• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wheelchairsuperhero

10/29 GDT - Red Wings 4 @ Capitals 2

Rate this topic

Nesty comes from Babcock himself...

But I guess nicknames = serious business.

Oh I'm sorry. I forgot, we only discuss super serious issues here at LGWs. My bad.

If you need me I'll be over in the "Holloween pic!" thread.

Hey look on the bright side, anyone not named oulette or pulkkinen (sp?) Are really s***ting bed down in gr. Maybe the wings brass made decisions based on actual reasoning and proper evaluation

You must mean Pulky?

Nesty comes from Babcock himself...

But I guess nicknames = serious business.

I personally hate nicknames in sports. They're seldom any good and everyone wants everyone to have one. Not every player should have a nickname.

On the Wings, I can think only of Mule and Goose that have "real," non-shortened-name nicknames.

I personally hate nicknames in sports. They're seldom any good and everyone wants everyone to have one. Not every player should have a nickname.

On the Wings, I can think only of Mule and Goose that have "real," non-shortened-name nicknames.

Thank you. Don't forget Monster.

I just think that Nesty is super-cheese. Same goes for Howie, Abby, Millsie, Andy, Tatarsie :lol: Basically anything ending in "sie", "y" or "ie". Unless maybe you're a teammate/coach/trainer - someone in the dressing room.

Less anooying are Z, E, Helmer, Kronners, etc. But they're still sort of annoying.

Babcock's the worst for this. I can't rememeber the last timeI heard him call a player by his actualy name. But obviosuly he's earned the right (and has probably called them all much worse behind closed doors)

But whatever, as others have pointed out, it's not a big deal. And, for the record, I have typed "Abby" before and then felt a little weird about it.

Edited by rick zombo

I mean, even goose is short for gustav.

Yeah? How's that? You don't save yourself a single key-stroke in it's "shortened" form.

One of two reasons why I use nicknames. If I spelled out everyone's name, my posts would get that much more lengthy. So it saves time.

The other reason is that I'd hate to engage the wrath of the spelling police.

I can barely spell Ericsson right.

I can never remember if it's two Cs or two Ss or a k.

Don't even get me started on Abracadbrakator.

Nyquist = Goose

Tatar = Tots

Helm = Helmer

Kronwall = Kronners

Datsyuk = Dats, Pav

Zetterberg = Hank, Z

Kindl = Amazon (Kindle)

Jurco = Jurcs "Yurks"

I love the nicknames! But agree that they fly more if you are in the actual locker room. Usage probably reflects the fact that I wish I was one of the boys (also term that is used) in the locker room/have been in the past. Sorry if they annoy others but I will definitely continue to be using them!

Nyquist = Goose

Tatar = Tots

Helm = Helmer

Kronwall = Kronners

Datsyuk = Dats, Pav

Zetterberg = Hank, Z

Kindl = Amazon (Kindle)

Jurco = Jurcs "Yurks"

I love the nicknames! But agree that they fly more if you are in the actual locker room. Usage probably reflects the fact that I wish I was one of the boys (also term that is used) in the locker room/have been in the past. Sorry if they annoy others but I will definitely continue to be using them!

You forgot pasha for datsyuk, dk for dekeyser. disney.com for glendening, tinky winky for sheahan smitty for Smith and useless for kindl/quincey knees for Cleary...

We're we not doing every nickname? :)

There are forced nicknames that I'm not a fan of at all (or things like Goose that come from a bad pronounciation of Nyquist's name).

Then there are the vast majority of nicknames that just make sense to use. Z. Pav/Dats. Gordie. Danny. Mike/Babs. Nicknames are very much part of real life and not something that only happens in sports.

And I gotta say that I never imagined us being 9 games into the season with one of the biggest issues about the team being whether to say Nestrasil or Nesty. I thought for sure we'd talk about why Daniel Cleary is still in the lineup or why we re-signed Kyle Quincey.

I wasn't really talking about Nestrasil being compared to Franzen, or Nyquist. Just the casual "why is Nestrasil in the lineup" comments that pop up pretty often. Or saying we should waive him, when Jurco is not impressing at all and we can send him down.

Nestrasil is very new to the NHL. If he is starting out on this level and can add a bit of confidence when it comes to his offensive game, he will be a very solid player. He's not a defensive liability at all and he seems to be just quietly doing a good job regardless of situation. I can understand why he's not impressive to a lot of people, but he's been solid and he has earned the icetime he's getting.

Trotz gave a lot of credit to the Wings and most of all Dats and Z. He knows them well from his time in Nashville.

