• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nyquistfan14

Weiss sent down to GR- conditioning assignment

Rate this topic

That definitely doesn't sound good.

It's hard to put a lot of stock in what St. James says but if true then this sounds more like a deliberate punishment than a conditioning stint to get back into the lineup.

When I brought the possibility up before people where saying no way...the team loves his compete level...

Whatever the case is, getting playing time is better than not playing but this contract could turn into a mess if he doesn't figure things out very soon.

This is good. Many of us suspected his biggest problem is getting comfortable with the system and back up to NHL game speed after not playing for the better part of two years. The AHL gives him this opportunity without compromising the Wings' chances of winning each night.

Edit: anything following "From what I gather..." coming from St. James I take as meaning "I'm completely guessing here but don't want to come off as uninformed..."

Edited by Echolalia

When I brought the possibility up before people where saying no way...the team loves his compete level...

Whatever the case is, getting playing time is better than not playing but this contract could turn into a mess if he doesn't figure things out very soon.

Babcock himself said that he likes how hard he is working and that he has a good attitude. Until someone of importance says otherwise I'll believe what the coach said. To me your speculations hold as much water as st. James.

I was not a big fan on the signing but I never expected this. I know all points and games count especially when a fringe team like the wings but, I'd rather see a 7-10 stint of straight games of him on the top six if he shows nothing it's time to move on and get someone else in his place. I'd much rather see a second line center with more jam physicality and nastiness than weiss

Can I pose a question without people from both sides of a certain argument flying off the handle? Probably not, but I'll try...

When one considers our difficulties in signing free agents lately, and one considers the "luck" of many of the free agents we've signed lately, is it reasonable to wonder whether it's had an impact on guys decisions to come here? We know at least one former player didn't have kind things to say about his time here (largely about coach, and personally I think the guy is an *******), and when you consider that we've had a few regular NHL guys sent down to GR, now even Weiss...it just makes me wonder what the perception outside of the organization is. I know it's just a conditioning stint, but the guy's also been benched for all but one game in which he cracked the lineup due to an injury and played 8 minutes, so it hardly matters when we're talking about people having their careers buried when they come to Detroit.

Babcock himself said that he likes how hard he is working and that he has a good attitude. Until someone of importance says otherwise I'll believe what the coach said. To me your speculations hold as much water as st. James.

I'm sure Weiss is working and trying hard, but if Babs really did like how he was looking Weiss would be in the lineup and not on his way to Grand Rapids.

I was not a big fan on the signing but I never expected this. I know all points and games count especially when a fringe team like the wings but, I'd rather see a 7-10 stint of straight games of him on the top six if he shows nothing it's time to move on and get someone else in his place. I'd much rather see a second line center with more jam physicality and nastiness than weiss

I'm in the same boat didn't like the signing back then and for sure don't like it right now. But I expected Weiss to at least become a somewhat constant contributor twindling between a second/third line center. Personally I like the guy but he isn't what the Wings needed, I wanted someone meaner who goes to the net hard and can create space for Pasha, Z and Goose. That being said it is what it is now and at some point this season, the direction will become clear but keep in mind even if things go south the only one controlling his own destiny will be Weiss, because he has a NMC clause. Nobody in this league would be touching that contract.

When one considers our difficulties in signing free agents lately, and one considers the "luck" of many of the free agents we've signed lately, is it reasonable to wonder whether it's had an impact on guys decisions to come here? We know at least one former player didn't have kind things to say about his time here (largely about coach, and personally I think the guy is an *******), and when you consider that we've had a few regular NHL guys sent down to GR, now even Weiss...it just makes me wonder what the perception outside of the organization is. I know it's just a conditioning stint, but the guy's also been benched for all but one game in which he cracked the lineup due to an injury and played 8 minutes, so it hardly matters when we're talking about people having their careers buried when they come to Detroit.

Intesting question but I think the problem is two fold:

1. Wings aren't a contender and in a rebuild/retool phase with an unknown future plus Holland seems to be have the reputation of lowballer around some players - big UFAs want to win and get paid or be overpaid for joining one of the lesser teams (see Bolland and his ridiculous 5,5 per in Florida).

Also a condition stint is better than watching the game from the press box, it keeps the player in shape and helps him to get his game going.

I'm sure Weiss is working and trying hard, but if Babs really did like how he was looking Weiss would be in the lineup and not on his way to Grand Rapids.

Umm no... Lots of wings coming off injury go to gr for a conditioning stint to get back in game shape before playing. Why does this magically have to be different?

Umm no... Lots of wings coming off injury go to gr for a conditioning stint to get back in game shape before playing. Why does this magically have to be different?

Generally speaking I agree with you. However in this case I think his conditioning stint has more to do with him sitting the past several weeks, and not as much with his injury.

I fear Weiss is headed to the Island of Misfit Red Wings toys to join a water gun that squirts jelly, Bill Ranford, Uwe Krupp, Mike Modano, a spotted elephant, Robert Lang, Wendel Clark, Derian Hatcher, and a cowboy who rides an ostrich.

Edited by Jersey Wing

All of you thinking he will never play in Detroit, do you not realize he is signed another 3 years after this year? This conditioning stint is simply to bring him up to game speed so he can contribute to the wings offensively and defensively. They even have samuelsson a shot in his last year. You really think they will bench a $5 million a year player for 4 years? He will be a regular before the end of December like I've said before and it will probably be in November

I fear Weiss is headed to the Island of Misfit Red Wings toys to join a water gun that squirts jelly, Bill Ranford, Uwe Krupp, Mike Modano, a spotted elephant, Robert Lang, Wendel Clark, Derian Hatcher, and a cowboy who rides an ostrich.

His contract is worse than those other players, other than Hatcher's.

Weiss is the type of player that is hurt by the current CBA's limitation on the amount of salary a team can eat when trading a player. Weiss is a perfect example of a player that might flourish on another team, but is relegated to the bench or the minors because no other team will take his contract. If the league allowed trades like in baseball, where the Wings could eat a chunk of Weiss' salary in order to facilitate a trade, both the player and the organization would be able to get a fresh start.

Weiss is the type of player that is hurt by the current CBA's limitation on the amount of salary a team can eat when trading a player. Weiss is a perfect example of a player that might flourish on another team, but is relegated to the bench or the minors because no other team will take his contract. If the league allowed trades like in baseball, where the Wings could eat a chunk of Weiss' salary in order to facilitate a trade, both the player and the organization would be able to get a fresh start.

The league does allow salary retention.

Up to %50.

Robert Lang deserves better than to be on this list.