• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nightfall

What happened to Calle Jarnkrok?

Rate this topic

I decided to look and see how Calle Jarnkrok was doing in Nashville. As many people here remember, we traded Jarnkrok for Legwand and Jarnkrok had a great ending to the season playing for Nashville. It was starting to look like Holland gave up a gem.

Seems that Jarnkrok had a problem cracking the lineup a few times this season and he has gone pointless so far. Not saying that Holland made the right or wrong move last season. Just that so far, he has started slowly.

The surprise so far is Fillip Forsberg who is leading the team in scoring. The Preds got him from the Caps last year for Erat. That trade is looking more like a steal.

Jarnkrok is probably going to be just fine.

In the same way that Jurco will be fine... Sheahan will be fine... Nestrasil will be fine...

Not every player is Nyquist and gets it going and keeps it going. Hence, Jarnkrok's season start.

He was traded away from the Wings and he got ice-time, and he said, "Hey, I'm gonna make the best of this and show them what they traded away." ...and LGW (not all of you) all went: "There's Holland.f****** up again. Trading away our best prospect for a worthless center isn't worth a s*** and that we won't even re-sign."

This year started and he's off to a slow start. Sophomore slump? Flash in the pan?

Remains to be seen.

I personally haven't watched enough of him to make a judgement. TBH, I don't really care.

I wish him all the luck in his career and pray that Holland doesn't have to re-acquire him a few years down the road for a first-round pick.

Edited by e_prime

The only thing that bugs me still is who we received in that deal. I think most people would have rather put Calle in our lineup then trade him for Legwand.

How many of those people are also willing to admit that this desire is motivated by the fact that Legwand's time here was pretty lackluster and hindsight is 20-20?

Legwand was put on a 4th line with talentless jobbers. Still don't understand why make that move and not give him more icetime. We had injuries at the time, but it could have been handled differently.

Then again, this is the same franchise that brought Cleary back for another season. Holland has gone mad like Henry VIII and no one higher up can do squat about it.

The only thing that bugs me still is who we received in that deal. I think most people would have rather put Calle in our lineup then trade him for Legwand.

How many of those people are also willing to admit that this desire is motivated by the fact that Legwand's time here was pretty lackluster and hindsight is 20-20?

For me Zero. Honestly my heart dropped into my stomach when I read who we got. It was David Legwand?!

Here's a good article which explains exactly why Jarnkrok isn't producing this season.

*SPOILER ALERT*

It's not because he sucks. http://www.sportsforecaster.com/tsf/hockey/articles.php?aid=1160

Q: I had very high hopes for Calle Jarnkrok this season. I even thought he'd challenge for rookie of the year. Instead, he's done nothing so far. Should I give up on him or does he still have a bright future?
- Bruce W. (Nashville, TN)

FI: You were not alone, Bruce. We were also very high on Jarnkrok this summer and felt like he was a true Calder candidate as well. Then the Predators signed veteran centers Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy a few weeks into the free agent signing period and changed Jarnkrok's fate. Now, Ribeiro and Roy are clearly Nashville's top two pivots, with Colin Wilson now back to playing his natural center position following the return of veteran Matt Cullen from injured reserve. Cullen is another natural center, but he's forced to play wing (as is another veteran natural center, Olli Jokinen). Also, let's not forget that eventually veteran Mike Fisher (Achilles surgery, IR) will also be back in the lineup at some point. Therefore, Jarnkrok owners need to concede the fact he won't be much of a fantasy factor this season. Those in deep keeper or dynasty leagues can probably stash him away and wait for a new development here, but those in year-to-year leagues who were counting on the Swedish playmaker for production this season need to cut bait and look for a replacement. Sometimes, fantasy hockey can become a very harsh reality. So, we feel for Bruce (and everybody else in the same boat).

Preds also changed coach so could be that obviously trots was more high on him than laviolette , as well preds also got neal Roy jokinen and ribeiro this year

I'm not worried about jarnkrok just yet

I'm not worried about him at all. He's not our problem.

He's a talented kid who probably won't get a real shot until he's traded away from Nashville or gets sick of the NHL and heads back to Europe. I thought I had read somewhere that he was a risk to go back to Sweden anyway, unless that was another Wings prospect.

Legwand was put on a 4th line with talentless jobbers. Still don't understand why make that move and not give him more icetime. We had injuries at the time, but it could have been handled differently.

Then again, this is the same franchise that brought Cleary back for another season. Holland has gone mad like Henry VIII and no one higher up can do squat about it.

Resigning Cleary is on Holland. Although it hasn't hurt the team much so far has it?

