• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukianDekes

Wings great Gordie Howe resting after 'serious stroke'

Rate this topic

Detroit — Hockey legend Gordie Howe, 86, suffered a serious stroke Sunday in Texas, has lost some function on one side of his body and has difficulty speaking.

The all-time Red Wings great, whom millions across North America call "Mr. Hockey," is resting at his daughter's home in Lubbock, according to his son, Dr. Murray Howe.

"Basically, sometime in the early morning on Sunday he suffered a pretty bad stroke," said Howe, who heads the department of radiology at Toledo Hospital.

"The right side of his body is very, very weak. He's unable to stand without help. He's able to speak, but very, very difficult to speak.

"He knows who he is. He knows the people around him. But it is very difficult for him to get up and walk around. So he is pretty much confined to his bed right now. So we're just trying to keep him comfortable, and that's our goal."

Howe played 25 seasons with the Red Wings from 1946 to 1971, won four Stanley Cups, six Hart Trophies as most valuable player and six Art Ross Trophies as leading scorer in the NHL.

With Sid Abel and Ted Lindsay, and later Alex Delvecchio and Lindsay, Howe comprised "The Production Line," the most potent offensive scoring unit in the NHL from the late 1940s through the mid-1950s.

Howe is a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, as is his son, Mark.

His late wife, Colleen, who did much to manage her husband and sons' hockey careers, and later ran for Congress in Macomb County, died in 2009.

Howe had suffered through a difficult summer, requiring spinal surgery. But Murray Howe said he had returned to fairly fit shape, walking as much as a mile per day, before the stroke.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2014/10/28/wings-great-gordie-howe-resting-serious-stroke/18079837/

Sad news. Gordie has lived a long, illustrious life.

I hope he lives out his last years down in TX surrounded by his family and friends and not in too much pain.

Boy oh boy, to be stricken with Alzheimer's - forgetting those around you day by day is really, really tough.

Prayers to him and his family.

Things are not sounding too good:

"I feel like this is his final lap around the rink," Murray Howe, one of Gordie's three sons, told the Free Press tonight. "I'm guessing that he's not going to recover ... but then again, he's about as strong as they get. If anybody can do it he can."

"The doctor said those mini-strokes would gradually get worse and worse," said Mark, like his father a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame. "With the type of dementia he has, the long-term outlook is not good. Dad was with me most of summer, and he had a very difficult summer. He had surgery, and that got rid of some of the pain. But he had small strokes, and we were told there were ultimately going to be bigger and bigger ones. That was predicted six months ago. And that's been the case.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2014/10/28/detroit-red-wings-gordie-howe-stroke/18089603/

This is sad, especially at his age and health prior to the stroke. I've read stories of guys in their 40's who have had strokes and the massive recovery process. Its not an easy thing to recover from, especially when you are Gordie's age. I hope he's not suffering :(.

Hopefully he goes quickly and peacefully.

Sorry but that post sucks :( Howe shouldn't go he is mr. hockey send him the best available doctors, best medicine care available so he can enjoy more years don't talk about him going :(

Howe's got this he will fight through it and enjoy more years I know !

Edited by frankgrimes

The few statements from his son Murray had me concerned from the start. When he commented right off the bat something to the effect of "We are keeping Gordie as comfortable as possible, til the end" it made me think this is not going to have a happy ending.