• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

toby91_ca

Jagr

Rate this topic

Do you think he'll hang around long enough to pass Messier in career points?

- We know it is impossible to catch Gretzky

- We probably think he has a very good chance to get to #4

- Passing Howe and Messier is probably the real tough question...I think getting past those two is unlikely but possible if he keeps playing.

Not sure what the numbers are for career totals, but I see Jagr probably playing next season as well..

at this point of his career he has the knack of disapearing for 58 minutes then putting a point on the board, so hes pretty consistent in that way. Seems to have a knack for getting points

Edited by WingsallTheway

Agreed, if he never went to KHL, he would most certainly already be the 2nd highest point getter all-time. He's currently 89 points behind Howe and 126 points behind Messier. He scored 67 points last year, so if he comes back again next year I'd say he's has a decent shot at catching Howe, but it would be tough to catch Messier. Statistically, if he puts up the same numbers this year and next year as he did last year, he'll catch him, I just think the likelihood of that happening is low.

Just thought I'd bring it up as I saw a comment somewhere today about Jagr not "hanging on" but actually still being a very effective player. I probably realized, but didn't think about it much that he was very close to the top of all-time point getters. I'm not a fan of his at all (not that I have any great dislike for him).

1 Wayne Gretzky C 1979-1980 1998-1999 1,487 894 1,963 2,857 +518 577 204 73 91 12 5,089

2 Mark Messier C 1979-1980 2003-2004 1,756 694 1,193 1,887 +210 1,910 179 63 92 15 4,219

3 Gordie Howe R 1946-1947 1979-1980 1,767 801 1,049 1,850 +87 1,685 39 5 18

4 Ron Francis C 1981-1982 2003-2004 1,731 549 1,249 1,798 -10 979 188 12 79 13 3,754

5 Marcel Dionne C 1971-1972 1988-1989 1,348 731 1,040 1,771 +28 600 234 19 74 1 5,366

6 Jaromir Jagr NJD R 1990-1991 2014-2015 1,481 707 1,054 1,761 +292 1,013 202 11 125 11 5,124

I don't see him passing Howe, personally. Having said that, 89 points over 2 seasons isn't much of a stretch. I guess if he makes it that far theres a high chance he could beat out Messier as well, which is impressive considering he played in the KHL.

Didn't he play 3 seasons in the khl too? At that point he was still close to a ppg pace when he let, probably could add another 200 points to his total of he stayed in the nhl

50 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Petr Klima was All-Star talent, but had a questionable work ethic, and he enjoyed his 'off ice time' with Bob Probert.

If I remember correctly (much of this was courtesy of 'The Hockey News') both Jimmy Devellano, and  Bryan Murray had been through alot with both Probert, and Klima, and apparently they acknowledged the skillset that Jagr had, but preferred Primeau as he was a 'good Canadian kid'.

Funny though how things turn out for it was Primeau who was the centerpiece (pun intended) for the Shanahan trade.

You can't have everything, I guess. thanks for the history lesson, highly appreciated.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

And to think we drafted Keith Primeau instead of Jagr in the 1990 draft because of Petr Klima...

I was just going to mention this...they wre gunshy due to Petr's off ice barley pop problems.I guess they thought one Czech means they're all that way...but it's not like we were the only ones to pass on Jagr and its not like Jagr was the only better talent that we (and others) passed on to draft someone else. I sure would've taken Brodeur or Hatcher over Primeau, that's for sure!

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

And to think we drafted Keith Primeau instead of Jagr in the 1990 draft because of Petr Klima...

Still not as bad as the North Stars passing on Steve Yzerman and Pat LaFontaine in 1983 and drafting Brian Lawton. D'oh! I mean, Primeau at least helped us get Shanahan. 

On 10/28/2014 at 2:09 PM, number9 said:

Does anyone remember why he left for the KHL? If he hadn't done that he'd probably already be up there.

Sather opted not to re-sign him, so he went to Omsk of the KHL (where they made him captain) with plans to finish his career on his fathers team Kladno.

18 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Sather opted not to re-sign him, so he went to Omsk of the KHL (where they made him captain) with plans to finish his career on his fathers team Kladno.

I didn't know we were allowed to quote our own selves...

Edited by NerveDamage

3 hours ago, Hairy Lime said:

Still not as bad as the North Stars passing on Steve Yzerman and Pat LaFontaine in 1983 and drafting Brian Lawton. D'oh! I mean, Primeau at least helped us get Shanahan. 

Kind of like us passing on Jimmy Carson and taking Joe Murphy #1 overall.

9 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Kind of like us passing on Jimmy Carson and taking Joe Murphy #1 overall.

Hey look it works!

Anyhow, speaking of Klima and Carson and Murphy...We didn't draft Jimmy, but we later traded Klima and Murphy in a package for Jimmy, whom we traded for Coffey, whom we dealt along with Primeau (who we drafted instead of Jagr) for Shanny...

Edited by LeftWinger