• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukianDekes

Wings great Gordie Howe resting after 'serious stroke'

Rate this topic

No ******* way!

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/19/gordie-howe-makes-amazing-recovery-following-stem-cell-treatment-in-mexico/

Gordie Howe “Mr. Hockey” Makes an Amazing Recovery

Following the press coverage of our father’s deteriorating medical condition, the Howe Family was contacted in late November by Dr. Maynard Howe, (CEO) and Dave McGuigan (VP) of Stemedica Cell Technologies. McGuigan knew our family as a result of his previous employment with the Detroit Red Wings. Stemedica is a biotechnology company that manufactures allogeneic adult stem cells in its US government licensed, cGMP facility in San Diego, California. Although no relation, Dr. Howe and his brothers Drs. David and Roger are hockey players and big Gordie Howe fans, having grown up in Minnesota. They wished to help our father by generously facilitating Dad’s participation in a stem cell clinical trial at Novastem, a licensed distributor of Stemedica’s products in Mexico.

Novastem is currently conducting federally licensed and Institutional Review Board approved clinical trials for several medical conditions, including stroke, using Stemedica’s stem cell products. At the time we were contacted, Mr. Hockey had been rapidly declining and was essentially bedridden with little ability to communicate or to eat on his own.

After reviewing the information on Stemedica and Novastem, our family decided to give our father this opportunity. On December 8th, Mr. Hockey underwent a two-day, non-surgical treatment at Novastem’s medical facility. The treatment included neural stem cells injected into the spinal canal on Day 1 and mesenchymal stem cells by intravenous infusion on Day 2. His response was truly miraculous. At the end of Day 1 he was walking with minimal effort for the first time since his stroke. By Day 2 he was conversing comfortably with family and staff at the clinic.

On the third day, he walked to his seat on the plane under his own power. By Day 5 he was walking unaided and taking part in helping out with daily household chores. When tested, his ability to name items has gone from less than 25% before the procedure to 85% today. His physical therapists have been astonished. Although his short term memory, strength, endurance and coordination have plenty of room for improvement, we are hopeful that he will continue to improve in the months to come.

As a family, we are thrilled that Dad’s quality of life has greatly improved, and his progress has exceeded our greatest expectations. Once again, we cannot emphasize how much you have fueled Mr. Hockey’s recovery and we thank everyone for their continued prayers and support.

Howe, 86, suffered what his family described as a “serious” stroke in late October, and another in early November. Recently, there have been reports of an uptick in health and, per various outlets, plans for Howe to make a public appearance in early February.

This really is amazing!

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/01/18/gordie-howe-stick-handling-stem-cell-treatment/21959997/

"I kicked around a soccer ball with him," son Murray Howe told the Windsor Star. "He's playing driveway hockey with his grandsons. He's faking out his great-grandson and then shooting the puck through the five hole. You really couldn't even tell he had a stroke at this point."

This is pretty sad.....

....pretty sad that Gordie had to go to a 3rd world country to have a life saving procedure done that this country, supposedly the greatest country on earth REFUSES to ok throught the FDA! Really America?f****** Tijuana, Mexico? Of course I could imagine the price you'd have to pay in America to have this procedure done if it ever got the ok to go forward with it. Obama and his cronies would have their hands all over it. Of course, they don't make as much money CURING these things as they do "TREATING" them...

...a story like this makes me happy for the patient, but pissess me the f*** off knowing that the cures are out there, yet the NWO just allows people to become debt slaves to medical bills and just die off in obvious population control attemtps. "They" don't want us living until we are 100, "they" want us dead before or soon after you retire and stop giving them you income taxes...

Libertarian, Minimum Government, Maximum Freedom!

Edited by LeftWinger

I agree with that too! It's the same idea, there is no reason anyone should interfere with anyone else's rights to free choice. If I want to have stem cells injected in my body to save my life from certain death, its my choice. I am not playing God, I just want to live a long healthy life. Freedom of Choice, I support it, I just wish that we really had it here! Thank Goodness Gordie was able to go somewhere and get this done....on a funny note, it makes you wonder if indeed Andy Kaufman is alive and well.

post-23414-0-11224800-1421628702_thumb.jpg

Trying to figure out how to post pics so I figured this one of Gordie fishing that I saw on Twitter would be a good first one. Kind of easy to see why dudes were scared to mess with him, don't think many were built like that in the 50's.

"I kicked around a soccer ball with him," son Murray Howe told the Windsor Star. "He's playing driveway hockey with his grandsons. He's faking out his great-grandson and then shooting the puck through the five hole. You really couldn't even tell he had a stroke at this point."

I see Gordie is already practicing so he can be our deadline acquisition!

Keep beating the odds Gordie, its great to hear he's getting better by the day!

Guest Playmaker

If anyone is interested, Dr. Maynard Howe, the CEO of the company that is running the clinical trials was on Olbermann tonight. Fascinating stuff. FWIW, they are running similar clinical trials in the US, but Gordie would have had to wait 6 months before getting treatment and his family didn't feel he'd make it that long, so they opted for the Mexican clinical trial.

They have the right attitude about it. It's an experimental treatment and the long-term side affects aren't known. And, of course, he was one of only a small handful of human subjects, apparently, so it's just anecdotal evidence.

But even if he still dies, like they said, at least he'll have some more dignity in his final days.