• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Do we need a trade to get our offence going ?

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

I guess you would know. You're always so good at picking up on my sarcasm. You never leave blocks of text with links to videos as evidence trying to refute my sarcastic comment. A comment like, idk, Subban is classy? ;)

Ya he puts lids to shame.

Sometimes, the special kid gets to walk with the prom queen.

In this case, Babcock has the special kid going out with the prom queen.

I thought it was Datsyuk who likes having Abdelkader on his line.

Edited by gcom007

I thought it was Datsyuk who likes having Abdelkader on his line.

That's what he said. But what else is he going to say? So it's hard to put much stock into pronouncements like that.

That said, Abby's been far from our biggest issue so far. And I thought he would be. I was wrong about that, but I do question anyone lamenting his play thus far.

To me, there's a couple things we've got to do to score goals. DEFINITELY need to get an offensive defenseman with a dynamic skill set. Pay whatever you need to get someone like Green or Yandle. Don't cheap out. Secondly, we need two real top six centers who are healthy. If those are going to be Datsyuk and Zetterberg, then go find another winger. If Z is going to play the wing, go find a center. In today's league it's easier to find a winger than a top flight center, so I'd probably move Z to center for the remainder of the season...but that's risky because he and Dats are injury prone and older. So it's not a good strategy long term. Probably should have traded for Spezza, Kesler, O'Reilly, or signed Stastny when we could. Alas hindsight.

Edited by kipwinger

That's what he said. But what else is he going to say? So it's hard to put much stock into pronouncements like that.

That said, Abby's been far from our biggest issue so far. And I thought he would be. I was wrong about that, but I do question anyone lamenting his play thus far.

To me, there's a couple things we've got to do to score goals. DEFINITELY need to get an offensive defenseman with a dynamic skill set. Pay whatever you need to get someone like Green or Yandle. Don't cheap out. Secondly, we need two real top six centers who are healthy. If those are going to be Datsyuk and Zetterberg, then go find another winger. If Z is going to play the wing, go find a center. In today's league it's easier to find a winger than a top flight center, so I'd probably move Z to center for the remainder of the season...but that's risky because he and Dats are injury prone and older. So it's not a good strategy long term. Probably should have traded for Spezza, Kesler, O'Reilly, or signed Stastny when we could. Alas hindsight.

Puck mover you say? I think Ian white is still available

Nothing against Abdelkader, but when guys like him are getting top line minutes - ya know sumthin ain't right.

Again with the Abdlekader.

We all realize that he's probably been the team's 4th or 5th best all-around forward this year right? If anyone's been stinking up Datsyuk's game on that line right now it's Tatar.100%.

I'd go as far as saying if this team was able to aquire a legit scoring winger to play with Datyuk, I'd still leave Abdlekader on the other wing.

We all realize that he's probably been the team's 4th or 5th best all-around forward this year right? If anyone's been stinking up Datsyuk's game on that line right now it's Tatar.100%.

Agree on that part, Tatar and even more so Jurco are big parts of why our offense has been so lackluster thus far.

Yes, we've needed a scoring forward for at least three years now. But that's easier said than done. While we have some great young players I don't know if waiting years for them to really become dynamic impact players is a great move. I'm not in favor of selling the farm, but losing one or two prospects for a guy who can score now and for a few years is a good play. This team is finally a good team, but to become a great team who can reliably win games and playoff series we need a top defender (not just another good young player) and a top scoring winger.

I know we added players like Nyquist, but we were just that bad that while I would count Nyquist as a scoring winger, we STILL need another one on top of him to be truly top tier when push comes to shove.

I also think that the "type" of scoring winger matters as well. I don't want another guy who plays the exact same way as the guys we've already got. A power forward type (Stafford, Ladd) or pure goal scorer (Semin) would be preferable to another two way guy that's good for 50 pts. (mostly assists). I think we really need to diversify our offensive attack.

I also think that the "type" of scoring winger matters as well. I don't want another guy who plays the exact same way as the guys we've already got. A power forward type (Stafford, Ladd) or pure goal scorer (Semin) would be preferable to another two way guy that's good for 50 pts. (mostly assists). I think we really need to diversify our offensive attack.

I'd love Ladd. What do you think it'd take to get him?

I'd love Ladd. What do you think it'd take to get him?

Who knows, he's a UFA after this year. But I think Winnipeg would be stupid not to wait until the deadline. They may end up as a playoff team and decide not to trade anyway, but if they do he'll go for a lot. He's a great player, good leader, and the kind of guy that you win with in the playoffs. I think it would take a lot to get him. Not an outrageous amount, but a lot.