I actually agree with sending Jurco down. I was thinking that before the season even began when there was the Alfie vs. Jurco debate. I actually think krsmith was in agreement then, too.

I think Jurco being in the AHL could spark his play and the Griffins' offense.

Also, nice to see Trotz give Detroit the nod. Lot of mutual respect between both coaches.

Edited by Jesusberg

Nyquist = Goose

Tatar = Tots

Helm = Helmer

Kronwall = Kronners

Datsyuk = Dats, Pav

Zetterberg = Hank, Z

Kindl = Amazon (Kindle)

Jurco = Jurcs "Yurks"

You forgot pasha for datsyuk, dk for dekeyser. disney.com for glendening, tinky winky for sheahan smitty for Smith and useless for kindl/quincey knees for Cleary...

We're we not doing every nickname? :)

Not that i care about the great Nickname war of 2014 that's happening right now, but most of these are not technically nicknames- just a way of shortening a players name. Mule is a nickname, so is Tinky Winky, but Pasha is just short for Pavel.

I think the modern athletes have gotten lazy with their nickname giving, now everyone just puts a Y or S at the end of a persons name and bang you have an instant nickname. A nickname isn't instant oatmeal, it should have some real thought or reason behind it.

I'm really torn. I think Howard is that type of goalie you just don't say "let's trade him".

He had an average season last season. After all the .920+ hee put together in front of this defensive cluster eff, he get's a pass. I'm not going to count his sophomore year against him either. He bounced back in a big way towards the end of that season and into the playoffs, so he was forgiven in my eyes.

So in all, he's strung together several great seasons for us, and had 1 average season (.910). In front of a declining team to boot! Put this guy on a contending team and he takes them to the promise land. I believe Howard is that good of a goalie. Not 25-30. top 20 on a good season good. He's better than that.

With that said, it's going to suck to see him go. I know it's going to come down to it; Howard or Mrazek. The crummy thing about it is...Mrazek isn't going to to have any success with this team. He'll have about as much as Howard had. You'll only go as far as your offense takes you...and at the mercy of your brutal defense (better this year so far...thankfully).

When the time comes, I hope he's a good trade, and it's for somewhere he can succeed. Not to some bottom feeding team for a top 6 forward. He's a the top three reason why the playoff streak is still alive: Zetts, Datsyuk, Howie. I hope they treat him right.

Then again...Mrazek may end up the trade bait. That will just tick a whole lot of people off won't it. heh A good problem to have, but not at the same time.

Edited by Dynheart

Not that i care about the great Nickname war of 2014 that's happening right now, but most of these are not technically nicknames- just a way of shortening a players name. Mule is a nickname, so is Tinky Winky, but Pasha is just short for Pavel.

I think the modern athletes have gotten lazy with their nickname giving, now everyone just puts a Y or S at the end of a persons name and bang you have an instant nickname. A nickname isn't instant oatmeal, it should have some real thought or reason behind it.

Actually pasha is pavel in Russian. It's not short, it's the exact same length.

Actually pasha is pavel in Russian. It's not short, it's the exact same length.

I'm Russian so I'm going to say it like this, Pavel is Russian its not a translation into English from Pasha. Pasha is just another way of saying Pavel, lengthwise it's the same, but Pavel and Pasha are the same name also.

It's like Sam and Sammy, Sammy isn't short for Sam, but a softer way of saying Sam.

Edited by wings87

I'm Russian so I'm going to say it like this, Pavel is Russian its not a translation into English from Pasha. Pasha is just another way of saying Pavel, lengthwise it's the same, but Pavel and Pasha are the same name also.

It's like Sam and Sammy, Sammy isn't short for Sam, but a softer way of saying Sam.

Wow, learn something new every day. I thought pavel was the translation.

There is a Russian singer for a band I listen to named Masha Scream. Does this mean her name is also Mavel?

I wasn't really talking about Nestrasil being compared to Franzen, or Nyquist. Just the casual "why is Nestrasil in the lineup" comments that pop up pretty often. Or saying we should waive him, when Jurco is not impressing at all and we can send him down.

Nestrasil is very new to the NHL. If he is starting out on this level and can add a bit of confidence when it comes to his offensive game, he will be a very solid player. He's not a defensive liability at all and he seems to be just quietly doing a good job regardless of situation. I can understand why he's not impressive to a lot of people, but he's been solid and he has earned the icetime he's getting.

Trotz gave a lot of credit to the Wings and most of all Dats and Z. He knows them well from his time in Nashville.

Agreed about Trotz. He's always been one to credit where it's due.