

Of our prospects, Larkin, Nastasiuk, Ouellet, and possibly even Mantha, I could see wearing letters one day.

Edited by Nevermind

Smith arrested twice? Where the f*** have I been? I know Sheahan was arrested for drinking and driving in his infamous Teletubby costume, and he did have Smith's ID, but as far as I know, Smith has never been arrested for anything, let alone twice? I don't get where people get this notion that Smith isn't smart?... He's a little goofy, but I wouldn't say he's not smart, or "not the sharpest knife in the drawer"...

Edited by krsmith17

Smith definitely won't be captain. He's been arrested twice and doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer. Tatar also seems to lack the smarts to wear a letter.

My money would be on DeKeyser--just the intelligence in his game and the way he seems to handle himself off the ice. And I'd put Nyquist behind him for pretty much the same reasons.

Of our prospects, Larkin, Nastasiuk, Ouellet, and possibly even Mantha, I could see wearing letters one day.

In interviews Smith actually seems to be one of the more articulate players around. I don't see him as captain, though. He's got a bit of a temper/ and shows his frustration on the ice, which is okay with me, but our Captains have been steadying figures for the team. Maybe he'll change as he develops, though. DD does fit that mould, but he would have to develop into a #1 D (which I could see).

I don't see Tatar as a future captain (or alternate). Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but I just don't see it in him...

I think it's a totally outside shot, and not likely, but I just have this feeling he'd really rise to it. I can't quantify why at all, though.

So I decided to bump this thread because of something I saw watching the game the other day.

As the team was heading to the locker room vs the jets, I believe it was after the second.

But there was a kid with his hand out trying to get high fives from players and he was ignored by quite a few, then deke slapped his hand and everyone after him (some of the kids, sheahan, tats, smith i think etc) all followed suit.

I know this is a minimal example, but I think it shows how much the kids look up to him. He stepped in and was relied upon heavily almost immediately, and if he can continue to improve and become a 1-2 guy, I could see him being captain.

I also think it would be awesome to have a Michigan born captain.

So I decided to bump this thread because of something I saw watching the game the other day.

As the team was heading to the locker room vs the jets, I believe it was after the second.

But there was a kid with his hand out trying to get high fives from players and he was ignored by quite a few, then deke slapped his hand and everyone after him (some of the kids, sheahan, tats, smith i think etc) all followed suit.

I know this is a minimal example, but I think it shows how much the kids look up to him. He stepped in and was relied upon heavily almost immediately, and if he can continue to improve and become a 1-2 guy, I could see him being captain.

I also think it would be awesome to have a Michigan born captain.

I'm still thinking Nyquist but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Dekeyser. Seems like a good kid, speaks pretty well and he's just so steady.