Relegating a 50 point guy to the the 4th line is on Babcock.

I'm not worried about him at all. He's not our problem.

And this should be the end of this thread.

Here's a good article which explains exactly why Jarnkrok isn't producing this season.

*SPOILER ALERT*

It's not because he sucks. http://www.sportsforecaster.com/tsf/hockey/articles.php?aid=1160

Q: I had very high hopes for Calle Jarnkrok this season. I even thought he'd challenge for rookie of the year. Instead, he's done nothing so far. Should I give up on him or does he still have a bright future?

- Bruce W. (Nashville, TN)

FI: You were not alone, Bruce. We were also very high on Jarnkrok this summer and felt like he was a true Calder candidate as well. Then the Predators signed veteran centers Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy a few weeks into the free agent signing period and changed Jarnkrok's fate. Now, Ribeiro and Roy are clearly Nashville's top two pivots, with Colin Wilson now back to playing his natural center position following the return of veteran Matt Cullen from injured reserve. Cullen is another natural center, but he's forced to play wing (as is another veteran natural center, Olli Jokinen). Also, let's not forget that eventually veteran Mike Fisher (Achilles surgery, IR) will also be back in the lineup at some point. Therefore, Jarnkrok owners need to concede the fact he won't be much of a fantasy factor this season. Those in deep keeper or dynasty leagues can probably stash him away and wait for a new development here, but those in year-to-year leagues who were counting on the Swedish playmaker for production this season need to cut bait and look for a replacement. Sometimes, fantasy hockey can become a very harsh reality. So, we feel for Bruce (and everybody else in the same boat).

This does beg the question: If Jarnkrok's so s*** hot that Holland needs to be castrated for trading him, why did Poile go out and sign Ribeiro and Roy?

This does beg the question: If Jarnkrok's so s*** hot that Holland needs to be castrated for trading him, why did Poile go out and sign Ribeiro and Roy?

Probably so that Nashville's entire season wasn't resting on the shoulders of an NHL rookie with a mere 12 games of experience under his belt.

Would you feel good going into a season with Riley Sheahan as your #1 center?

Probably so that Nashville's entire season wasn't resting on the shoulders of an NHL rookie with a mere 12 games of experience under his belt.

Would you feel good going into a season with Riley Sheahan as your #1 center?

Obviously not. I see what you're saying. And to be fair Ribeiro and Roy were risky signings. I guess Poile was just trying to fill his cupbaord.

The fact remains that Jarnkrok is way down Nashville's depth chart at the moment. He should be in Milwaukee right now.

Obviously not. I see what you're saying. And to be fair Ribeiro and Roy were risky signings. I guess Poile was just trying to fill his cupbaord.

The fact remains that Jarnkrok is way down Nashville's depth chart at the moment. He should be in Milwaukee right now.

Agreed. I'm just saying that he's not producing because he's not getting any opportunity, not because he's no good. He's only getting checking line minutes (13:26 per game) and at 180 lbs. he's not going to do you much good on a checking line.

Edited by kipwinger

He's a talented kid who probably won't get a real shot until he's traded away from Nashville or gets sick of the NHL and heads back to Europe. I thought I had read somewhere that he was a risk to go back to Sweden anyway, unless that was another Wings prospect.

Yeah, that was pretty much exactly the rationale that was floated for trading him. Perhaps it was leaked by the Wings to lessen the blow, or maybe it was an honest perception. The Legwand/Jarnkrok thing bothered me a bit at the time, but not much since. First, I thought we got pretty much what we should have expected in Legwand. People think of the guy as the #2 overall pick behind Lecavlier and the face of the Preds for their early years, but he was never a top line talent. He broke 20 goals exactly twice despite being somewhat durable, and even 30 assists was a bit of a reach for him. Detroit was desperate for C depth at that time, and he provided some.

Jarnkrok has shown absolutely no signs of being a future star, or even putting up a serviceable career like Legwand's. He still could, of course, or he could be in Europe next year.

Christ. That "back to Sweden" rumor has been debunked so many times it's not even funny and yet it still gets repeated. Both the Red Wings front office (Assistant GM Ryan Martin) as well as Jarnkrok himself have denied that this was ever a factor. Whatever else may come of this kid's career, he was NOT traded because he was a "back to Sweden" flight risk.

we needed Legwand. Babcock relegated him to the 4th line so he could control his point production, so when they lowballed him come July 1st, they could use only his red wing points as the excuse. David was smarter than that, even though his first choice was to end his career as a Red Wing. Nothing personal, just business.