• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Mantha getting closer.

Rate this topic

Is it just me or does Mantha sound more foreign than most of our Swedish and Russian players?

Edit: and holy s*** I just had the sound on and had to scroll up. I could have swore that was Babcock not Blashill

Edited by ben_usmc

Another great performance by Mantha last night. He really is the complete package, let's just hope he can translate all that skill to an elite NHL talent. He's a massive guy and for his size, he can really move, definitely has underrated speed. He has unbelievable hands and has the knack to always win those puck battles. His best asset though is his shot and ability to find the open ice and finish on his chances. He is already being tightly checked in the minors so he is going to have to adjust a little if he's going to have the same success down there and then eventually in the NHL. He also shows a little grit at times, willing to go to the hard areas of the ice, and even stand up for his teammates. The NHL player he resembles the most in my opinion is a left handed Jeff Carter. I want to say that he'll be slightly better than Carter but that would probably be hugely biased on my part lol and I shouldn't get too ahead of myself... :lol:

Mantha had a great goal last night, set up by Pulkkinen. Pulkkinen's play making ability definitely goes under the radar because of his ability to score goals with that incredible slap shot, but he is a really good set up guy as well. Also, I think his speed and defensive awareness go unnoticed a lot of the time as well. He is deceptively fast, probably because he has a somewhat awkward looking stride, and he's always back checking the opposition. As high as we all are on Mantha, it would not surprise me at all to see Pulkkinen get the first call-up, and rightfully so. He's put in his time and has been playing great for a lot longer than Mantha has been around. I also want to see Callahan get the call soon. He has been playing great hockey and would look so much better on that forth line wing, in place of Andersson, along side of Glendening and Miller.

2 games, 1 goal and about 10 shots already. had 6 last night. very clear what he wants to do. Nice to see the size he is listed at by the griffs. Last year Val'dor had him at 6-5/205. The griffs list him at 6-4/214. When we drafted him most scouting services had him at 6-4/190. So he has already gained 20+ pounds.

Everything you read about him-haven't seen him live yet...... talks about his size, his speed, his great shooting ability, and yes his edge.

I hope to be down at the VA in December to watch him. January might be to late......

Damn, I'll have to triple check, but I don't see the Griffins coming out west to play the Abbottsford Heat (60 min from me) this season. Crap.

Edit: Damn for me. Heat moved out of Abbottsford to New York.

Edited by T.Low

Yeah, Frk definitely needs some kind of spark to get him going. I'm really surprised he hasn't been producing much, to be honest. He's not known to be the strongest skater, but has improved a LOT in that regard, and he has an amazing shot and pretty decent hands as well. I think (like many professional athletes) it definitely comes down to confidence with him. Once he pots a couple more goals, I think he will build off that and we'll start to see what he really can do. I've seen glimpses of that in some games but he tends to hold on to the puck for too long at times, and doesn't make the smart play. It's too bad that he's the first guy taken out of the lineup every time though. When Weiss went down for that game, he was taken out, when Mantha made his debut, he was taken out, when Nosek comes back, he will be taken out. I've seen a lot more promise from Frk, then I have from a couple other players. I really haven't been impressed with Mark Zengerle, and I think he should be the odd man out way more often than Frk, but that's just my opinion...

Here's an interesting tidbit I just ran across in a Khan article about Nestrasil...

"[Nestrasil] would have been buried further down the depth chart once Pavel Datsyuk and Weiss return from injuries and after the club promotes top prospect Anthony Mantha, which it will likely do if he produces in the AHL the next few weeks."

The bolded part is interesting because until very recently Khan had repeatedly taken the stance that as a result of his injury (and lost training camp), it would be unlikely that Mantha would crack Detroit's roster this season. This sounds almost definitive. As in, someone told Khan (off the record) that he'll be promoted if he plays well out of the game. Usually Khan's good about acknowledging when he's speculating. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Here's an interesting tidbit I just ran across in a Khan article about Nestrasil...

"[Nestrasil] would have been buried further down the depth chart once Pavel Datsyuk and Weiss return from injuries and after the club promotes top prospect Anthony Mantha, which it will likely do if he produces in the AHL the next few weeks."

The bolded part is interesting because until very recently Khan had repeatedly taken the stance that as a result of his injury (and lost training camp), it would be unlikely that Mantha would crack Detroit's roster this season. This sounds almost definitive. As in, someone told Khan (off the record) that he'll be promoted if he plays well out of the game. Usually Khan's good about acknowledging when he's speculating. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

I'm not seeing it, Pulu has to be the next call up with how he's producing.

Great fight, now never do it again... the last thing, he, the Griffins, or the Wings need is him missing a couple months with a broken hand...

I'm all for a good fight, but let the jobbers that are not relied on heavily, to handle that sort of business, not our most highly touted prospect since Jesus...

So, if Mantha is coming up, which forwards are getting traded for that d-man we need!? Oh wait. Already a thread for that. Interesting wrinkle nevertheless...

Anyway, I don't think it's a problem to bring him up for at least a bit. He should get a few games so that Babcock can see what he's got, and so that MANAGEMENT sees how Babcock uses the kid. If this teams woes really are behind the bench, they need to see how Babcock is going to deal with a raw/untested talent* like Mantha, no?

*by that I mean, in the NHL.

EDIT: Clarity

Edited by e_prime

Guest DeGraa55

Great fight, now never do it again... the last thing, he, the Griffins, or the Wings need is him missing a couple months with a broken hand...

I'm all for a good fight, but let the jobbers that are not relied on heavily, to handle that sort of business, not our most highly touted prospect since Jesus...

Because we have so many other guys that can fight lol