Exactly. A successful team has a diverse attack. An ability to change or throw a few different things at the opposition. Right now we don't really have that. Tatar is like that but isn't scoring enough to be relied on. We really need a new angle to our attack and that can really only be done with a new player.

Exactly. A successful team has a diverse attack. An ability to change or throw a few different things at the opposition. Right now we don't really have that. Tatar is like that but isn't scoring enough to be relied on. We really need a new angle to our attack and that can really only be done with a new player.

I completely agree with you about the diversity of our attack, but I don't really get the Tatar knock. He's on track to score 20-25 goals this year. I'm not sure what people are expecting out of a third line winger. He's doing his job just fine.

Ladd would be nice as would Wheeler but I don't think Winnipeg will do anything before the trade deadline and then some heavy hitters will (again) go all in.

The best option would be going hard and seriously after Boychuck = making the best offer of all clubs if still decides to sign elsewhere the Wings would have at least given it their best shot.

I completely agree with you about the diversity of our attack, but I don't really get the Tatar knock. He's on track to score 20-25 goals this year. I'm not sure what people are expecting out of a third line winger. He's doing his job just fine.

It wasn't really a knock on him, he's just not the type of player I'm talking about. We need a 30-35 goal scorer.

Ladd would be nice as would Wheeler but I don't think Winnipeg will do anything before the trade deadline and then some heavy hitters will (again) go all in.

The best option would be going hard and seriously after Boychuck = making the best offer of all clubs if still decides to sign elsewhere the Wings would have at least given it their best shot.

Good call. Not surprised that you think the best way to improve our offense is to "go hard" after a defensive defenseman whose career high is 23 points. Because we clearly don't already have that in Dekeyser.

This thread is about producing more points. Boychuk, regardless of his other talents, isn't going to contribute to that in any way. So maybe you can "go hard" over Boychuk in a more appropriate thread...or in the privacy of your own home?

It wasn't really a knock on him, he's just not the type of player I'm talking about. We need a 30-35 goal scorer.

Agreed. I though you were suggesting he wasn't living up to expectations. Yeah, he's not a top six winger...yet.

Ladd? Boychuck? I think Holland will probably wait until the offseason and just sign some of these guys as UFAs. :ninja:

Ken Holland? Ken Holland the Red Wings GM? Will sign these guys in the offseason? The hockey offseason?

No he won't.

Edited by kipwinger

I was worried someone would think I was serious. Should have used two ninja emoticons I guess.

Touche. You totally had me reeling on that one. To be fair, he won't trade for them either.

Edited by kipwinger

I'd rather just be patient and and see what we have in Mantha/Pulk before making a trade just for the sake of trading. Mantha has the tools and skillset to become that big, top six winger that we're looking for and there are a number of D-men that could become available at the trade deadline (and in our system at GR). No sense in making a trade this early into the season.

I'd rather just be patient and and see what we have in Mantha/Pulk before making a trade just for the sake of trading. Mantha has the tools and skillset to become that big, top six winger that we're looking for and there are a number of D-men that could become available at the trade deadline (and in our system at GR). No sense in making a trade this early into the season.

I agree with your sentiment, I mean, we're still a playoff caliber team and all. There's time to wait for sure. But the problem with the wait and see approach is that everyone else gets older. Which would be fine if our best players were Patrick Kane or Sidney Crosby. But they aren't. Our best players are 33-36 years old. Even if Mantha and Pulks and one or two of the kid defensemen turn into something special, they're not going to do it as rookies. They're going to do it in 2 or 3 years when Dats is cooling his heals in Russia and Zetterberg's a cripple.

:lol:

And yes, no s***. He most likely won't do anything. Ever. Or at least that's how it feels as a Wings fan these days.

That's not true, he'll sit on his prospects. Move a few of them onto the big club and lose a few to the cap crunch. And if we win a cup with Nyquist and Mantha...even if it's 10 years from now, everyone will gush over what a genius he is. "Because sometimes the best move is the one you don't make".

Edited by kipwinger

I'd move Helm (with package) to Winnipeg for what we need. The local kid going home angle would take the sting out of it for him, and they've got a lot we should want.

When is the last time the Wings moved a popular player?

Actually, when was the last time we moved anyone or Holland did anything? (oce again, I'm not trying to offend Kevin Porter).